Outdated/incorrect signage/information

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
TempeFox

Re: Outdated/incorrect signage/information

Post by TempeFox »

"One of the J poles at Sydenham station indicates route 453. Is this one of the former private routes from Marrickville Metro, or the previous route number of the current 425? Either way it is a decade or so out of date."

This my knowledge of this route Ken.
453 was a route that operated for short time out of Tempe. It ran from Rockdale to some back street near White Bay. STA had a w/end to setup for this service as the private company was unable to operate for whatever reason. It was a Mon-Fri, Sat Morning service then after a time it was cut back to peak hour service from Tempe when 425 was extended to Rockdale.

At one stage Greg Travers DM at the time had that silver Leyland/Volvo at Tempe to used on the 453 only. This lasted for one afternoon as this bus could not get over a dish gutter on Parramatta Rd. The service was discontinued with the closing of Tempe Depot.

And my place in history was to operate the last shift on Fri 10-01-92
Which was a broken and covered all trips.
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

pgt wrote:I'll have to check if it's come down now but for a long while after Westway became Transit First became Veolia, there was still a Westway bus stop sign on Ashford Avenue Milperra near the shops northbound.

(The old Southtrans signage around Baldface/Blakehurst seems to have disappeared now... took long enough!)

--Phil.
I think some REALLY old south trans signage is still at Rockdale Plaza, put there for the 958
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Glen

Post by Glen »

TempeFox wrote:453 was a route that operated for short time out of Tempe. It ran from Rockdale to some back street near White Bay. STA had a w/end to setup for this service as the private company was unable to operate for whatever reason.
I remember that. It was last run by Arrow Coaches together with the 355 from Bondi Junction to Marrickville Metro. The company lost its' way and could not provide enough vehicles to cover the peak. Towards the end drivers seemed to do their own thing, working long shifts with minimal breaks to provide some semblence of a timetable. The buses were based at a depot in Arncliffe shared with a coach operator not related to them.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

Thanks TempeFox for that info.

Further to old company names on bus stop signs - there are still a very large number of bus stop signs around the Casula/Glenfield and surrounding areas for "Neville's Bus Service".
Ben_Daui
Favourite Vehicle: 14.5 Scania

Post by Ben_Daui »

On the Corner of Rainbow St & Kennedy St Kingsford on the T-Pole there is a old Route marker 077.
Is this a old industrial route or current?
transit2203
Favourite Vehicle: South African train 5M2a

Post by transit2203 »

The bus stop outside Lewisham public (citybound) tells us that the L82 stops there. Also there are pointers "445 div" on Canterdury rd & Gordon st, pointing left into Gordon st
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote:Also at Parra when the ex-HPT routes were reorganised a last year they changed the list of route numbers on one side of the sign at the stop but left the old routes listed on the other side of the sign. Not sure if this has been corrected yet.
Noted yesterday that this was fixed in a bodgy way - the side of the sign with the old routes listed has simply had the old routes covered over with some tape just leaving the 3 old route numbers listed which still run showing on the panel. People have to be psychic enough to know to check the other side of the sign for the correct route numbers that actually depart from that stop (this is rank A3 by the way).

Also noted opposite the ticket barriers at the western entrance to Parramatta Station was a very nice looking poster indicating bus services departing from Parramatta but the bus companies listed include Baxters and Connex.
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

One of those new blade-style bus stop signs on Church St at North Parramatta (near the intersection of North Rocks Rd) lists several services operating from there to Parramatta on routes 600-606. It also lists route 623 to Beecroft as operating from the same stop. The trouble is that (1) Route 623 does not operate down this far anymore and (2) Even when it did, it departed from the other side of the road going to Beecroft.
Is it the truth, or did you hear it from the truth engineer?

http://www.forsyth.id.au/gallery/bus
delayed

Post by delayed »

Stand D at Eddy Ave Central has listings and timetables for 309 and 310.
hubert

Post by hubert »

Are there still short workings of 309/310 ex Railway Sq? They were still existent in 2006. Runs very early morning (between 6-7am)
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

How about this sign in Chapel Road, Bankstown, which I photographed in 2007?

Integrated ticketing is a matter for State Government procrastination.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Transit2203 has noted the 445 Diversion, there is another route pointer for this same diversion on the corner of Crystal St & Douglas St Petersham.

