• Advertisement

If you become PM of Austraila, what would be your ideas??

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Re: If you become PM of Austraila, what would be your ideas?

Postby 1whoknows » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:04 pm

If you truly believe that then you will never ever vote for Labor or the greens, neither of whom could manage a piggy bank, much less a household budget.

Was listening to Radio National's Outsiders program this morning and even the lefty commentator was saying what a crap Treasurer Wayne Swan was!!!
Cats are best.
1whoknows

Postby Newcastle Flyer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:13 pm

I asked that question in my previous post because some don't seem to know the difference between state & federal issues.

What's so bad about the carbon tax?
chuboy wrote:What's so bad about the carbon tax really?
Let me repeat what former prime minister Julia Gillard said BEFORE an election: "Their will be NO Carbon Tax under the government I lead."

chuboy wrote:I bet you any money your electricity bills will not go down
While sure, most of the rise is due to state governments, when/if the carbon tax is removed, electricity bills are expected to go down by 9%.
(Although Abbot was found trying to mislead parliament when he had success in tabling an electricity bill from a woman. It was found out that she had used more electricity in the period of that bill.)

chuboy wrote:your pies will not be any cheaper, and people who lost their jobs will not get them back.
Have you seen the MULTIPLE price rises of fast food since the carbon tax was introduced? EG: Subway sandwich $7 to $7.25, then $7.45. That is the less extreme example.

But then again, Tony Abbot is keeping quite about the ETS that he DOES plan to introduce. Abbot wouldn't answer the question when interviewed by John Laws before the election.

4. Carbon Tax was a factor in these: It was a factor here (Kurri Kurri) & here (Geelong)
Last edited by Newcastle Flyer on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature on holidays
Newcastle Flyer

Postby GazzaOak » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:09 pm

^yep there some truth, including that labor lie..... The ets is a bit more fairer (but any environmental tax is just stupid in my own words, but ets, i don't really mind as long as it not like $25 per ton or some s**t) , but the carbon tax is just annoyance and seems a bit too extreme, and what it made it worse that gillard said that she won't introduce a carbon tax.

And also i don't believe in climate change. And blaming tony for the bushfires and whatever its just eating dogsh*t and liking it....
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
GazzaOak

Postby Douglas » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 am

chuboy wrote:I'm also highly sceptical of people who take the position that running a country's budget is just a scaled up version of running a household budget. This is typically an excellent indicator of that person's total lack of knowledge of even the simplest of economic concepts.

Balancing your chequebook is to balancing the budget as driving to the supermarket is to landing on the moon. Sure, going to the supermarket is a method of transport just like landing on the moon is, but that's about where the similarities end.

The same can be said about your househould budget\chequebook and the government budget. They both involve money of some flavour, but that's about roughly where the similarities end. I mean, sure, I can keep my bank account out of the red (I've been in the red exactly once due to a fallback EFTPOS transaction before I knew what fallback EFTPOS transactions were), but it doesn't mean I am qualified to be treasurer, even if I did pass Accounting in high school where they taught me about balance sheets and budgets.

Newcastle Flyer wrote:2.
chuboy wrote:I bet you any money your electricity bills will not go down
While sure, most of the rise is due to state governments, when/if the carbon tax is removed, electricity bills are expected to go down by 9%.
(Although Abbot was found trying to mislead parliament when he had success in tabling an electricity bill from a woman. It was found out that she had used more electricity in the period of that bill.)

chuboy wrote:your pies will not be any cheaper, and people who lost their jobs will not get them back.
Have you seen the MULTIPLE price rises of fast food since the carbon tax was introduced? EG: Subway sandwich $7 to $7.25, then $7.45. That is the less extreme example.

Relevant. Also you typically find price rises come into effect when new awards are approved. Subway is different to other franchises in that each franchisee seems to have their own award or use the base Modern Fast Food Award, whereas others use one award across all franchisees (e.g. all McDonalds sites use the McDonalds National Agreement), however a number of awards for Subway have been approved over the last 18 months so this is a likely explanation.

Newcastle Flyer wrote:here (Geelong)

Try again with a reliable source. I would not consider Mr. Akerman's blog to be the most reliable of sources.

GazzaOak wrote:^And also i don't believe in climate change.

Fortunately, science doesn't require belief.
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
Douglas

Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Postby rogf24 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 am

I like pigovian taxes, it helps correct deadweight loss as a result of negative externalities.

Something on climate change. I don't like his voice but I do like his points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ
rogf24

Postby Rclasstramcar » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:46 pm

GazzaOak wrote:- I don't think electrifying all the intercity lines is justifiable (unless if those line are used for the instate fast rails, then that's different).
That's the basic idea of it, to electrify the Trans-Australia Railway, the Adelaide to Melbourne route, Sydney to Melbourne and Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne for use by fast freight and passenger services.

GazzaOak wrote:
- I think we have decent work rights (go to other counties and some are quite terrible). With the holden strikes and whatever, the workers get paid quite a fair bit, and if the union wants a pay rise, they have to lose workers to pay the staff that want a pay rise. So its better to get slightly less pay, but more workers employed. Would you rather to see 1 working getting 150k while another is on government welfare, or both working getting 75k instead??
I was referring to restoring asylum seekers' right to work, which was done away with by the former government. I agree with the rest of your comment, though.

