What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Leave it to Mcdonalds to have their self-service terminal eftpos reader's paywave to fail and not give any notice or indication that it's not working what so ever. I was getting dinner last night since I was out with my friends, as usual at this time of night this Mcdonalds is packed out, the register lines is long but I see an empty spot in the self-service area so I go for it. Make up what I wanted and go to pay, "I know, I'll use paywave since I won't have to hunch my back down to slide my card in and enter my PIN like a caveman". Nope card isn't reading, maybe I'm not doing it right?

I try again, leaving it a few cm away from the reader (nope), try putting it directly on the reader in all sorts of directions (nope) finally I see a young employee fiddling with another terminal that had broke (That thing was running Windows ME when it rebooted or had a theme like it applied to it) and I say "Excuse me but my card isn't being read". That's when she tells me that "Paywave doesn't work on this one". Yeah good going because there's a line now backed up behind me, I'm there looking like a buffoon trying to get my card read and now find it out that "paywave doesn't work", Had their been a sign I would've stuck to the other working terminal which I definitely know has working paywave. Anyway for my self serve machine my time to pay is up and gives the option to "retry" or "Cancel", she says someone will serve me at another register (which at this time the line was now clear for this one) I tell the next employee about it and say there should really be a sign if your paywave isn't working to save time being wasted and 2ndly a crowd of people to generate from the time wasted. I just got the usual "Yeah we will" spill and "blank stares", it's not the messages (person at the registers fault) but surely if an employee knows it's broken management at that store would too.

Yeah all this over "paywave" not working but no notice what so ever that it was out of order.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Is a piece of paper with a note taped to the offending terminal too much to ask?
Filthy disease carrying rodents who give blank stares to a reasonable enquiry deserve a backhand slap to the dial. The ultimate disrespect as far as I'm concerned!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Swift wrote:Is a piece of paper with a note taped to the offending terminal too much to ask?
Filthy disease carrying rodents who give blank stares to a reasonable enquiry deserve a backhand slap to the dial. The ultimate disrespect as far as I'm concerned!
To Mcdonalds?

Yes it's too much to ask. To make matters worse I've used the terminals at many other stores and 95% of them are always out of receipt paper (I like to keep it to know I haven't been overcharged or proof of my order even tho it's sent to their system in the kitchen) Heck 3 or 4 weeks back I was at one of my locals and the terminal gave me the receipt paper but it HAD NO INK on it. it was 100% pure blank paper.

I can on the other hand recall most of the times I've been to KFC and left without trouble or issues.

And this new Mcdonalds I was at last night doesn't even have an "Orders being prepared / ready" screen. Go figure but the KFC next door does. I've only been at Mcdonalds as of late due to their deals on some foods they are selling, once they're over I'll go back to KFC as I find their food more filling than Mcdonalds.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
scott

Post by scott »

The Mcdonalds store I go to has a orders being prepared/ready screen that is there, but has never worked, the poor girls have to scream out the numbers, often multiple times, the people in the queue often have their heads buried in their smartphones, and ignore their call. They have a new system(at this store anyway) where if you eat in, they give you a number, you take a seat and they bring it to you.

Also the staff turnover has been massive in recent months.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I forgot to mention that this is a new Mcdonalds that's just opened up in a shopping centre Foodcourt as part of the centres redevelopment over the past 2 years. With how noisy the food court gets and background ambience you think for a Mcdonalds like this an orders ready screen would've been a MUST. Apparently not.

I mean I'm always paying attention but I should mentioned that this Mcdonalds also has no line control what so ever so you have to sorta barge past people standing all over the place to get near the front to collect your order once they call out your number and that's even if you hear your order # being called out all over the loud noise but if you pay close attention to what the workers are putting in the bag you should be able to tell your order will be the next one that's ready.

