"Insipid Passenger" Stories

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

12th Man wrote:
Living inbound of UNSW, I often find it harder to get on a CQ bus of an afternoon than a 393/5.
Quay buses fill up between Maroubra and Kingsford, so that's another problem.
I doubt to the extent that 3 or 4 will go past full in quick succession. Loadings are quite obviously student types. It is usually quicker for me to get on a 393 and change at Rob Rd for a CQ bus on the roadway.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Norbert

Post by Norbert »

Mother wrote:Of course they did not say thank you to the driver...
Yes, that happens all the time. The driver will wait, re-open the door etc and the rude people who are now on the bus, do not mutter a word. They don't even make eye contact; what happened to common courtesey these days?
Goodbye 3447: 11/93 - 3/09
TransdevTSL: 3, 13, 17, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 31, 33, 72, 75, 76, 77, 78, 86, 100, 101, 103, 110, 111
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Young Asian IF ,maybe 20 years old, fails to signal a 545 at stop on Pacific Hwy Chatswood.Bus sails past her and she screws her face up at the bus almost as if she is defiantly saying "whuy should I have to lift my arm up for you!
She then walks off in resigned defeat.Classic to watch.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I witnessed an experience with an IF a couple of weeks ago at Taylor Sq. Waiting at the Flinders St stop, said IF with cig in one hand, phone in the other, and pushing a 4 to 5 y.o. kid in a pram. She is roaming around the footpath, up to about 25m from the stop looking in shop windows and talking on the phone.

When the bus finally appears, she rushes back to the stop just as bus pulls up and pushes the pram to the door in front of other waiting passengers. Then proceeds to get kid out of pram, get shopping out, and fold up the pram, all while still on the footpath. Then the usual delay as she puts everything in the luggage rack and starts to look for her fare.

A suggestion from one of the passengers behind her that she could have done all that before the bus arrived resulted in a tirade of whingeing, probably all the way to LaPerouse.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Muttley
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305/O405

Post by Muttley »

IC (Insipid/Ignorant Couple) are snogging at Rockdale station. The city-bound train turns up, doors open, they are still 'in each others arms'. 2 minutes later (still kissing goodbye), the 'Stand clear, doors closing' announcement plays. IF suddenly gets up, but can't get on before the doors close. She yells at the guard 'Hey! I was about to get on the train!'. The guard replies 'Well you should have finished your goodbye pash when the train arrived!' IF shouts a few obscenities and flips the bird at the guard as the train leaves, then cuddles up in arms of her DB (Doting Boyfriend). What a laugh! :lol:
Previously known as 12th Man
Mother

Post by Mother »

I-F offers a $5 note for a $3.90 fare - actually not too bad for an I-F, and the driver has the change ready very quickly. Then the usual IQ level kicks in as she realises, "Oh, wait, I can give you a $20 note, if it helps."
CHIPS ARE CHIPS!
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

i'm sure you Sydneyites won't mind me passing on a story from Adelaide... It's not a mobile phone but I'm sure an iPod will be acceptable

I was doing a 143 today. A girl gets on at the Adelaide Railway Station (North Tce); wanting to go to Burnside Village (a shopping centre). The 145 goes right past it but that's not due for another 30 mins. I advised her of that but she needed to get there quicker. That's ok; the 143 goes about a 10 minute walk from Burnside Village. Anyway, I advised her she'd want to get off on the last stop on Portrush Rd; stop 9. She asked me to stop there and let her know; I said I'd try to remember.

I got onto Portrush Rd (which is a right hand turn onto a busy main road with no traffic lights); and got to stop 9. I opened the front doors, leaned around - had some passengers on board and advised those that cared to listen that this would be the best stop for Burnside village.

As nobody seemed interested I figured she'd gotten off earlier; amongst a group that had left; so I shut the doors and left. The 143 route turns left immediately after leaving stop 9; and as soon as I've done so; the girl comes up to me and asks if that was where she was meant to get off?...

I simply advised her that I'd stopped the bus for her and turned around and attempted to advise her that it was the best stop for Burnside Village. All she had to say was that she "had her music up". I had nothing to say; except to provide her with directions when she alighted at stop 10.

I will point out that when I did lean around; however; she was in the wheelchair area on the drivers side (opposite the centre door), facing the rear of the bus.. and (by her own admission) had her ipod up... no wonder I created no interest!
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Mother

Post by Mother »

Glad to hear a story from Adelaide, Phonj.

