• Advertisement

2017 Train & Bus timetable changes

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: 2017 Train & Bus timetable changes

Postby Fleet Lists » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:33 pm

This is already being discussed in the Newcastle thread.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby andy_centralcoast » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:00 pm

mandonov wrote:This timetable is essentially just trying to get whatever it can out of the Western Line and South West, with everything else just working around that.

I think next years timetable will be the big change for the Northern, North Shore and CCN, with the ECRL shutdown and the Hornsby Junction remodelling coming online.

Trackwork calendar now lists a 2 week shutdown of the North Shore Line between Berowra and Gordon from 29 December 2017 to 14 January 2018. Northern and Central Coast Line replaced by buses during off-peak periods.
andy_centralcoast

Postby PaulSEO » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Someone's gone to the trouble of building a site and loading in the draft new timetable into it. Can't vouch for its accuracy but a few searches seem to reveal it to be close to the mark:

https://anytrip.com.au/newtimetable
PaulSEO

Postby moa999 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:24 pm

PaulSEO wrote:Someone's gone to the trouble
https://anytrip.com.au/newtimetable

Jxeeno Pty ltd led me to this on Twitter

Ken Tsang (jxeeno), founder and creator of the popular independent rollout tracking website myNBN.info

-+ which was really useful and got rolled into finder.com.au
moa999

Postby PaulSEO » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:56 am

I put in Central to International Airport as an option, and it listed my trip as 9 stops, going from Central thru the City Circle back to Central and then to the Airport. No one would make the journey like this, they would take the train the second time it got to Central, which is only a 3 intervening stop trip. Actually it should say 4 stops, because you get off at the 4th stop.

Mondays it lists 3 trains leaving Bondi Junction for Central, all at 4:32 pm. (24 hour clock option would be nice as well)
PaulSEO

Postby PaulSEO » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:03 am

It has a very cool map feature as well, showing EVERY service (buses, ferries and light rail included) from the TfNSW feed as well on a street map. Maybe I'm late to the game or something, but I haven't seen anything like that for Sydney on a desktop before.

https://anytrip.com.au/map
PaulSEO

Postby andy_centralcoast » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:41 pm

The PR campaign starts on Monday with advertising to promote the changes.
andy_centralcoast

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Yup and then a month and 12 days to go before the new timetable itself comes into effect.

Looking forward to seeing more information being published on official websites etc
:D
Jurassic_Joke

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B12BLEA articulated

Postby sydneysider » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 am

TfNSW have made a new page outlining the changes across all modes

https://transportnsw.info/moving-forward
sydneysider

Postby Michael Bamborough » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:31 pm

New Bus, Train, & Ferry Timetables have been announced. Here are the links and Highlights.

Train Timetable changes: https://transportnsw.info/moving-forward/train
*The T2 line is now separated into 2 lines. The Aqua Blue T2 Inner west & South line with new Parramatta services & The Green T8 Cambelltown & Airport line.
*T5 now redirected to travel to Leppinton. Now operates on evenings & weekends. Now extends to Richmond on evenings.
*T6 now operates every 30 minutes.

Ferry Timetable changes: https://transportnsw.info/moving-forward/ferry
*F4 is now the Cross harbor Ferry travelling between Watson Bay, Rose Bay, Circular quay, Milsons Point, Mchanons Point, Balmain east, Barngaroo & Pyrmond.
*Woolich Ferry now separated from F3 and is Now the F8 Cockatoo Island & Woolich Ferry.
*F7 now only operates between Double Bay Barling Point, Garden island & Circular Quay. With new extra services too.