Anyway enough of the Mcdonalds ranting & raving from me
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
New rant

95% of the people in my area have opal cards which is good which means if they're ready before hopping on they can tap & go and get a seat quickly. As for the remaining 5% it's either cash which as we all know they spend minuets for digging in their wallet or purse or they have an Opal card but that's buried somewhere deep on them and they spend the next 2 minuets looking for it.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

FOR GOODNESS SAKE, HOW MANY MORE TIMES WILL MOTORISTS STOP PARKING IN OR TOO CLOSE TO THE BUS STOPS, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S THE SAME MOTORIST?

(Okay that feels better!)

• Um, no McDonalds, that Grand Big Mac, is just the size as a Big Mac USE to be!
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Swift

Post by Swift »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:
• Um, no McDonalds, that Grand Big Mac, is just the size as a Big Mac USE to be!
Exactly what I thought. But charge a grand price they do.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Young Aussies (mainly women) propensity to describe everything as sooo amazing! Makes me reflux every time I hear it. I might emigrate to Canada just to escape it!
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

One word: BUSTECH

The fact that while STA and CDC are stocking up new Volgrens, Transdev is STILL ordering hundred-something Bustechs!!!

I. ABHOR. BUSTECHS. Along with the many faults with them, I have to sometimes deal with sore ankles and Bustech's special sloped floors just only make that pain worse, and this sometimes when I'm on my way to work, which I need to walk around. Also I've seen a number of the newer Bustechs on the 905 lately, which is part of the reason why I don't even take the 905 as much anymore.

Oh, and don't get me started on the 905's day-by-day changing fleet; it's like whenever I'm not about to board it, there's a Volgren CR228L Volvo B7RLE, but whenever I do want to join the 905, it always ends up being a Bustech. At least Punchbowl Bus Co never ordered a single Bustech.

Forgive me if I mentioned it before on this thread, but I've had to do it, since my foot's been sore yet again lately after having to ride a bunch of these pieces of garbage just to get to work!

Aaand on a non-PT-related note, Seven's Royal Wedding Coverage nudging the AFL to 7mate. I'm a Magpies supporter and because Sydney vs Fremantle was on and we don't have Foxtel, I completely missed the Pies vs Saints game!
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

So many parents who can't control their children and let them run about in circles and in front of people. After finishing my shopping and getting lunch I was making my way out of one of the shopping centre exits and there's a table with Chinese mothers near the exist having lunch, their 2 kids are running in circles and the mothers both have their faces looking towards each other talking instead of watching their kids. I had a shopping cart and I had to stop 4 times because the kids continued to run in circles in front of me. 4th time I screamed out to them to (to the mothers) "Watch your damn children" or something like that. I don't think they noticed or cared but don't be the one crying over spilt milk if your child get's injured by a shopping cart or bumps into someone and falls onto the ground for whatever reason and you were to neglectful to get them safely out of the way. I understand parenting isn't easy but that isn't a right or privilege to be neglectful and stop paying attention to them while you stuff your mouth & eat and talk with your friends.

I'm not starting any stereotypical crap or being racist. I'm just stating the events of what happened today. I wasn't this bad as a child and my parents (or whoever I was with at the time) would always tell me to watch out or let another adult through. These days it's all heads down in phones and letting children run amuck and waiting for them to get injured so you can make the guy on the other end look bad.

the fact that I had to stop 4 times and the first 3 times the parents still took no notice I was trying to get past their children and out of the centre is bad enough.

2nd Rant. Woolworths at my local centre is going under Butcher & Bakery renovations which I can understand can cause some items to become unavailable but apparently they have enough resources to do everything else except for cinnamon donuts. I was there Thursday evening... Nothing... this morning and still nothing but they have all sorts of other bakery crap no one wants. Coles had what I needed & wanted luckily.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Don't get me started on pathetic mums who won't control their kids. they think it's their divine right to let them run amok and it's everyone else's responsibility not to run into them. This problem is not peculiar to any race. Fathers always do a far better job of keeping their monsters in line. Mothers, with a few exceptions, are hopeless.
scott

Post by scott »

In a similar vein, parents with toddlers getting on buses and letting their little monsters climb over the seats etc while the bus is moving while they stare at their phone, and the way they speak to you when you tell them to watch their children instead of thier damn phones.

