New London double decker

Overseas Transport Discussion

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

On Air
Favourite Vehicle: cyclops pedal tipper c1966

Re: New London double decker

Post by On Air »

Don't forget that deckers in any form wont work in Sydney. I will say that despite what Borris Johnson has used as his main leaverage in getting rid of the Mercedes Artics, I suspect that if they had ordered B12 Volvos, or for that matter any chassis with a decent power unit the artics would be staying in London for a while yet. The new DD design is certainly an exciting concept.
On 16 March 1870, bushranger Harry Power and Ned Kelly stuck up and robbed Mr M'Bean! Out of time, Bean?
ajw373

Re: New London double decker

Post by ajw373 »

On Air wrote:Don't forget that deckers in any form wont work in Sydney. I will say that despite what Borris Johnson has used as his main leaverage in getting rid of the Mercedes Artics, I suspect that if they had ordered B12 Volvos, or for that matter any chassis with a decent power unit the artics would be staying in London for a while yet. The new DD design is certainly an exciting concept.
The issue in London wasn't the chassis, but the bus. The perception (which having lived in London for 4 years until Jan 2011) was they clogged the streets and fare evasion was rife.

So the whole campaign was 100% about getting rid of bendies not Mercs. Oddly the Borismaster is apparently going to be operated using an all doors boarding policy, with the rear door open when a conductor is present or closed and opened at stops when not present. The conductor won't be roving or doing any fare collection or checking duties. So we have a bus that will require at times an extra body, but with a boarding policy the same as the artics. Go figure.

Return to “Overseas Transport Discussion”