• Advertisement

FIRST WOMAN BUS DRIVER NSW

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

FIRST WOMAN BUS DRIVER NSW

Postby Sandybeachbusrun » Sun May 13, 2018 11:09 am

My mother Ann Roberts I believe to be the first woman bus driver in NSW -maybe Australia in 1942. My mother was the conductor on their privately owned bus run from Mortdale Sydney NSW to Jewfish Point Oatley NSW. One morning my father Steve Roberts was ill and could not drive the bus. Ann without a licence filled the gas bag on top of the bus(fuel was scarce) and drove the bus. The Dept of Motor Transport issued her a licence. They then purchased a second bus of which they both drove.The bus obviously had a crash gearbox, no power steering and rough roads particularly difficult down the narrow roads to the pleasure grounds at Oatley Park. Attached is a photo in front of their house which was the depot in Gungah Bay Road Oatley. Many senior residents in Oatley still remember her well. Evan Roberts]
Sandybeachbusrun

Re: FIRST WOMAN BUS DRIVER NSW

Postby Centralian » Sun May 13, 2018 4:21 pm

There were a few women driving tourist cars in the Blue Mountains to sights such as Jenolan Caves etc. prior to 1942.(eg. Eileen Booker of Bookers Touring Service). Not sure if that fits into your reference to 'bus driver'. There was also a female proprietor of a couple of service runs in Katoomba some 20 years earlier but to date I haven't found anything to indicate she actually drove the buses at the time, it would only be an assumption on my part. Certainly an interesting subject to expand on and record some of those early female drivers in the bus industry. Certainly rare before the war anyway.
Centralian

Re: FIRST WOMAN BUS DRIVER NSW

Postby boronia » Sun May 13, 2018 5:23 pm

A quick look through the operators' list in sydneybusroutes.com show several names with Mrs or Miss honorifics.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

• Advertisement

Return to The Lunch Room