People making no effort to move down a full bus, again too busy with headphone and smartphones.

This dumbed down society is really starting to get to me.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

scott wrote:In a similar vein, parents with toddlers getting on buses and letting their little monsters climb over the seats etc while the bus is moving while they stare at their phone, and the way they speak to you when you tell them to watch their children instead of thier damn phones.

People making no effort to move down a full bus, again too busy with headphone and smartphones.

This dumbed down society is really starting to get to me.
At least these two "mothers" or whatever the hell their classed as were too ignorant to speak back, that or they don't speak English or didn't hear me. I would've had a lot more to say tho if they attempted to speak to me and defend their children(s) actions playing around. Christ sake there's a playground about 30m - 70m (I'm terrible with distance but hopefully you get the picture) after you go out this exit I went out. They could've sat out there and let their kids run wild on the playground. Instead they let them run wild in front of a high traffic exit / entry spot. If the mothers are parents then they aren't very good ones to say the least. A good parent would watch their children and if they get in the way of people would be very quick to get them out of the way.

Speaking of children climbing seats now that you've reminded me.

I was heading on a train a while back to the Main station in my area, high school kids get on at the station that's not far from two schools. As we're about two stations away from the last stop the buggers were climbing over the seats and had their feet on the seats. If someone stepped in do do (dog do) I don't think I'd want to sit in it. It's bad enough that on the same train at the start of the service there was some other person with their feet on the train divider wall and the Guard saw what the guy was doing but proceeded to do nothing and go to he's crew compartment. If it had been a TO they would've had a field day on that guy.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I'm sick of thoughtless behaviour by more and more Australians on public transport and everywhere else! We are regressing as a nation. Time for a rebellion from well brought up citizens!
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Got for the 2nd time this week a call from the supposed "Chinese Embassy".

The first happened on Monday (this week) and like with any automated call after answering there was 5 seconds of dead air before the recorded message played saying something about the "Chinese Embassy" and I quickly terminated the call and blocked the number.

The 2nd happened today while I was in an important meeting and instead of English recorded audio, it was in full Chinese from the get go. (Still 5 seconds dead air before the message played)

Funny enough I got the first call at 11:44 AM on Monday, Yesterday got nothing from them, today got the call again around 11:50 AM. Wonder if by Friday I'll hear back from them again at 12:00PM?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Yes I have long since ceased bothering with shopping centres where possible. The most recent was trying to enjoy a quick coffee, only to be disrupted by the children of several mothers running around screaming whilst a group of the ignorant twenty or thirty-something year olds gossiped and kept their heads buried in their phones. Even though I'm not far off that bracket, it seems a not-insignificant number of these types of parents just let their kids do whatever they please, no discipline apart from empty threats about "being naughty."

During my time working as Checkout staff at a small IGA, someone's child was running amok in the shop. Walking through the shop on my way to do 'something,' the child ran straight into me. I kept walking. A couple of the regular customers had kids that were either running around, screaming, throwing tantrums or all of the above. I suspect I know the types of adults they will grow into...
Swift

Post by Swift »

Merc1107 wrote:Yes I have long since ceased bothering with shopping centres where possible. The most recent was trying to enjoy a quick coffee, only to be disrupted by the children of several mothers running around screaming whilst a group of the ignorant twenty or thirty-something year olds gossiped and kept their heads buried in their phones.
There was a story of a café on the central coast of NSW that put in a no phones policy where patrons must not use their phones in the café and it had been successful. What about banning unruly kids and mums who refuse to control them? I think I would drive up net patronage!
scott

Post by scott »

There is a chemist down here in Melbourne, not far from Chadstone, that will not serve anyone whilst they are on their phone, and have a sign on their door warning people to get off their phone or they will not be served.

