Your worst subject(s) at school

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Heihachi_73

Re: Your worst subject(s) at school

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Going back to the mid 1990s... English by far, the most pointless subject alongside ancient history (e.g. Greek/Roman/Egyptian - WTF does that even have to do with wanting to learn about computers and electronics? Of course, computers and even calculators were banned at school back then, and practically no-one had a mobile phone then (not that they were of much use beyond phone calls then), only the disabled/"special" kids were allowed to have a computer back then with the exception of computer class which wasn't until 1998 or so; before that it was typing class using electronic typewriters).

If someone can read, write and spell correctly and use proper punctuation and grammar, they should get an automatic pass when it comes to English. Shakespeare, writing stories/poetry/personal diaries and other crap shouldn't even be part of it. Also homework. Why did we get homework anyway? Because the teachers taught us almost nothing to do with the actual subject we were supposedly learning. and It's like when you go to a music class but all you do is write (as in words, not music/lyrics/poetry etc.) rather than playing instruments, then they send you homework and a few classical songs you've never heard of or a few crappy pop songs of the last two years (or if you're unlucky, pop music from the years the teacher was at school - which back in the 1990s when I was at high school, was older than disco, and I absolutely hated the 1950s and 60s Elvis/Buddy Holly/Beach Boys era, not that 90s pop was any better with crap like the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls - of course, playing heavy stuff from Metallica, Pantera or Korn (or Nirvana, yawn) wasn't allowed in the music room, yet that one same Living End song was just about played just about every year). Cue chair thumps to Marilyn Manson's The Beautiful People until the teacher came in. Also, screw Indonesian class too, I think I wagged that for the most past (that and when they moved from the language aspect towards Islam and the fact they don't eat pork as it isn't "clean" or halal or whatever, or that adding salt to a meal would be considered as an insult to Allah or Muhammad or whatnot - I wasn't in the class for RE, actually I didn't opt-in for the class at all, it's what they shoved down our throats - the year before that it was German, and the year before that was German too). And yes, I hated PE/sport too, I am a stick figure under 6 feet tall (180cm), not a footy player or weightlifter.
Badbusboy66
Favourite Vehicle: 1621, 1720, 1892, 2000, 3035

Post by Badbusboy66 »

MATHS including ALL TYPES OF DIVISION MOSTLY LONG DIVISION but I use to clever at maths when I was a yr 2/3 and also art because my art teacher always yells at me for no reason even though it is kinda funny :lol:
TP1288
Favourite Vehicle: Noisy ZF's!!!!

Post by TP1288 »

P.E and Novel Studies.
0405's Rule!
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

What's novel studies? Sounds cool (I'm into English, Geography, History, etc.). I find them interesting.

My worst would be Science. I chose advanced for year 10 (WHY??) and have a bad teacher. Last semester Product Innovation sucked, mostly because of a bad teacher.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

my worst subjects were getting of the buses & going in the gate preferred to stay on the bus with the driver! :D
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

History...
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

I pretty much hated every subject at school, even physics and chemistry which I considered too "theoretical" and fell back on my interest in English, which was the best of a bad lot.
I hankered for more technical stuff which just wasn't around in the 1950's....at least not in a GPS school in Brisbane!
That's why in the school military cadet corps I gravitated as soon as I could to the anti-tank squadron, at least we had nice big field guns to play with there! (and we got to wear a cool beret instead of the regular slouch hat)
Similarly, rather than keep on with sports like rugby and cricket, as soon as allowable I joined up in the rowing group which had a boat-shed in Mowbray Park beside the Brisbane River. allowing me to again interact with some sort of "machinery" in this case rowing fours.
The king hit regarding my distaste for academic subjects came when in Year 11 my class was given an assignment to write an essay on any subject we wished. The subject I chose was "The Wheel." After all, I'd been born into a world full of wheels, whether on race cars, family cars, amphibious jeeps, trucks or buses and coaches.....there was even an ex WW2 Bren Gun Carrier in a corner of the back yard to play on!
I really determined to make this the defining statement of my English studies career and put plenty of energy and time into the project, mostly done in the classroom after school each afternoon waiting for my big brother to finish sports practice and we'd go home together. My piece ended up around 10 "foolscap" pages and I handed it in with some measure of suppressed pride.
The following week, the assignments having been assessed and marked, the English master, "Piggy" Kajewski, strolled around the classroom...preceded by his bulbous belly.... passing back each student's manuscript. Mine was the last, and was dropped disdainfully on my desk with an accompanying grunt as Kajewski turned on his heel and directed his belly back to the front of the room.
I've never forgotten the hollow disappointment and anger that welled up as I saw the words he'd scrawled across the front lower corner of the cover page....one word especially jumped off the page.... "plagiarism".....
I'd been summarily accused and convicted of copying the work or parts of it and that was that. To be very honest I forget whether I protested my innocence or not. I do recall I felt destroyed in that instant and could think of nothing other than to get out of the school environment and into a world where I had more control over my own destiny.
(This is a story that precedes a situation that I've described in my book about Rex Law and Redline, in which I had a discussion with my parents at Coolangatta Qld of all places, about wanting to prematurely leave school in 1959. Maybe I should go back and insert this anecdote to provide more background to that discussion......)
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

English by far..... yeah like what the point of it, if we learn about shakespere and whatever the hell.....
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

GazzaOak wrote:English by far..... yeah like what the point of it, if we learn about shakespere and whatever the hell.....
hahahaha +1
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

Only went to school because it involved catching the bus.

Return to “The Lunch Room”