[JR] Local and Limited Express trains 2

Overseas related photos, videos, sound clips etc.

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

[JR] Local and Limited Express trains 2

Post by Sir Pompously »

Part 2 of my photos of Local and Limited Express JR trains.

Two JR West 103 series EMUs are seen at Kyoto Station. There are some subtle differences between the two sets, the most visible one is the headlight mounting on the older set to the right. These sets used to have a single round headlight before being replaced by the twin sealed beam headlights

A JR East E701 series EMU is seen at Aomori. I would assume that with the opening of the Hokkaido Shinkansen that this station will be much less busy than it is now, considering it will loose the Hokkaido services from this station.

A JR West 681 series EMU is seen having just arrived from Osaka on a Thunderbird service

A JR West 521 Series EMU is seen at Toyama Station

JR West 221 Series set A11 is seen at Osaka Station after running from Sannomiya to Osaka as an extra service. This service attracted a lot of attention from local enthusiasts due to the type of train and the fast service it was running on.

EF 81 106 leads a special "Blue Train" towards Osaka through Shimamoto Station on a positioning run so the train could run later in the evening back north from Osaka

A JR West 201 series EMU is on a Loop Line Service arriving into Teradacho

A JR East KiHa58 series DMU is seen at Niitsu depot. This train is the "Kenji" joyful train, and before this it was the "Salon Express Arcadia" before a fire gutted one of the end carriages in 1988, only a year after it re-entered service following refurbishment

A JR East KiHa 110 DMU is seen departing Niitsu Railcar depot to begin a service. The nearby JR East Factory is very interesting to walk around and at the time they were moving brand new E233 carriages (for the Tokaido Main Line) between manufacturing sections

A JR West 415 series EMU arrives into Hodatsu station as snow falls. A few hours later the platform at this station was covered in snow.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
Bedford-29

Re: [JR] Local and Limited Express trains 2

Post by Bedford-29 »

I thought all the series 103 were withdrawn from service over there.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Ray

Post by Ray »

yes these look like EMUs long withdrawn from the tokyo network - are they still alive and kicking? I'm referring to the 201 series too.
Go Cats.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The 103s are another type that seem to have been around for ever. They were just starting to be phased out from the Yamanote line when I first went to TYO in 1985.

The Yamanote cars had a few minor design differences to those used elsewhere (of which there were also variations)
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

Yes, the 103 and 201 series trains are still in regular service on the JR West network and from what I understand this is due to them being easier to maintain (and they last longer). I believe the variable frequency traction is more costly to maintain and renew. Plus JR East renew trains more quickly than JR West, especially in Tokyo where they have trains running more runs and placed under more stress.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club

Return to “Overseas Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc.”