What's with the car ads lately?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Heihachi_73

What's with the car ads lately?

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Notably, car ads recycling music used in other car ads.

Whenever I see the Fiat ads where they are driving around Melbourne city with "What I Like About You" playing in the background I can only think of a ratty twenty year old Ford Laser. the ad itself is basically a collection of silent two-second shots of cars driving around the city, not really exciting stuff, especially when trying to show off an SUV (Freemont) of all things in the middle of the CBD. I'm almost expecting Mambo Number 5 to be the next random car theme song, complete with the yell at the end (which was played with the Ford logo on screen in the original ad, roughly during the EL/AU Falcon era).

BMW recently ripped off the Toyota Starlet ad from the 90s by using Blur "Song 2" in the background, at least Toyota had their own Blur-like logo tune at the end to go with the song instead of cutting it off abruptly with the electronic BMW tune.

Music aside, I also hated the one where the woman was praising a Ford SUV/pickup (e.g. not a proper ute e.g. Falcon, which was still in production at the time) simply because "it looks like a truck". Does a vehicle made out of cinder blocks (e.g. looking like a truck) really sell these days?
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: What's with the car ads lately?

Post by Swift »

Glad to see I wasn't the only one to notice this re: the Fiat ad. It's like the as people thought ahh Australians will lap this cheesy tune up. It's such a clichéd looking commercial that I never really knew which car maker it was for until recently, after it had been heard in the background for months. FAIL!
A lot of these same recycled tunes that have been implanted in our brains for decades, just keep getting used in Australian commercials because the advertisers must see the Australian public as dead heads.
There is yet another ad with that Hallelujah tune playing ATM. Surprise, I have no recollection of the product.
I feel like calling the company and telling them to change it for something a little more creative for their own sake!
Looks like Fiat made better Australian ads in 1976.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
homer9000

Re: What's with the car ads lately?

Post by homer9000 »

anyone remember the nissan tiida ads from 2006.they were so cringeworthy as to allienate male buyers away.guys only bought them if they had narrow garages that couldn't fit a mazda 3 or ford focus of that era.I know I owned one and used to have to hide it in the corner at work so nobody would know I DRIVE A GIRLS CAR.

Return to “The Lunch Room”