• Advertisement

Our Mother on a cruise

Overseas Transport Discussion

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

Our Mother on a cruise

Postby Mother » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:40 am

Now I hasten to add that this is a river cruise on the Rhine River with Uniworld, booked in Sydney through Trafalfar Tours.

Only a limited number of European river cruises run in winter, but this one was special visiting the Christmas Markets, a very important part of Christmas in Europe.

For those of you not familiar with the cruise product, remember that it looks expen$ive in the brochure, but it includes transport (the cruise ship itself), luxury private accommodation and all meals - in this case all breakfasts and lunches were buffet, and dinner was a very generous à la carte. Great value for money, definitely!

For those into boats, the Rhine would be fascinating: cruise boats, ferries, vehicular ferries, barges carrying all manner of freight from coal through to cars.

The Christmas Markets that we visited were in Basel, Strasbourg, Speyer or Heidelberg (I chose Speyer - refer to another posting), Mainz, Rüdesheim (one of Germany´s most charming towns with half-timbered houses, castles & vineyards), Koblenz and Cologne.

We have plenty of shore excursions for sightseeing, such as Gutenberg´s printing press, the magnificent Cologne Cathedral - the world´s largest completed French gothic cathedral.

Most of the cruise guests were Americans, so they are all now back home for Christmas, whilst Mother has stayed in Germany for a few days to visit the grandest Christmas Market of them all, the Nuremberg Christ Child Market (Christkindlesmarkt). You don´t have to be religious to enjoy these - they are full of colour, life, great food, atmosphere and very happy people.

Enjoy Christmas, everybody, wherever and however you spend it!
Mother

Postby Dave Wilson » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:23 pm

I trust you will be hawking your wares in the Marktplatz in Naumberg.
Dave Wilson

Postby Mother » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:05 am

Couldn´t have punned it better myself!

Goodness knows what I get up to under enough mistletoe!
Mother

Postby captainch » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:42 pm

god help us would not be a pretty site , would there be that much misletoe
captainch

Favourite Vehicle: M/O3533/MO687

• Advertisement

Return to Overseas Transport Discussion