United 93 (The Movie)

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

nick0252

United 93 (The Movie)

Post by nick0252 »

Evening All,

Just wondering if anyone has seen the aforementioned film and what your opinions may be on it.

I went and saw it last night and can make the following notes

1 - It was extremely confronting. Knowing what was actually happening on the screen actually happened to those poor souls that day actually left me feeling sick in the stomach at times
2 - Maybe I get too sucked in by TV/Films ... but I could almost feel the fear and confusion for those people. What a horrible, horrible reality they faced up there.
3 - I have never seen so many people walk out of a movie. Perhaps a combination of the above 2 points? Has anyone else who saw it noted a large walkout crowd?
4 - Despite the hopeless situation those passengers found themselves in. It is a true tribute to their courage and bravery that they had the ability to keep their heads together, formulate a plan and do something about it.

I could only hope if I was faced with such a dire situation (and good heavens, I'd rather not be) I too would have the same bravery those passengers on flight UAL 93 had to fight back.

A film that truly left me humbled and somewhat reflective. Says a lot about both the good and evil side of the human spirit.

Opinions anyone?
--->"Ahh, that was in the time of Emporer Nazee Goreing and, it was to keep the rabbits out"
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

I saw it last night too - the filming technique and cameras used make things a lot more confronting than they otherwise would have been. Use of the actual air traffic controllers as they were that fateful day also adds to the realism of the whole thing. It ends up somewhere between a movie and a documentary.

Truly a bad day for earth. I recommend everyone see it.

(no-one walked out of the cinema where I watched it).
Job done.
mjrs23

Post by mjrs23 »

I've never heard of that movie before, has it only came out in Sydney (at the moment) or is it out every where and I'm just blocked out from the outside world :?
Stuart Dew retire's :cry: 1997-2006

Shane Warne Retire's :cry: 1992-2006

That's two in one year!
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

mjrs23,
It is out in the A.C.T and I would presume everywhere else too. Infact, just looking at Hoyts it is out all over Australia. check out your local cinema company for times.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
Volvo B12BLEA
Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Post by Volvo B12BLEA »

It has also been released, a while ago, in the United States.
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.
mjrs23

Post by mjrs23 »

thanks "I should get out more often" :oops:
Stuart Dew retire's :cry: 1997-2006

Shane Warne Retire's :cry: 1992-2006

That's two in one year!
hillsboy

united 93 movie

Post by hillsboy »

I saw it last night and thought it was a very well made movie, despite the obvious subject matter.

Im quite surprised where i saw the movie (Castle Hill) noone walked out, but i guess before u go in there,u know what the end is going to be.

I was in the states at the time holidaying and will never forget going to my hotel foyer, ready to go to Disneyland for the day, only to be told it was closed due to 2 planes crashing in New York, the desk clerk then advised me to go and turn the news on im my room, thats when i discovered the horror that had taken place about 3 hrs before.

There is also another movie called World Trade Centre, due for release very soon, starring Nicholas Cage.
member 1423

Re: united 93 movie

Post by member 1423 »

hillsboy wrote:There is also another movie called World Trade Centre, due for release very soon, starring Nicholas Cage.
That guy's a fantastic actor. Lets hope his performance in WTC is as good as Lord Of War.
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

Im particularly keen to see "United 93" if for nothing else, to compare it to its "made for television" brother "Flight 93" which i saw recently.

Flight 93 was a reasonable effort, so im keen to see if "United 93" is better or more gripping, considering it most likely has a larger budget.
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Post by kitkat271 »

I'm glad you all had the stomach to watch this one ... I don't, esp knowing that it's more or less a re-enactment.
Rail Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Tigers, Mk2 Mercs, and trams

Post by Rail Bus »

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I am keen to. Knowing what happens in the end isn't going to make it any easier to view. :( Since that fateful day 5 years ago, I have considerd the passengers on the real United flight 93 to be heroes. Somehow, they stopped the plane from reaching its intended target, although they all died. :x Is it not better to die trying to stop these a***wipe terrosits than to merely sit back and watch as your plane slams into a building??? :?: :x
New website up and running, showing mostly trains and some trams.
See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/w6-983/
Busnerd

Post by Busnerd »

I saw it last saturday, fantastic movie (somewhat marred by someone at the start pretending to be George off seinfeld, calling out "ELAINE" during a silence)but it was a great movie, very well made, although the fact that it is true and a story of my time made it somewhat saddening, and at the end of the movie everyone got up and left, no one said a word, I guess it just had that effect on people. Which is understandable
www.actbus.net | Get On Board

Return to “The Lunch Room”