Annoying driving habits

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Derwent

Re: Annoying driving habits

Post by Derwent »

Properly adjusted fog lights do make a difference in heavy fog, both to driver's vision and to oncoming cars. They do precious little in rain or any other conditions. They are mounted and aimed low so they penetrate under the fog and don't light up the fog in front of you like headlights tend to do. Don't use them in the daytime. Headlights on low beam or proper day running lights are the correct thing to use then,
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

Derwent wrote:Properly adjusted fog lights do make a difference in heavy fog, both to driver's vision and to oncoming cars. They do precious little in rain or any other conditions. They are mounted and aimed low so they penetrate under the fog and don't light up the fog in front of you like headlights tend to do. Don't use them in the daytime. Headlights on low beam or proper day running lights are the correct thing to use then,
Your clearly have never driven in real rain then. Go to the UK and drive in heavy rain there and tell me that they don't make a difference, not you your vision per se but to how visible you are to others.
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

Fair enough, but I'd still rather use low beams in daytime rain.
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

Derwent wrote:Fair enough, but I'd still rather use low beams in daytime rain.
There is rain and there is rain. If you were in rain that required the use of fog lights you would know about it! Personally never seen rain that warrants it here in Aus, but gather some places especially in the mountains would get it.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

The fact that the music was turned up too loud in the car
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Turn it down/ask for it to be turned down?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Derwent wrote:Properly adjusted fog lights do make a difference in heavy fog, both to driver's vision and to oncoming cars. They do precious little in rain or any other conditions. They are mounted and aimed low so they penetrate under the fog and don't light up the fog in front of you like headlights tend to do. Don't use them in the daytime. Headlights on low beam or proper day running lights are the correct thing to use then,
Now if only we could educate drivers to use them when it is foggy.

I used to drive regularly up to the Blue Mountains from Sydney in quite heavy fog. Probably only 60-70% of drivers would have head/fog lights on, a few just used parking lights which had no value at all.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Why do some fog lights have a yellow tint? I'm guessing that it minimises glare where you don't want it. Ie: the fog. Why aren't they all yellow?
And why do I see so many drivers using them illegally, in some cases instead of the headlights?
So they think it looks cool? :?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.

Return to “The Lunch Room”