V/Line: Extra trains for Wendouree - 9, Oct, 2011.

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Bradley
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M Mk4, Volgren Artic.

V/Line: Extra trains for Wendouree - 9, Oct, 2011.

Post by Bradley »

V/Line.

http://www.vline.com.au/about/news/medi ... ticle.aspx wrote:
Extra trains for Wendouree

Tuesday 6 September 2011

The number of trains for Wendouree passengers will more than double from Sunday 9 October following a government funding boost, Minister for Public Transport Terry Mulder announced today.

V/Line has been given the go-ahead to extend 85 existing weekly Ballarat trains to and from Wendouree Station - resulting in more station staff, extended ticket office hours and greater flexibility for the people of Wendouree, Lake Gardens, Alfredton and surrounds.

Mr Mulder said the Coalition Government’s funding of $470,000 towards the timetable overhaul would see a greater choice of trains starting and finishing at Wendouree, particularly in the middle of the day, late at night and on weekends.

"Most Ballarat trains will soon stop at Wendouree Station making it an attractive place for people to leave the car rather than drive to Ballarat Station where parking is at a premium," Mr Mulder said.

"With more than a doubling of weekend trains for Wendouree passengers, going to cricket or special events in Melbourne will allow people to catch the train for the entire journey. The extension of late night trains in particular means saying goodbye to the cost of a cab or the hassle of getting picked up from Ballarat Station.

Currently the last weekday train to Wendouree leaves Southern Cross at 6:24pm. The latest Melbourne departures will soon be 9:54pm on Monday to Thursdays or 11:24pm on Fridays.

"Good public transport in regional Victoria is vital to the wellbeing of local communities. By injecting almost half a million dollars towards these improvements, the people of Wendouree will benefit enormously."

Mr Mulder said as many trains as possible from Ballarat to Wendouree had been extended.

The single track at Wendouree Station combined with a limited amount of drivers meant some trains still had to start and finish at Ballarat.

"As more drivers come onboard and infrastructure improvements are considered, V/Line has the potential to extend even more trains through to Ballarat in the future."

"We’re seeing record numbers travelling on V/Line and yet parking is still sufficient at Wendouree. It makes perfect sense to extend as many trains as possible to this station."

Weekday commuters use about half of the 200 car spots available.

V/Line CEO Rob Barnett said as a result of the extra services, the station opening hours would be extended.

"Two extra station staff will be employed so that we can open the ticket office hours from 5am until 8.30pm Monday to Friday, and until 9pm on the weekend," Mr Barnett said.

"The ticket office currently shuts at 2pm and is closed over the weekend, so this will offer people a greater opportunity to buy their tickets, with the added security benefit of a staff presence at night."

"The station opened in June 2009 with 63 weekly services mainly during peak times and demand for extra trains has steadily grown. From 9 October we will see 158 trains per week at Wendouree."

"More than 71,000 people have joined the train at Wendouree since we started operating services. In August 2011, there was an increase of nearly 10% when compared to August 2010, and an increase of 31% since it first opened."

"Ballarat’s west is growing rapidly, particularly around Alfredton and the new suburb of Lucas. It’s important we keep improving our trains to meet new demand."

A boost in tourism is also expected to flow to the area, attracting people to visit Lake Wendouree and the Ballarat Botanical Gardens which are both a 10 minute walk from the station.

The annual Ballarat Begonia Festival will celebrate its 60th year this March and will be promoted to tourists who want easy public transport options to events outside Melbourne.

A new timetable will be available from vline.com.au from late September and from staffed stations in early October. All train times remain the same on the Ballarat line, except with the addition of the new Wendouree services.
It is good to see extra trains for Wendouree starts 9 October, 2011 for both weekdays, weekends & public holidays.

Cheers

Bradley.
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Re: V/Line: Extra trains for Wendouree - 9, Oct, 2011.

Post by howlerbus »

Yes, very handy for people like me who live in Wendouree and don't drive, so have to walk an hour home or get a taxi if I arrive at Balllarat Station after the last Davis bus (which is too early)
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
runawaybus

Post by runawaybus »

Hopefully Ballarat Transit will change their timetables to accommodate these changes.

I found in a box at home the 1987 Ballarat Transit timetable booklet and in it was a raft of changes including night services and yes I do wonder why they suddenly got scrapped some three years afterwards.

