Half price Holden ?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

eddy

Half price Holden ?

Post by eddy »

If 1,000 people could agree on an identical car and pay for it 12 months before it was delivered I believe someone like Holden could order all the bits and assemble it for half price.

Would it be possible to get 1,000 people to agree on any particular specification?

Would these people even have the money up front?

Could a car be made for half price if there were 1,000 identical ones paid for one year in advance?
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
mubd

Re: Half price Holden ?

Post by mubd »

You've basically described the concept of Kickstarter. The entrepreneur requests an amount of funding, which people pledge towards the project (Kickstarter holds the funds until the funding goal is reached), with no ironclad guarantee that the seller actually deliver.

You would need a lot more than 1000 people pledging money, and the economies of scale already exist with Holden's factory which mean that they already get the parts for a very low price.

A run of 1000 cars is very, very low in the realm of motoring. Toyota's Australian plant assembles around 100,000 Camrys every year. For the most part, the cars are almost identical, with a few variations along the assembly line which don't impact much in terms of assembly cost.
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

I thought it sounded more similar to fleet buying... How much of a discount do fleet buyers get compared to private customers? I doubt it'd be as high as 50%...
eddy

Post by eddy »

mubd wrote:You've basically described the concept of Kickstarter. The entrepreneur requests an amount of funding, which people pledge towards the project (Kickstarter holds the funds until the funding goal is reached), with no ironclad guarantee that the seller actually deliver.

You would need a lot more than 1000 people pledging money, and the economies of scale already exist with Holden's factory which mean that they already get the parts for a very low price.

A run of 1000 cars is very, very low in the realm of motoring. Toyota's Australian plant assembles around 100,000 Camrys every year. For the most part, the cars are almost identical, with a few variations along the assembly line which don't impact much in terms of assembly cost.
Thanks heaps for that information it seems it was a dumb idea however your kickstarter reference has given me an idea for my pet project.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

eddy wrote:
mubd wrote:You've basically described the concept of Kickstarter. The entrepreneur requests an amount of funding, which people pledge towards the project (Kickstarter holds the funds until the funding goal is reached), with no ironclad guarantee that the seller actually deliver.

Thanks heaps for that information it seems it was a dumb idea however your kickstarter reference has given me an idea for my pet project.
It's not a dumb idea, except possibly in the minds of some of the self-appointed experts that get around on this forum. In that case, you could use your new idea to pay tribute to such individuals. Anybody here interested in purchasing the new locally made Holden Notch or Holden Broadgauge? :lol:
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.

Return to “The Lunch Room”