Ex industrial route 022 has a route pointer in Revesby (Sphinx Ave & River Rd) and another in Padstow.
runawaybus

Post by runawaybus »

If I was you all I would photograph these incorrect information especially the historic ones because someone might need them in the future and you can show at least a bit of history to that route given the style of printing and fonts are much different now!
Definition of Commuter Consultation or even Community Consultation: "We've made up our minds don't confuse us with the facts".
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Post by kitkat271 »

On this topic, the City of Sydney bus shelters along Bourke Road at Beaconsfield still shows route 100. Last time I walked by, the J pole stops on Gardeners Road still has the route map for the extended version of route 305 to Sydenham.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Ahh... a thread revival (and one I posted in too!).

Reading back, I've noticed some of the posts are still relevant - from memory I've seen the following in recent weeks:
  • * The "City Loop" signage used during the Olympics on George St (both sides near Angel Place)
    * Route 250 section numbers on some bus stops northbound on the Pacific Highway near Gore Hill
    * Some of the old interchange signs on Ormonde Parade at Hurstville [south side] still list the 74/106 bus to Kyle Bay and Connells Point (now the 953) and the 972 to Sylvania Heights (which doesn't operate from Hurstville any more) - I think one of these signs faces what used to be an exit, but is now a brick wall!
There were a couple more examples however they escape me right now.

--Phil.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
MetroLine

Post by MetroLine »

The Line Colour for South Coast Line should be Grey and Blue, but it appeared Orange at Coledale Station
OLYMPIAN
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

Post by OLYMPIAN »

888 signage still around
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ 888 route pointer on Castlereagh St mounted onto a light pole on right hand side just before Market St - Centerpoint Tower. There is currently 1 Scania low floor at K (ex R) that has a small portion of the 888 signage above the window line, it's faded and scratched. When the Skybreaker advertising was removed (looked ugly), a few Scanias had the 888 signage on display (mostly partial) which was faded but still quite legible :roll: . It really looks unprofessional :x . I'm not sure if there are still any more Scania low floors with the faded 888 signage as it may have worn away further or been painted over.
pgt

Post by pgt »

At the top of the escalators at Martin Place station in the "unpaid" area (Phillip St concourse/exit), there is a sign directing people down the escalators to the ticket office... complete with a T-Card logo.

--Phil.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

I believe their are still some 251 & 311/312/314 pointers still around when those routes have been replaced with 201, extension of 111, 310 & 313.

Up until recently routes 313 & 339 were advertised on a bus stop they don't serve.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Well, you only need to go to Prince Albert Road to see the bus stop that no bus stops at, showing 312 to Garden Island, a route that doesn't even exist, and 441 that goes to the Art Gallery, only to find the bus going in the other direction uses the other side of the road still.
leamfarrar
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 12.220/CB30

Post by leamfarrar »

Out in Werrington, there is a few old Busways signs that indicate the 750 heading towards the UWS Kingswood Campus, although it now terminates at Plumpton Marketplace.

Also; I noticed that at Westmead Station, there is another Busways sign just after the bus stop at the station, showing a right hand turn towards the hospital (can't remember the bus number).

Might get some pictures shortly to show
VivalaBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K310UB, Volvo B7RLE

Post by VivalaBuses »

^Yeah I've seen a pointer on Old Windsor Rd at the Briens Rd intersection telling the buses to turn right. I think it was route 760
Time for a new signature!
AndrewCowley

Post by AndrewCowley »

Slightly OT, but I live at Lane Cove and learning there used to be a bus to the zoo makes me sad. That would have been awesome, especially as I have two young kids.
pgt

Post by pgt »

AndrewCowley wrote:Slightly OT, but I live at Lane Cove and learning there used to be a bus to the zoo makes me sad. That would have been awesome, especially as I have two young kids.
That would have been the 250 Lane Cove-Taronga Zoo service (which I mentioned seeing signage for). Not sure why it was discontinued, but usually low patronage is one factor.

As an "on topic" observation, one of the ticket machines at Hurstville Station (recently fitted out with EFTPOS equipment) now also sports a TCard logo as well. (I thought this was covered up before, so it might have been "uncovered" during the EFTPOS installation, but not covered back up).

--Phil.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”