• Advertisement

Rome Metropolitana Accident

Overseas Transport Discussion

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

Rome Metropolitana Accident

Postby dude » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:05 pm

From my observations last year, this was only a matter of time sadly. The trains were filthy and on the surface looked poorly maintained mechanically. Superficially they look like the New York City Subway in the late 70's when Graffiti was at its worst. Condolances to the victims buts lets hope ATAC SpA take something away from this and clean the system up.

This article has been sourced from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6057876.stm
Two metro trains collide in Rome
Rome metro map
Two people were killed and about 60 injured when two metro trains collided during the morning rush in Rome, officials say.

The crash took place at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II station in the centre of the Italian capital. The trains were travelling on metro line A.

The square above has been cordoned off. Police and firemen are at the scene.

Passengers said the crash happened when one train arriving at the station crashed into the back of another.

One of the dead is said to be a 30-year-old woman.

The two underground trains were travelling at slow speed when they crashed, one stop away from the mainline train terminus in Rome, reports say.

"I saw the train in front and it seemed as though it was getting closer and closer to us and nothing was happening," Fabbiano De Santis told Italian television.

One of the injured is helped into an ambulance
One of the injured is helped into an ambulance
"I realised there was going to be an impact and so I managed to move forward in the carriage and I saw the train came towards me. It was a very strong impact."

Italian television showed images of victims being carried out on stretchers while other passengers emerged looking dazed. Some were spattered with blood.

Early reports said passengers were still stuck in some of the cars.

"We are working to free people who are still trapped in the metal wreckage. Our aim at the moment is to save lives," fire brigade officer Luca Cari told Reuters news agency.
dude

• Advertisement

Return to Overseas Transport Discussion