But commendation to Ballarat Transit for actually running most of their services every half hour or every 45 mins and apparantly in 1987 that was considered a big improvement.
Definition of Commuter Consultation or even Community Consultation: "We've made up our minds don't confuse us with the facts".
Craig

Post by Craig »

runawaybus wrote:I found in a box at home the 1987 Ballarat Transit timetable booklet and in it was a raft of changes including night services and yes I do wonder why they suddenly got scrapped some three years afterwards.
I would say the Monday - Saturday evening sevices had survived from the days of the former tram network, which was closed in 1971.

The majority of bus routes had service level cutbacks in the early 90s, due to the poor state of the government finances. The evening patronage in Ballarat had most likely dropped to the point were the government viewed them as somewhere money could be saved.

Kind Regards

Craig :)
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

V/Line.

Hi.

New timetables for extra trains for Wendouree (Ballarat Line) now available on pdf file at: http://www.vline.com.au/pdf/timetables/ballarat1.pdf

Cheers

Bradley.
vlinecars

Post by vlinecars »

Love how Ararat services do Ballarat - Wendouree in 5 minutes, but services terminating at Wendouree take 10 minutes! (V/Line's way of making their stats look good for on time running!)

Ballarat arrivals for trains going to Wendouree are mostly 5 minutes earlier now, surprise surprise :roll:
Cheers,
Matt Julian
V/LineCars.com

jarf
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA/Volgren CR228L

Post by jarf »

It's common everywhere in Victoria. Metro trains usually have 1-2 minutes added at the terminus. There are some bus routes that have padding at the terminus. The 425 has an extra five minutes each way at the Watergardens end on most trips, and 400 is an extreme case, with 10 minutes added at both ends in addition to the already generous running times. :twisted:
Random Gunzel Insanity - http://jarfness.blogspot.com/
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

jarf wrote:It's common everywhere in Victoria. Metro trains usually have 1-2 minutes added at the terminus.
Metro trains (as a general rule) do not have slack added at the terminus. However some lines have an extra 1-3 minutes thrown in part way, of which Frankston is the best example.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Metro replacement buses on the other hand seem to have rather exorbitant slack times built in to the last section. For example, it takes railway buses 2 minutes to get from Epping to Lalor, but 12 minutes to go the other way based on a recent bus replacement timetable. Yeah, sure...
RailwayBus

Post by RailwayBus »

krustyklo wrote:Metro replacement buses on the other hand seem to have rather exorbitant slack times built in to the last section. For example, it takes railway buses 2 minutes to get from Epping to Lalor, but 12 minutes to go the other way based on a recent bus replacement timetable. Yeah, sure...
Intermediate times on rail replacement timetables are rounded down, and this time is transposed into the last section. Most arrive early.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

RailwayBus wrote:Metro trains (as a general rule) do not have slack added at the terminus. However some lines have an extra 1-3 minutes thrown in part way, of which Frankston is the best example.
What's with trains taking 2min from Watergardens to Keilor Plains, but 5min from Keilor Plains to Watergardens then?
Alex on the Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113CRB/Ansair Commuter

Post by Alex on the Bus »

BroadGauge wrote:What's with trains taking 2min from Watergardens to Keilor Plains, but 5min from Keilor Plains to Watergardens then?
As Metro trains usually "turn around" in Platform 2, the extra minutes would probably be to allow any late-departing up trains to clear the Platform 2 road.
Oh, what a perfect world this world would be,
If he was President now - but he's not.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

As Metro trains usually "turn around" in Platform 2, the extra minutes would probably be to allow any late-departing up trains to clear the Platform 2 road.
Isn't there also some issue with restrictive signals covering some distance (most of the way from Keilor Plains?) if there is a train in platform 2 at Watergardens on what would otherwise be a fast stretch of line? Or did I imagine it?
RailwayBus

Post by RailwayBus »

krustyklo wrote:
Isn't there also some issue with restrictive signals covering some distance (most of the way from Keilor Plains?) if there is a train in platform 2 at Watergardens on what would otherwise be a fast stretch of line? Or did I imagine it?
Yes this plays a part. Signal aspects on the down into Watergardens slow a train right down, as compared to departing on the up which is a better run.
Broadgauge wrote:What's with trains taking 2min from Watergardens to Keilor Plains, but 5min from Keilor Plains to Watergardens then?
I am not going to bother answering this one, you've asked me this previously and have had a full explanation.
notch

Post by notch »

Some minor alterations to arrival and departure times for the Maryborough and Ararat services will also come into effect.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

V/Line.

Picked up at Southern Cross Station info desk on 15 October, 2011.

Ballarat - Melbourne includes Wendouree, Bacchus Marsh & Melton (Teal) train/coach pocket format timetables Effective 9 October, 2011.

Cheers

Bradley.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”