Invicta DL Booklet timetable reprints

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Craig

Invicta DL Booklet timetable reprints

Post by Craig »

Dear All

As some of you would be aware, Metlink are no longer producing a paperback novel sized timetable for Invicta services. Instead, a series of smaller DL booklets will now be produced, each covering 3 or so of Invicta's services.

Picked up on Tuesday was the booklet for Lilydale TeleBus & Route 673 (Lilydale - Lillydale Lake), dated 9/11/08, v1 (Jul 09).

The timetable features the new Invicta logo, but still carries the old TeleBus logo.

A DL timetable for the 901 has previously been reported.

Timetables for other Invicta routes should begin appearing shortly.

Kind Regards

Craig :)
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Re: Invicta DL Booklet timetable reprints

Post by RailwayBus »

Good! Most people want a timetable, not a tree. Those old timetables were such a waste of paper, ink and money.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
calembeena
Favourite Vehicle: Hitachi

Post by calembeena »

Craig wrote:Picked up on Tuesday was the booklet for Lilydale TeleBus & Route 673 (Lilydale - Lillydale Lake), dated 9/11/08, v1 (Jul 09).

The timetable features the new Invicta logo, but still carries the old TeleBus logo.
Where from? Metshop? On bus? Lilydale? (I hope not, was out there recently :( )
Calembeena
Craig

Post by Craig »

calembeena wrote:
Craig wrote:Picked up on Tuesday was the booklet for Lilydale TeleBus & Route 673 (Lilydale - Lillydale Lake), dated 9/11/08, v1 (Jul 09).
Where from? Metshop? On bus? Lilydale?
Picked up onboard a bus.

Kind Regards

Craig :)
Bus Bro
Favourite Vehicle: West. Sunshine 112 - NEW Beast

Post by Bus Bro »

RailwayBus wrote:Good! Most people want a timetable, not a tree. Those old timetables were such a waste of paper, ink and money.
I thought it was good Railway Bus.

It meant you could get all of the timetables for a company (in that case Invicta) in one timetable. Easier to collect all of Melbourne's timetables that way.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

I thought it was good too, but more from the point of view that passengers for one route could see what other options for their local area were available, and potentially consider using the bus for journeys other than the obvious ones along the one route.

The Met area timetable booklets from the late 80s were good in this regard in that they weren't too large to carry round, but provided a good coverage of routes for a given area.
RailwayBus

Post by RailwayBus »

Most customers out there (most, not all) would only want the timetable for their route, or maybe for a second one, but don't want 20 when they only asked for one.

Its so environmentally unfriendly, and difficult to carry around. DL sized timetables for a single route are unpopular enough as they can't fit in a wallet or purse (but necessary on a few routes such as smart bus 903), but for 20 routes in one hit?

I was in another area of Melbourne at the weekend, I asked the lady at the desk at the shopping centre for a bus timetable, and before I could even tell her what number I was after, I got handed an entire rainforest. :o

That being said, it IS good for timetable collectors, but they arn't designed specifically for them. :P
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Most customers out there (most, not all) would only want the timetable for their route, or maybe for a second one, but don't want 20 when they only asked for one.
I must admit the Invicta book is probably too big, but the Met timetable booklets I referred to earlier had about half a dozen or so local routes - not a rainforest, but handy for cross promotion.

I probably disagree that if they only asked for one then one should be the number given. Retail environments will often try and upsell you by offering free or cheap add ons for a time to try and get you to become a regular customer for those add ons (eg larger size, doughnut with coffee, coffee with doughnut, etc) at the normal price. I don't see why offering a free timetable for another local route potentially of interest is a problem. The current Metlink 520/572 timetable is a classic example of what I mean, although I suspect it's regarded as a special example given the routes are through routed and the start of the next route is of interest to those already on the bus (ie travelling further through Doreen than the artificial terminus of the routes). Still, the potential exists for someone commuting to Greensborough to realise that the same bus goes the other way with a different route number to the South Morang shopping centre. And so on.

In which case the next step are sensibly sized area timetables which may well be useful for a number of people (eg at present if I want to travel to Northland, I have to look up 2 timetables, to Greensborough another 2 timetables. On the other hand, given the relevant timetables are unlikely to be combined which would be the most useful, then the next best option is to find one booklet with both timetables in it, rather than trying to find where my wife has hidden/lost the 560 and wondering how to get another one given their presence on the buses in question is a little 'sporadic').
RailwayBus

Post by RailwayBus »

krustyklo wrote:
I must admit the Invicta book is probably too big, but the Met timetable booklets I referred to earlier had about half a dozen or so local routes - not a rainforest, but handy for cross promotion.
That sounds acceptable. :)
Mike M

Post by Mike M »

As predicted by Craig the remaining Invicta services have now appeared in the following separate DL format booklets, which I received in the post today.

663 (Belgrave to Lilydale) 691 (Boronia to Waverley Gardens SC) 693 (Belgrave to Oakleigh) dated 20/7/09 v1(Sep09)

664 (Chirnside Park to knox City) 670 (Ringwood to Lilydale) 679 (Chirnside Park to Ringwood) dated 9/11/08 v1(Sep09)

671/672 (Croydon to Chirnside Park) 675 (Chirnside Park to Mooroolbark) dated 9/11/08 v1(Aug09)

676 (Lilydale Loop) 677 (Lilydale to Chirnside Park) 680 (Lilydale to Mooroolbark) dated 9/11/08 v1(Aug09)

Rowville Telebus, 681/682 (Knox City Loop via Lysterfield dated 9/11/08 v1(Aug09)

RIP Invicta combined timetable booklet :( I shall miss you even though you were probably too big & too expensive to produce.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”