And it perfectly illustrates the point we're making: that these shallow self-centered airheads expect the rest of us, including an already very busy bus driver, to be constantly on the lookout for them.

She didn't know the area. Nevertheless, she sat in your blind spot, well away from you, facing away from where she was supposed to be looking (Oops, I forgot, WE are supposed to be looking out for them) and having her music turned up loud, so totally wrapped up in her own delsuions of adequacy.
CHIPS ARE CHIPS!
Muttley

Post by Muttley »

Two laughs from this week.

Wednesday at Railway Square. A group of IFs are standing on the island between Lee St and George St. They're standing close to the George St kerb. A 42x bus drives past and splashes their feet and they squeal and jump away. They then return to the kerb and get splashed by a 431, 438 and a 470. After crossing to the other side they start whining about their 'ruined' pants and boots... :P

This morning at Central station. Two IFs sitting on a bench on platforms 16 and 17 yakking on when 2 trains arrive at the same time. They stay still as passengers get off and others get on them. 'stand clear, doors closing' is announced on the City Circle train. The IFs suddenly jump up but can't beat the closing doors of that train. They then run for the Shore train, but those doors are closed too. Some colourful words are heard as the trains leave :) :lol:
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

And I take it the words were NOT along the lines of "Oh what a bunch of silly sausages we are!".
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Hmmm, what about Insipid Males (IMs) or Insipid Homos (IHs)?

I recall an IT (Insipid Transvestite/Transgender) tsking and tutting for about 25 min while I was in Chatswood, turned out he/she/it was waiting for a 545 bus and was waiting at the wrong side of the interchange. This was after asking a Willoughby driver where to "get a 545 to Epping". Driver gave a blank look and shrugged, before walking into his Scania and closing the doors behind him. I informed he/she/it that they needed to go across the bridge to the other side of the railway line, only for he/she/it to snap at me with a "did I ask you? No! But where do I need to go?" I responded with a: "Well, a please would be nice... but you need to go across the tracks to the other side." All I got was a loud hmph and he/she/it flounced across to the stairs which led to the bridge over the railway line. Typical queenie response, and not the first time I've had such a reaction from a member of the public.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I have encountered a lot of ITs (insipid tourists) around town, where my uniform made me a good source for direnctional info (or I have even offered help to a lost looking soul).

"How do I get to......?", so I spend a couple of minutes showing the way on their map (usually upside down for the direction of travel), and point them in the right direction. After the optional "thank you", they turn around and walk off in the opposite direction. :?:
@ The Museum of Fire.
NLF
Favourite Vehicle: New STA CB 80 B7Rle's, sorry.

Post by NLF »

Sometimes, you do just have to shrug your shoulders at IF's.
At Chatswood one comes over while i'm layed up waiting to start a 534 and asked where the 534 went from, I advise her the bus goes from over at the RSL club (pointing to relevant spot), she then, while on phone goes over to shorelink stop across road, me thinks...hmm better go over and politely re-direct, well this is met with a distastefull look and huff as i again show her where 534 goes from, and she just grunted through phone conversation as she boarded the bus and walks past without a word as she alights on Mowbray Rd. I suppose one can only try.
"Eat Drum, Eat Cymbal"- Animal
"I know for I told me so" - Spinal Tap "Majesty of Rock"
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Post by kitkat271 »

Windy wrote:Hmmm, what about Insipid Males (IMs)
Funny you mention this Windy. Last night as I got off at Town Hall I saw an IM running down the stairs just as the door closed. He was trying to force the bloody door open only for it to almost snap his hands off.

He then shouted obscenities to the guard, which continued until well after the train left. Thing is, it's a North Shore Line train in bloody peak hour ... :lol:
Swift

Post by Swift »

NLF wrote:Sometimes, you do just have to shrug your shoulders at IF's.
me thinks...hmm better go over and politely re-direct, well this is met with a distastefull look and huff as i again show her where 534 goes from, and she just grunted through phone conversation as she boarded the bus and walks past without a word as she alights on Mowbray Rd. I suppose one can only try.
Unfortunately ,this seems to be typical Sydney girl behavior.Its disgusting.
There is a prevalence of spoilt brats with no appreciation of the value of manners in this city.Sydney people have become harsh.

Nowadays it has gotten that way where you are likely to be dealing with someone from interstate when they are pleasant and are appreciative of your assistance!
Muttley

Post by Muttley »

Seems to be my week for seeing IFs getting served.

Returning to the City from Narrabeen on an L90 today, two IFs (both about 16) board the bus, each tendering a $20 note for their $2.30 city fare. They sit up the back and start yakking away loudly for the whole trailer of the bus to hear. One passenger tells them to talk a little quieter, they snap at him for 'eavesdropping'

As the bus passes through the Spit Junction, they each open a mixer drink, and start drinking. Unfortunately, the driver can't see the drinks even though the bus is a Volvo Artic. Their luck ran out at Neutral Bay Junction when transit officers boarded the bus :D .

They were both fined for consuming alcohol on a bus, AND for paying concession fares without being in possession of concession cards :lol:. Both transit officers copped abuse as they were removed from the bus at Wynyard...
Windy

Post by Windy »

DroppedAndGone wrote:
Maybe you should come to Adelaide, it's filled with IAs...
Insipid Adelaidians? Or Insipid Asexuals? :P
ABS

Post by ABS »

Insipid A%@^holes...
Composition Dept

Post by Composition Dept »

Hope you guys don't mind a Brisbane story. This story though is common on this route. :lol: .

Driver: Where do you want to go?
IF: Daily to Sunnybank
Driver: Is that a Zone 4 ticket to Sunnybank that you want?
IF: Um.....uhhhhh.......I don't want to go to Zone 4, I want to go to the carpark behind Sunnybank.
Driver: Well, is that Sunnybank Plaza?
IF: Yes
Driver: Then that's a Zone 4 daily ticket, $3.40 thank you.
IF: *pause* Where's Zone 4? I want to go to the carpark behind Sunnybank?
Driver: Sunnybank IS Zone 4!

IF leaves bus.
ABS

Post by ABS »

I had some idiot board a 150 today, ask for a ticket to get to Kessels Road, buys a Zone 3-3 Off-Peak, changes her mind and get a Zone 3-3 Daily, then later on she tries to board a 132, gets refused and has to buy another ticket.
crimsontide

Post by crimsontide »

12th Man wrote:Seems to be my week for seeing IFs getting served.

Returning to the City from Narrabeen on an L90 today, two IFs (both about 16) board the bus, each tendering a $20 note for their $2.30 city fare. They sit up the back and start yakking away loudly for the whole trailer of the bus to hear. One passenger tells them to talk a little quieter, they snap at him for 'eavesdropping'

As the bus passes through the Spit Junction, they each open a mixer drink, and start drinking. Unfortunately, the driver can't see the drinks even though the bus is a Volvo Artic. Their luck ran out at Neutral Bay Junction when transit officers boarded the bus :D .

They were both fined for consuming alcohol on a bus, AND for paying concession fares without being in possession of concession cards :lol:. Both transit officers copped abuse as they were removed from the bus at Wynyard...
Wouldn't the driver be hauled over the coals for charging a concession fare when the IFs didn't have the appropriate card?
Muttley

Post by Muttley »

crimsontide wrote:
12th Man wrote:Seems to be my week for seeing IFs getting served.

Wouldn't the driver be hauled over the coals for charging a concession fare when the IFs didn't have the appropriate card?
Unfortunately not all drivers ask for concession cards and I'm not sure if the rule is policed or not so a fair few IFs get away with concession fares when they shouldn't. It also seems that bus transit officers are not that common. I'm a regular STA user and only see them once every 3 months or so.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

crimsontide wrote:Wouldn't the driver be hauled over the coals for charging a concession fare when the IFs didn't have the appropriate card?
Nope. STA drivers are told not to argue with passengers. Drivers generally just issue whatever ticket the passenger requests. It is up to the transit officers to catch the fare evaders.
crimsontide

Post by crimsontide »

Oh I see, I know in the case of the privates No pass=Full Fare. (that said a inspector on anything other than a school service, I struggle to remember the last time that was (apart from a occasional one driving))
Thanks for clearing that up. 8)
Swift

Post by Swift »

Ken wrote:
crimsontide wrote:Wouldn't the driver be hauled over the coals for charging a concession fare when the IFs didn't have the appropriate card?
Nope. STA drivers are told not to argue with passengers. Drivers generally just issue whatever ticket the passenger requests. It is up to the transit officers to catch the fare evaders.
I got admonished by a CSC for giving a concession to a no shower one time.
I guess this newly promoted CSC expected me to waste everyone's time and check for a card even though he ,no doubt never bothered himself as a mere driver.

Return to “The Lunch Room”