Photos & Negative things happening

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Photos & Negative things happening

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

Here's something I need some help with..
I'm a truck photographer and I have lots of sources anyway, I received a phone call and a tip off from 2 drivers that there would be 3 bdouble trucks and local semi trucks coming down to Toll's depot in Hobart from north west way as they do every day. So I headed out there and because of the emergency lanes we had no where to park. Leaving more than enough room for the trucks to enter the driveway I parked on the corner of the edge of the driveway. As the convoy arrived with christmas frozen food deliveries I anxiously and excited jumped out the car and proceeded up the driveway,(bearing in mind this is a massive enormous company and depot and that I knew they weren't mucking around. I walked in between the 3 trucks and they were parked in a straight line waiting to enter the loading bays. -

The drivers were in the dispatch office with Toll staff and one of these Toll workers slammed the door open and told me to eff off! "eff off & get the hell out of here, get your effing car out of our driveway and piss off." I was pretty disappointed, I know I got close and I will do that to all extremes just to get a photo (same with buses and any other mode of transport.

Help a fella out with some advice please.
:roll:
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Photos & Negative things happening

Post by Fleet Lists »

Very simple - you should not have been there.
Living in the Shire.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

It can be disappointing and upsetting when you get screamed at by Drivers.

In this case though. You were being a effing moron by getting so badly in the way. If you cant get a legal spot near their depot take a drive to the closest legal & safe spot to park. The way you have described what you have done is the reason so many transport enthusiasts these days have such bad reputations. You're probably lucky they didn't wipe your car out on purpose!

Also don't go walking up driveways without permission. A lot of companies don't like it!
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

I would have took a drive up the road Apollo although I wasn't waiting 2 hours for them to unload and head into the city. It would have been impossible to get the photos and this was a brand new shiny rig that was coming. I wasn't taking any chances...I've been to the entrance before and had nothing said about me!
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

ScaniaL94UB wrote:I would have took a drive up the road Apollo although I wasn't waiting 2 hours for them to unload and head into the city. It would have been impossible to get the photos and this was a brand new shiny rig that was coming. I wasn't taking any chances...I've been to the entrance before and had nothing said about me!
No excuse. :twisted:
8 SPEED
Favourite Vehicle: Anything 420hp or above

Post by 8 SPEED »

You were not taking any chances???? sounds like you did this time.
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR HORSEPOWER
Thebusofdoom
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Thebusofdoom »

Although it's disappointing that the drivers yelled at you, I think they had good reason to. As you said, you got too close and went on their private property. You shouldn't jeopardize your own safety and the safety of others just to get that perfect shot. That applies to anything, whether it be photographing trucks, buses, trains, anything else transport related. Sometimes you may end up in a situation where you're unable to get a shot of something in a safe manner. Big deal, sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. It's all part of the hobby. There would always be another opportunity to photograph them, at the end of the day it's just a truck.

Remember that you were photographing trucks inside a live workplace. I'm sure the last thing the drivers would want is you getting hurt just because you weren't paying attention by getting too close photographing the rigs.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

You should look for a career in the Australian media!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

If you can't get a pic of the truck, there's always Photoshop-just find a pic of a similar truck and make it look like a Toll vehicle ;)
V981
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Post by V981 »

Want some advice Scania? Get a grip on yourself buddy.

Some of you people walk around as if your right to get photos overrides all other human rights on the planet. Sure, you are well entitled to take photos of trucks and buses as much as you like.........except for when your activity starts impeding on the rights of others. If you resort to unauthorized trespassing, break and enter, stealing or property damage in order to get a photo, you are a moron and you clearly have no respect for those around you. Aside from anything else, most transport depots now have strict OHS policies in place for employees and visitors to adhere to, and people entering at their own free will, without permission and without respect to the rules poses a real problem for this.

You should be thankful they ONLY told you to Eff Off, because in actual fact they were well entitled to call the police because they had an unauthorized intruder on the property, and the police would have been will entitled to lay criminal charges against you for your conduct.

You sure as hell don't have my support on this one.
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.

Return to “The Lunch Room”