Airside Tarmac Tours

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Airside Tarmac Tours

Post by kitkat271 »

Has anyone done the tour and is it worth the money? I know what it says in the promotional spiel but does the tour really show you that much "behind the scenes" stuff you can't see from normal spotting vantage points or from inside the terminals?
Mother

Post by Mother »

I did the tour a few years ago, and it was certainly worth it. By driving around the apron, you do get as close as possible to the big jets. You also are taken all the way around the airport perimeter, so you do get to see locations normally inaccessible by private vehicle.

On my trip the driver was also an airline enthusiast, and this added interest to his commentary.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have done it twice and was not disappointed even on the the second occasion.

Ian the driver on both occasions was certainly an airline enthusiast.
Living in the Shire.
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

It's well worth the money, especially if you're an airline/airport nut like me. The tour takes you to places only certain airport staff are allowed to go.

The only downside to the tour is that you are NOT allowed to take photos (directive from the airport authorities and not from the tour company). Other than that, you're inside the tour bus the whole time, except when you go through security at the Rex terminal.

Highly recommend the tour to anyone, especially when it's only 1 of a few airport tours around the world.
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

Ian the driver posts over at the sydney airport discussion board also.

My trip was courtesy of the ORTA - I was based at the airport and there was a raffle every shift or day, can't remember, everyone got a ticket at sign on and yeah I happened to win this tour one day.

It's worth it just to be so close to a fully laiden 747 taking off from the main runway!

Also the weekend I did it (with my plane nut dad :) ) was one of the weekends when Ansett was in it's last throws and had to ground their older 767's, if only I had my camera to take shots of Air Canada and Singapore Airlines aircraft at the gates of terminal 2. Also it was good because you could see the difference when the wing tanks were full - for a flight to LAX or San Francisco and near to empty, a Singapore aircraft operating on behalf of Ansett flying to Melbourne.

I've been meaning to do it again ever since!
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Route243
Favourite Vehicle: B12LEA

Re: Airside Tarmac Tours

Post by Route243 »

kitkat271 wrote:Has anyone done the tour and is it worth the money? I know what it says in the promotional spiel but does the tour really show you that much "behind the scenes" stuff you can't see from normal spotting vantage points or from inside the terminals?
Kitkat271 go for it mate! :!: :!: I have been on several tours and each is different. It is a buzz :P passing close by the planes parked in the ram area of the terminals. This is especially so as you pass by a 747 in arms distance reach.

The other aspect is that you travel to parts of the Airport you can not see. For example they take you to the end of Runway 34L which you can not get to. On Runway 34L if the wind is from the north you may find that as you travel to the end you could be behind a 747 travelling on Taxiway Alpha. :D

If this excitement is not enough you also get fantastic commentary about the various planes and the airport in general. :D :D :D
GeoffreyHansen
Favourite Vehicle: Endeavour Railcar

Post by GeoffreyHansen »

May I ask, why does the Airport ban photography?

Thanks
Geoffrey
Route243

Post by Route243 »

GeoffreyHansen wrote:May I ask, why does the Airport ban photography?

Thanks
Geoffrey
It was a while since I did the tour but I guess (assuming the photo ban is true) it’s a 9/11 thing.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Officially it has been a rule (in fact a Federal law I think) for a long time that you are not permitted to take photographs on/of any defence establishment or airport. Presumably this is now being enforced due to heightened security concerns.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

How much does the tour cost and where can we find booking details please anyone....?
Volvo Super Olympian
Favourite Vehicle: Double deckers

Post by Volvo Super Olympian »

Andrew wrote:How much does the tour cost and where can we find booking details please anyone....?
Official Website
kitkat271

Post by kitkat271 »

Thanks guys, I've been meaning to do it for a while and I just might, soon ... :)
TTran

Post by TTran »

Did the tour a few years back as part of a SETS tour. Was definitely worth the money :wink:
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

What kind of bus does the tour use?? And thanks for the link Volvo Super Olympian.
Last edited by Andrew on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TTran

Post by TTran »

I'm sure others could fill you in better but from what I can remember 'twas some sort of CC bodied bus I think. Sorry I can't be more specific...
Windy

Post by Windy »

It was an Express bodied MAN 11.220, I think. Not sure if it still is that vehicle though.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes I think that was the one used on the second occasion (see my post above).

On the first occasion it was being serviced and they had dry hired a Westbus semi bus/coach.
Living in the Shire.
Route243

Post by Route243 »

Fleet Lists wrote:Yes I think that was the one used on the second occasion (see my post above).

On the first occasion it was being serviced and they had dry hired a Westbus semi bus/coach.
They also use Coaster mini-buses as well. All are quipped with a radio which can listen in to the control tower and have an orange strobe light as mandated for vehicles airside.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

I went on it a few years ago and found it quite interesting. I would gladly do it again.

A highlight of our tour was waiting to cross a runway while a 747 was landing and just before it touched down the pilot decided to take the plane up again and go around and make another attempt at landing. Quite a sight when you're only a few metres away from it. The control tower, knowing there was a tarmac tour, contacted the bus driver on the radio and advised him that there was no problem with the plane, that the aborted landing was due to unstable ground winds.

Perhaps a group of us from this board could arrange to go on a tour on a particular day?
kitkat271

Post by kitkat271 »

Ken wrote:Perhaps a group of us from this board could arrange to go on a tour on a particular day?
That is a good idea ... I was thinking of going on a Sunday sometime.
dunny

Post by dunny »

When did they ban photos?

I remember my mother doing a tour with her work, as she brought back photos and video footage of planes taking off and landing and also shots of certain points around the airport.

I just asked her and she said it was about 2 years ago and photos were definitely allowed as everyone was taking them.

This ban may have happened in the last year or so.
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

kitkat271 wrote:
Ken wrote:Perhaps a group of us from this board could arrange to go on a tour on a particular day?
That is a good idea ... I was thinking of going on a Sunday sometime.

Count me in if I'm not working....
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Route243

Post by Route243 »

Simes wrote:
kitkat271 wrote: That is a good idea ... I was thinking of going on a Sunday sometime.

Count me in if I'm not working....
I too will be in it! :D
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

Try the twilight tour.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

The photo ban came in about 4-6 months ago from memory, no more than that. To do with security. I went on their first combined tour/scenic flight with Rex in Januuary last year. While a bit expensive (it's gone up to about $180 for the combined tour/flight now) it's not every day one gets to fly on a Saab 340 with a window seat as we circled the harbour and northern beaches. Notice they don't have dates on their website for the combined tour/flight at present, but I would certainly recommend it.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”