I remember as a kid in the 80's and 90's, going to a cafe or a restaurant and actually talking to Mum,Dad or my grandmother, whoever was there with me at the time(only child, so no sibling to bash up), and when I had other kids, we were either in the playground or sitting down being watched all the time. The only phones were those orange or red payphones.
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

bus drivers not using the right kind of vehicles when we know most passengers have kids and prams with them.I really felt bad for someone the other week in such a situation and wanted to help.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Homer9000, that's not the bus drivers fault. They're only told to drive the buses they're given.

To continue:
Just how many times (excuse me while I yell) “DO WE HAVE TO TELL PEOPLE TO BUT COVER THEIR BLOOMIN' MOUTHS & NOSES WHEN THEY COUGH &/OR SNEEZE?”
(end yelling)

Hmm, not enough emphasis on that!

I had to tell two passengers in the bus the other day, and I had to the woman twice & she still ignored me. What dirty so & soes.

PS: The red text is not big enough! No wonder Australia has a problems with colds &/or flu.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

In response to the above, I'm afraid the blokes are much worse offenders in this category than the ladies. 9/10 just don't give a flying **** from my obs.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Coming down with the Winter flu or the classic "sore throat", loss of voice and the loss of an appetite to eat anything and shortly followed by headaches and drowsiness.

Also people who light up cigarettes at bus stands (I think you can't smoke 100m from a bus-stand in NSW and it's prohibited to smoke at a bus stop) I finally get a seat only for some nugget I'm sitting next too to light up their ciggie without any consideration or warning or I & other waiting passengers are already waiting for the bus and someone comes out and then lights up their ciggie with no warning or consideration . Understandable if you want to .... smoke but can you have some consideration and either ask the person your sitting next too to politely movie or even better, move somewhere yourself not close to a bus stand. And if your bus is due to come within minuets then you shouldn't have lit up the cigge anyway TBH. I see crap like this everyweek and as a non-smoker (never smoked and proud of it) I'd want to stay as healty as possible and away from those deathsticks.

Doesn't help that stops like the one at my local major shopping centre only have little stickers the size of a nametag stuck to the stops window pane advising you can't smoke here so most people just light one up anyway.

This doesn't mention the 100m but I swear I can recall somewhere saying you can't smoke 100m from a bus stop

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/tobacco/Fa ... ations.PDF
Swift

Post by Swift »

You can guarantee that smoker will then drop their cigarette on the ground which leads to another pet hate.
Disgusting rodents like that should be arrested and tied up and cruel acts perpetrated toward them. :evil:
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Swift wrote:You can guarantee that smoker will then drop their cigarette on the ground which leads to another pet hate.
Disgusting rodents like that should be arrested and tied up and cruel acts perpetrated toward them. :evil:
Lol they already do since the bus stands are smoke free area's and as such aren't equipped with the ash trashes or cigge bins. I don't see them drop it but I hope they extinguish it when their done.

Anyway late last night, this... yes this

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... eavy-usage

NBN Chief has leashed out at gamers as of late saying their one (at first it was the reason) the network was so slow. Now I've just come across this article and they want to throttle gamers who use the most during peak hours. I've studied IT and streaming movies or shows would use more data + bandwidth than online gaming. I've also done additional research and most multiplayer games seem to only uses less than 100 Megabytes an hour and even then Multiplayer games care about one thing... latency. If your latency is high you'll be in for a laggy match. Latency is how long it takes for your device to send a message to another device. Poor routing, technology used and what not could lead to higher latency. What you always want is a low latency. The lower it is the better.

Anyway I'm paying $70 for the internet and I'd like to use it as I please that includes gaming whenever I can get around to it during my downtime. This crap wouldn't fly in Great Britain, not even USA with all the recent Net Neutrality saga and it certainly shouldn't be allowed to fly here.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Grinches that sit at 45 degree angles in front of you on forward facing seats and stare at ya as though they think you're about to attack them!

Return to “The Lunch Room”