Ben
Return Sydney's trams
GET RID OF ABBOTT, BEFORE HE WREAKS FURTHER HAVOC ON AUSTRALIA!!!!
JAN 26-INVASION DAY
Rclasstramcar

Favourite Vehicle: 1955 Morris Minor Series two

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:15 am

Regarding the carbon tax. Tony kept going on about electricity bills but the real problem was the loss of jobs as our industries became noncompetitive and once business shut shop even if the carbon tax is repealed it will be very hard to get them back and you all know how I think the aussie dollar could be easily lowered.

Bang bang is a good Indonesian guy who wants to work with Australia but he faces an election so he has to appeal to the people there who think spying is not cricket although it appears everyone apart from Indonesia do it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signals_in ... _by_nation (note we have a dish aimed at the Indonesian satellite that gets everyone's conversations)

It would not hurt Tony to come across as a bit more apologetic even if he blames labor and continues his spying because who knows what a "tough guy" leader might be like to work with in the future and our elections are over so he has no domestic problem here.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... 6dde66e6c7
eddy

Postby rogf24 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:56 am

eddy wrote:... and you all know how I think the aussie dollar could be easily lowered.

Printing money. Very bad idea. Only use in cases of deflation AND interest rates at zero.
rogf24

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:02 pm

I had a further thought and that is even if they say they are thinking about printing money the aussie dollar will drop substantially and everyone here will get or keep a job.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... 6dde66e6c7
eddy

Postby captainch » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:32 pm

if I was prime minister i'd re introduce national service but not to go to war I learned my lesson,but fron both sexes,to teach young ppl respect,for police,parents,ect!the army would require uniforms ect,food and that would help australian industry,also real jobs for work for benifits!the gov't does not owe you a living ,there to help out .not pay for ever! yes their are ppl who need help and they deserve it,the same as public housing is to assit you to get into the rental system if the money being wasted now,was used for schools,police ,transort,health, we would realy be the lucky country! as for wars,australia has been fighting wars over seas since wrld war one................i'd not send troops over seas let country's fight there own wars!the only time we fight is when our own country is threatened :twisted: :evil: go to the canberra war memoriol and see how many lives were lost!this might offend some ppl ,but i'm entitled to my views and thats what I fought for! 8)
captainch

Favourite Vehicle: M/O3533/MO687

Postby GazzaOak » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:49 pm

captainch wrote:if I was prime minister i'd re introduce national service but not to go to war I learned my lesson,but fron both sexes,to teach young ppl respect,for police,parents,ect!the army would require uniforms ect,food and that would help australian industry,also real jobs for work for benifits!the gov't does not owe you a living ,there to help out .not pay for ever! yes their are ppl who need help and they deserve it,the same as public housing is to assit you to get into the rental system if the money being wasted now,was used for schools,police ,transort,health, we would realy be the lucky country! as for wars,australia has been fighting wars over seas since wrld war one................i'd not send troops over seas let country's fight there own wars!the only time we fight is when our own country is threatened :twisted: :evil: go to the canberra war memoriol and see how many lives were lost!this might offend some ppl ,but i'm entitled to my views and thats what I fought for! 8)

Hmm, some nice ideas. There are some bloody rude people these days.....

And we should fight if we were about to be threatened by other countries
GazzaOak

Postby jarf » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:04 pm

eddy wrote:I had a further thought and that is even if they say they are thinking about printing money the aussie dollar will drop substantially and everyone here will get or keep a job.

Your logic is flawed.

In the short term there might be some benefits in lower-skilled jobs such as manufacturing and mining due to an increase in production brought about by apparent lower costs.

However, over time hyperinflation actually has the reverse effect: it eventually requires more and more money to get the same result. Prices rapidly increase while wages remain steady, meaning people buy less. That eventually leads to lower output, which leads to less jobs. And it keeps going in a vicious circle.

That's without even mentioning that we already have far too many lower-skilled jobs. What we really need to be doing is encouraging people to become more skilled, and attract higher-skilled private sector jobs, to avoid the impending brain drain. When it hits (and I assure you it'll happen soon enough, given that current state and federal governments are cutting back on public sector jobs), it's going to be an absolute disaster.
Random Gunzel Insanity - http://jarfness.blogspot.com/
jarf

Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA/Volgren CR228L

Postby eddy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:51 am

A bloke once said that unions are only good in times when you do not need them as the boss is only too happy to give you whatever and pass it on but when times are tough they are squeezed and they have people knocking at their door so they can call the shots.

I think this I a bit relevant to what you are saying in that in the big picture business employs better technology rather than more coolies and we all win out because of this.

However not everyone is a rocket scientist and many jobs cannot be done with a machine and these jobs are going offshore due to our high dollar while our non rocket scientists are desperately looking for a real job.