Bus Timetable changes: https://transportnsw.info/moving-forward/bus#/
*New B-line services & Northern beaches network of course. More info: http://yoursay.b-line.transport.nsw.gov ... rvice-plan
*Route 389 will be running between Bondi Junction and Pyrmont only, rather than between Bondi Junction and North Bondi. And Route 440 will be changed to run between Bondi Junction and Rozelle only, and no longer run between Bondi Junction and Bronte. New Route 379 will run between North Bondi, Bondi jucntion & Bronte.
*Route 285 will now run in both directions during the morning and afternoon peak periods between Mars Road, Lane Cove and the City via Epping Road.
*Route 289 will cease to run. Instead, Route 292 will be changed to run along Mowbray Road.
*Route's 533 and 534 will be running more services during the week between Sydney Olympic Park, Ryde and Chatswood. More weekday off peak and weekend services, and later evening services will be provided between Ryde and Chatswood. Route 534 will also no longer run between West Ryde and Ryde Shops during peak periods on weekdays.
*Route 450 Strathfield to Hurstville – extra services will be running on weeknights and Saturdays. However, it will no longer run between Strathfield and Burwood
*Route 944 Bankstown to Mortdale – extra services will be running on weekdays. However, services will no longer run between Mortdale and Hurstville.
*Route 946 Bankstown to Roselands – extra services will be running on weekdays. However, services will no longer run between Roselands and Hurstville.
*Route 827 Liverpool to Cecil Hills will be extended to run and from Carnes Hill Marketplace.
Last edited by Michael Bamborough on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Bamborough

Postby boronia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 pm

*Route 389 will be running between Bondi Junction and Pyrmont only, rather than between Bondi Junction and North Bondi. And Route 440 will be changed to run between Bondi Junction and Rozelle only, and no longer run between Bondi Junction and Bronte. New Route 379 will run between North Bondi, Bondi jucntion & Bronte.

Seems to be motivation to get people onto trains between BJI and the city? Looks like Bondi Rd services will get similar adjustments
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby rogf24 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Looks quite interesting
Attachments
379.jpg
rogf24

Postby Michael Bamborough » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Yeah the whole 379 idea seems like a pretty odd choice. Why have a cross link service between bronte & north bondi via looping around bondi junction? Why not just have a 378 between bronte & Bondi junction & 389 between North bondi & bondi junction with new Route 385 between Bondi junction & pyrmont? In fact Why separate 389 & 440 services around bondi junction? Are those services having trouble running on time inbetween bondi junction?

Also i do wish m40 would extend to bondi beach(Replacing most of the short running bondi beach-bondi jct services.) if that service is going to use bendy buses it should at least extend to bondi beach to boost patronage and thus reduce over-crowding on 380.
Michael Bamborough

Postby Jurassic_Joke » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Hmmmm, I am a bit surprised by the Eastern Suburbs cutbacks - just seems like an odd choice when in the October 2015 Bus Changes brochure, they boasted how many suburbs (in the East) would keep their direct (read:direct) connection with the City (on a bus) and already two years later thats been wound back a bit. Disappointed 389 is being ended at Bondi from now on, I personally did make use of it past there occasionally.... Same for 440 too and having to wait for a transfer is just a nuisance

379 looks vaguely .... yeah, just a weird decision. It looks pretty obvious to me its sole purpose is just funnel people from the specified areas onto T4 trains at Bondi Junction for a transfer into the City.
:D
Jurassic_Joke

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B12BLEA articulated

Postby simonl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:30 pm

boronia wrote:

Seems to be motivation to get people onto trains between BJI and the city? Looks like Bondi Rd services will get similar adjustments

Unfortunately so.

They should be fixing the larger problem which is the too high fare for a 3.1km bus trip which feeds into rail/ferry.

Sounds like they feel the 378 & 440 combination was a mistake. I don't know if you can see too many through passengers on the 379 at BJI. I see a handful on the old 389 and 378/440 even after you exclude those going to/from the city who should be interchanging onto the trains.
simonl

Postby hornetfig » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm

I don't think the Prime Minister will be happy. To do this without a consultation period is very unusual. For comparison, it took 15 months to work out which bus stops to remove

Also, presumably X89 has to become X79. And lots of Bondi-segment short workings.
hornetfig

