Literally this literally that..

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Literally this literally that..

Post by Swift »

An irritating habit of people lately is the misuse of the word literally.
Anyone notice how people are getting in the habit of saying it all the time even though it is inappropriate??It is becoming another "absolutely" and it's pathetic.
They'll say something like "he literally blew up at me" which would mean he exploded in her direction which isn't likely.
This word is meant to emphasise that it really happened a particular way as opposed to an exaggeration or a saying.
It makes me cringe inside everytime I hear it being misused yet again by the stupid sheep :roll:
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
widget

Post by widget »

Sadly, its impossible to stop society destroying the English language.
Volvo B12BLEA
Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Re: Literally this literally that..

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

Swift obsessor wrote:An irritating habit of people lately is the misuse of the word literally.
Anyone notice how people are getting in the habit of saying it all the time even though it is inappropriate??It is becoming another "absolutely" and it's pathetic.
Absolutely, I agree, literally.
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.
Nexas

Post by Nexas »

Swift obsessor wrote: They'll say something like "he literally blew up at me" which would mean he exploded in her direction which isn't likely.
It's not likely but it is possible. :P
Views expressed by me are strictly my own, not of my friends, employer, or anyone else.
mjrs23

Post by mjrs23 »

MAN 18.310 wrote:
Swift obsessor wrote:An irritating habit of people lately is the misuse of the word literally.
Absolutely, I agree, literally.
I was about to right something one the lines of that :lol: (until I saw you bet me to it :twisted:
Stuart Dew retire's :cry: 1997-2006

Shane Warne Retire's :cry: 1992-2006

That's two in one year!
Tranzit44

Post by Tranzit44 »

I used to work in an office where everyone seemed to develop and copy the habit of opening a conversation by saying, "You know what?...".

After awhile, this began to drive me up the wall, so at the first opportunity I couldn't resist pointing this out to my manager who was the worst culprit in this regard, and he actually agreed with me, admitting that members of his own family had raised that very subject. I think it's just a case of "lazy mouth".

It's true that people under stress tend to become repetitive. I've lost count of the interviews I've seen--including prominent people--where they can't help but lapse into peppering their dialog with "ya know" and "like".

Like...ya know...cut it out already! :roll:
...miles to go before I sleep...
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

I was sitting down for a quiet drink with Axle Whitehead a couple of weeks ago along with some of my mates, and we were reminicsing over his recent interview with Paris Hilton which he did for Video Hits. She is a big user of words such as "like" and "sooo" during her sentences.

As he put it so nicely "She is one very spare woman."
member 1423

Post by member 1423 »

I've been trying to improve my language skills by speaking more formally and avoiding works such as 'like' and 'um'

Return to “The Lunch Room”