So I understand that it may not be best practice to print money but if everyone else is taking Australian jobs through printing (once a business folds it will is unlikely to restart) we could at least say we are thinking of doing same and that is what I heard them say on the radio but then this says we will continue to float. http://www.rba.gov.au/speeches/2013/sp-gov-211113.html

Yes when I look at the clapped out paper mill at Nowra with nothing to feed it or the Port Kembla steelworks that is worn out and should be replaced with a new integrated one near plenty of steel making coal higher technology is the go.
eddy

Postby GazzaOak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:22 am

I was thinking about what going with the relation with Indonesia and Australia, and its sure sour with all the spying and whatever. What you would if you were in Tony shoes right now

A: Say sorry to indonesia (but also that means malyaisa, vietnam and whatever will want Australia to say sorry to them for spying scandal, and mean comprising national security)

B: Stay firm and not say sorry (means wreaking relations with indo, but however not comprising national security)

C: Arrest the journo's that exposed it and charge them with threatening national security (as well as a phone call to the US and Russia telling them to get Snowden arrested, and if russia hesitate, tell them about that Snowden will spy on them as well)

I would pick C..... Journo's and anyone who expose national security should be arrested right away, this may sound communist, but however if you try and expose your country national security, you are a betrayal to your country.
GazzaOak

Postby eddy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:34 pm

If you look up this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signals_in ... _by_nation you can see everybody except Indonesia has been spying on each other forever so it is common knowledge and they would do it too if they had the equipment.

It is in Australia's interest to keep Bang Bang and with their election coming up Tony needs to grovel as he does not have to worry about his standing here.

I think it is a slippery slope when the government starts to gag the press it is bad enough just to keep repeating "we do not do a running commentary"

PS Have updated the P site in the fantasy section
eddy

Postby jarf » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:51 pm

IMO, option C is by far the worst out of a list that contains only bad options. The people have the right to know what their government is doing, regardless of how sensitive it is. That is, after all, the main purpose of democracy.

Option B is probably the best out of those - we should also have the right to know what's going on in the world around us. And everyone already does it.

Relations between Indonesia and Australia are already relatively detached, so what's another minor setback going to really do in the grand scheme of things?
jarf

Postby GazzaOak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:02 pm

No matter how democratic the country is, its just plain betrayal to expose out national security

And exposing it can have consequences for everybody. And our democracy can be ruined by a few people exposing things
GazzaOak

Postby simonl » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Newcastle Flyer wrote:1.
chuboy wrote:What's so bad about the carbon tax really?
Let me repeat what former prime minister Julia Gillard said BEFORE an election: "Their will be NO Carbon Tax under the government I lead."

That is not an answer to chuboy's question.
simonl

Postby Newcastle Flyer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:39 pm

To sack Australia's GG, I mean gg.

At simonl, that IS the answer to chuboy's question.
Signature on holidays
Newcastle Flyer

Postby GazzaOak » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:33 am

Even though i would agree with the GG about republic (but not so much about gay marriage since gays can be unionized, in which they get same rights as a married couple, can't people get that point, rather to blanty force the PM to legalize gay marriage)

But however she shouldn't have reveled that she support a republic. Its her job to be a queen counsel but she supports are republic, in which i found was to be funny, but however her job could be on the line
GazzaOak

Postby GazzaOak » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:33 am

I was having a interesting read of this, seem like its shouldn't be Australia Vs Indonesia aspect. I guess labor will try and take side with Snowden

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-20/a ... ng/5106674

The blame, Mr Downer said, should lie with former US contractor Edward Snowden, whose leaked confidential documents to media outlets revealing the spying operations.

and
"Our good friendship and our good relationship and the interests we share shouldn't be held hostage by the abominable behaviour of Edward Snowden."
GazzaOak

Postby chuboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Newcastle Flyer wrote:At simonl, that IS the answer to chuboy's question.

It's not really an answer. What you're saying is that the reason the carbon tax should be revoked is not because it's bad in any way, but simply because it was instituted by a government which previously said it would not implement one. Using that logic we should also revoke GST without hesitation.

I suspect you don't actually know whether a carbon tax is good, bad or neutral and you are basing your position on political grounds rather than rational economic and environmental ones.

As for something I would try and implement as an MP:
www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/11/abolis ... -billions/
chuboy

Favourite Vehicle: The oldest in revenue service.

Postby jarf » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:52 pm

GazzaOak wrote:And our democracy can be ruined by a few people exposing things

It's not like Indonesia is going to suddenly invade and overthrow the government. If they even tried I'm sure would initiate a full-scale World War III, and Indonesia would quickly lose - either by being blown away, or because their momentary shift of attention would leave them ripe for invasion themselves.

I think you may be overreaching just slightly... :lol:
jarf

Postby eddy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:37 am

One way to fix the problem with Indonesia would be to give Bang Bang the gear so he can listen to our calls.
eddy

Postby chuboy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Surely you don't believe Indo isn't also 'gathering intelligence' on us? Its pretty much a given that others are listening in on us as much as we are them.
chuboy

Favourite Vehicle: The oldest in revenue service.

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to The Lunch Room