Postby boronia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:45 pm

Getting pax off at Bondi Junction and encouraging them onto trains will provide more capacity on the inner sections of both routes and still reduce the number of buses at the same time. Services can be better aligned to the Rozelle-City and Pyrmont -City demand rather than trying to cover requirements of both legs. It will also help to reduce delays from one section spilling over into the other.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Special_K » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Surprisingly there has been no announcement concerning new bus Route 388. Paddington to Bondi Junction!
Special_K

Postby andy_centralcoast » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Michael Bamborough wrote:Train Timetable changes: https://transportnsw.info/moving-forward/train

I'm finding some interesting quirks with the new weekend timetable for CCN so far:
* Despite trains now skipping Eastwood, there's no change in journey time. It takes 2 minutes less from Central to Epping, but Epping to Hornsby is now timetabled to take 2 minutes longer.
* The 11:49 from Central to Wyong is timetabled to take 6 minutes longer than other trains with the same stopping pattern.
* Other minor changes to timings, eg Hornsby to Woy Woy is now 1 minute longer, but Woy Woy to Gosford takes 1 minute less.
* Central Coast trains are timetabled to stop at Berowra just 2 minutes before the all stations North Shore train is due to depart. If the CCN train is running a couple of minutes late into Berowra it will either delay the suburban service or be caught out of order behind a slower train, making the delay worse.
andy_centralcoast

Postby Linto63 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:59 pm

andy_centralcoast wrote:The 11:49 from Central to Wyong is timetabled to take 6 minutes longer than other trains with the same stopping pattern.
The Grafton XPT is scheduled to depart Central at 11:41. That shouldn't cause any delays, but perhaps there is a freight service that needs to be accommodated in between. May also explain why it departs Central 3 minutes later than the other services which depart at xx:46. The weekday equivalent departure at 11:45 is scheduled to take an extra 3 minutes to reach Hornsby compared to the services around it.
Linto63

Postby Frosty » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:37 pm

My concern with the new timetable is will Bondi Jn have enough layover space. I’m also expecting a few more services on other Bondi Jn routes like the 353,348 and so on.The idea of running routes through is to minimise layover space. Wondering will this 379,389,440 change require more overall buses.
Frosty

Postby aussieboy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:54 pm

simonl wrote:Sounds like they feel the 378 & 440 combination was a mistake.

It was a shocking mistake. The traffic through Rozelle and Leichhardt has meant that 440 services bunch or are delayed - causing the 440 (378) to go from an extremely reliable bus service (due to bus lanes on Oxford St) to an unpredictable mess.

I think the answer is fixing bus priority in the inner west though - the east-west link is very useful.
aussieboy

Postby aussieboy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:55 pm

Frosty wrote:My concern with the new timetable is will Bondi Jn have enough layover space. I’m also expecting a few more services on other Bondi Jn routes like the 353,348 and so on.The idea of running routes through is to minimise layover space. Wondering will this 379,389,440 change require more overall buses.

A lot/most of the 389s and 440s in peak hour terminate/start from BJ anyway already.
aussieboy

Postby pgt » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Special_K wrote:Surprisingly there has been no announcement concerning new bus Route 388. Paddington to Bondi Junction!
With a whole single service in the timetable too, being that one route 389 service that started from Lawson St in Paddington heading to Bondi Junction.
Jurassic_Joke wrote:379 looks vaguely .... yeah, just a weird decision. It looks pretty obvious to me its sole purpose is just funnel people from the specified areas onto T4 trains at Bondi Junction for a transfer into the City.
Looks like it, considering Bronte no longer gets a direct city service.
My dad (who lived in Bondi Junction years ago) reminded me that the number 379 was used for the Bronte - Circular Quay buses which replaced the trams, so more or less ran out of numbers to reuse it seems.

Still to have a look at the rest of the changes to figure out what has changed majorly, although it'll be interesting to see what sort of loadings the 292 gets for Mowbray Road off peak since it's now going down part of it.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
pgt

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Postby moa999 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Why not timetable the 388, as a 389 commencing at Five Ways.

The short working of the 324 and 325 seem sensible and seemingly means the Edgecliff interchange and tunnel will be used as designed

Surprised that the T timetables just have the generic T colour, rather than using the line colour.
moa999

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW