Check the rego

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

eddy

Check the rego

Post by eddy »

Just read this so perhaps it should be the first thing to check when driving a heavy vehicle.
The penalty for driving an unregistered light vehicle is $637 in NSW; for a heavy vehicle it is $1346 and four demerit points.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/38667 ... -in-fines/
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
mubd

Re: Check the rego

Post by mubd »

The UTS researcher is wrong about the reason in the spike in fines - it's not caused by the abolition of windscreen stickers, it's caused by the large rollout of police number plate recognition systems. At almost every RBT now you see highway patrol cars sitting at the end with their cameras running to detect any unregistered cars.

I was fined not long after the abolition of windscreen stickers for driving my dad's car which was a week out of rego. My dad got all the text messages and emails. Even if windscreen stickers had still been provided, I highly doubt I would have thought to check the sticker to see if the car was in rego.
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
eddy

Post by eddy »

mubd wrote:The UTS researcher is wrong about the reason in the spike in fines - it's not caused by the abolition of windscreen stickers, it's caused by the large rollout of police number plate recognition systems. At almost every RBT now you see highway patrol cars sitting at the end with their cameras running to detect any unregistered cars.

I was fined not long after the abolition of windscreen stickers for driving my dad's car which was a week out of rego. My dad got all the text messages and emails. Even if windscreen stickers had still been provided, I highly doubt I would have thought to check the sticker to see if the car was in rego.
People have had their car deregistered due to unpaid fines so the only thing is to ask the owner if it is registered and some old pensioners think because rego is free they do not ever have to worry about it and it would be a tad embarrassing to ask.

I did hear a Parks transport company had a couple of semis held at the weighbridge at different times until they paid their rego and I think they went broke shortly after.

We have had a lot of mail stolen out of letterboxes around Bomaderry lately and they even tried to break into the red mailbox so you cannot rely on getting a renewal notice in the mail
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Stolen mail is not the only problem. About 5% of the mail I get is for another address, and although I do the right thing and repost it, most people just chuck such mail in the rubbish, or leave on the fence.

I got a PO Box to try and eliminate such problems, but even with that there are stuff ups and I get other people's mail.. A few years back I had a PO Box 123, but I was always getting mail for 123 Oxford St. Dyslexia seems to be a prerequisite for AustPost employment.

There are on line and SMS notification options available.

And perhaps you should use the RMS app to check the rego before you hop into anyone else's car. Even if there is a valid sticker, it could have been cancelled.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

I changed my address with the then R.T.A. & MYbus authority with D.OT TO FIND IT WAS CANCELLED FOR 2YEARS! Even thought had a receipt with new address!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

eddy wrote:Just read this so perhaps it should be the first thing to check when driving a heavy vehicle.
The penalty for driving an unregistered light vehicle is $637 in NSW; for a heavy vehicle it is $1346 and four demerit points.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/38667 ... -in-fines/
If that happened to a bus driver would the company be liable rather than the driver?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

If the driver is doing the driving, technically he cops it.

He could take it to court, and prove that he took all reasonable steps to determine that the rego was current.

These days you can check rego's with a phone app
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Hmm. Can't imagine that scenario happening though. .

Return to “The Lunch Room”