• Advertisement

Britain's Exit or Brexit.

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Re: Britain's Exit or Brexit.

Postby Swift » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Turns out it might not happen after all. A ruling by the high court really hopesays that the parliament needs to approve it first.
http://www.theladbible.com/news/politics-uk-government-loses-brexit-court-battle-to-trigger-article-50-20161103

I would not click on that link. It tried to load other unwanted things aftet I clicked on it.

I really hope whoever is behind this stunt, ultimately fails. Someone is determined to stop it happening, and I'm not necessarily referring to anyone within Britain itself!!
Renk Doromat. Make that engine work! :)
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:14 am

But the article goes on to say that they expect pariament to approve it in any case.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:53 am

Swift wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:Turns out it might not happen after all. A ruling by the high court really hopesays that the parliament needs to approve it first.
http://www.theladbible.com/news/politics-uk-government-loses-brexit-court-battle-to-trigger-article-50-20161103

I would not click on that link. It tried to load other unwanted things aftet I clicked on it.

It is annoying. The way to get around it is to click on it once, wait for you to redirect you to the advert, then click back (or you arrive back here), then click on it again. It shouldn't redirect you the second time.

Fleet Lists wrote:But the article goes on to say that they expect pariament to approve it in any case.

Considering there was a referendum that said most people want to leave, most MPs should vote "leave" as well to represent their voters' wishes.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
Lt. Commander Data

Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Postby GazzaOak » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:20 am

That is annoying.... cut out the crap and leave the stupid EU, without the voices of the MP.....
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
GazzaOak

Postby Swift » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:10 pm

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
Considering there was a referendum that said most people want to leave, most MPs should vote "leave" as well to represent their voters' wishes.

Considering I heard there were instances of remain supporters caught fudging voting papers, I would suspect there was a significantly higher majority who voted to leave the European Union of Soviet Republics.
Brescape would have been pertinent.
Swift

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 pm

I believe there would have been fudging on both sides so that argument does not hold much water.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Swift » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:I believe there would have been fudging on both sides so that argument does not hold much water.

You are right ( excuse the pun haha), but most can take an educated guess on which side of the political airplane is the more ardent at the practise.
Swift

Postby rogf24 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:47 pm

They should have made the referendum either legally binding or self executing if the referendum was a serious in the first place, in the event of a yes vote.

That being said, surely it can't be that hard to bring legislation to parliament. They passed the legislation needed for the referendum..., err it was really a plebiscite, to be held in the first place, they can do so to leave the EU.

Stunt or not, the anti-Brexit people clearly had a strong case and the judges thought so. Since the referendum was not legally binding in the first place, it meant that the only other body that could make the decision to leave was parliament, especially since it was their law that got them into the EU into the first place. The government tried to leave via crown’s prerogative but it was not the crown’s prerogative that got them into the EU, if that was the case, then using the crown’s prerogative to leave the EU probably would have been acceptable. But the crown’s prerogative is not allowed to interfere with the Parliament's work, which leads us to the situation today. Parliament is sovereign from the crown, only parliament can control parliamentary law. The case showed that the government could not use the back door to exit. The queen can't just do anything at her will or on the behalf of someone else, in the case of Brexit anyway, it must first pass through the sovereign parliament. The case makes a whole lot of sense to me, the separation of powers and parliamentary sovereignty is a tradition (read: case law) that dates from ancient times and this case reaffirmed it.

But as I said, all this could have been avoided if the referendum was serious and legally binding. It seems this whole period is just amateurish law making and everyone hastily wanted to make a point, especially David and Nigel.

Having said that, if the government just bites the bullet and passes the thing, then Brescape velocity will be reached soon. If they could pass the plebiscite, they can pass this.
rogf24

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to The Lunch Room