Leyland 10-speed pneumocyclic (5-speed with splitter)

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
aussieneil

Leyland 10-speed pneumocyclic (5-speed with splitter)

Post by aussieneil »

Hello. I am presently considering the purchase of an ex-Tasmanian (Ulverstone) school/charter bus which was converted to a mobile home in 2015.

It is an Austral Metroliner built on a Leyland Leopard chassis. O.680 engine and 5-speed pneumocyclic gearbox with splitter.

My query regards the fluid flywheel and pneumocyclic. In my time at Martyrs Bus Service in Warburton Vic I drove several Leylands with pneumocyclics, and recall the fluid flywheel engaging at relatively low revs. Even with the engine at idle, a slight 'bump' could be felt when 1st or reverse were selected, and the bus would move even when the engine was just off idle.

I inspected the ex-Tasmanian bus a few days ago, and was amazed I couldn't feel the engagement of 1st or reverse at all with the engine at idle and full air up. Then when trying to move the vehicle slightly (unfortunately a full test drive was not possible) the engine attained quite some RPM before the fluid flywheel started to provide any drive. (There was also a squeal sometimes from the gearbox in 1st or reverse with brakes applied and full power briefly applied which I assume was an out-of-adjustment band).

Did some fluid flywheels have a higher stall RPM than others, or would this indicate possible flywheel issues or even incorrect (i.e. too light) grade of oil in the gearbox?

Any knowledgeable advice will be hugely appreciated!

Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Re: Leyland 10-speed pneumocyclic (5-speed with splitter)

Post by Guy_Arab »

[quote="aussieneil"]Hello. I am presently considering the purchase of an ex-Tasmanian (Ulverstone) school/charter bus which was converted to a mobile home in 2015.

It is an Austral Metroliner built on a Leyland Leopard chassis. O.680 engine and 5-speed pneumocyclic gearbox with splitter.

My query regards the fluid flywheel and pneumocyclic. In my time at Martyrs Bus Service in Warburton Vic I drove several Leylands with pneumocyclics, and recall the fluid flywheel engaging at relatively low revs. Even with the engine at idle, a slight 'bump' could be felt when 1st or reverse were selected, and the bus would move even when the engine was just off idle.

I inspected the ex-Tasmanian bus a few days ago, and was amazed I couldn't feel the engagement of 1st or reverse at all with the engine at idle and full air up. Then when trying to move the vehicle slightly (unfortunately a full test drive was not possible) the engine attained quite some RPM before the fluid flywheel started to provide any drive. (There was also a squeal sometimes from the gearbox in 1st or reverse with brakes applied and full power briefly applied which I assume was an out-of-adjustment band).

Did some fluid flywheels have a higher stall RPM than others, or would this indicate possible flywheel issues or even incorrect (i.e. too light) grade of oil in the gearbox?

Any knowledgeable advice will be hugely appreciated![/quot

I have a number of Leyland manuals I look for you what you want
GUY ARAB

aussieneil

Post by aussieneil »

Thankyou! Do the manuals mention stall speed of the fluid flywheel? Are you selling the manuals? Cheers!

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Post by boronia »

It seems to me that there is not enough oil in the fluid flywheel; have you checked the levels in that and the gearbox?
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.

aussieneil

Post by aussieneil »

boronia wrote:It seems to me that there is not enough oil in the fluid flywheel; have you checked the levels in that and the gearbox?
Yes that was what I also thought possible. Unfortunately I'm 900km away from the bus now! On my drive home from inspecting the bus I also wondered whether access to the top of the engine and/or pneumocyclic was gained through hatches in the original aisle floor, as the motorhome conversion had a flat plywood floor installed with no access panels. I definitely remember the Leyland Tigers with turbo engines at Martyrs Bus Service had floor hatches.

boronia

Post by boronia »

Floor hatches would be an advantage. Not sure how access would go it you put the bus on a hoist.
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.

Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

aussieneil wrote:Thankyou! Do the manuals mention stall speed of the fluid flywheel? Are you selling the manuals? Cheers!
I will have to check I have the right manual
email by PM

boronia

Post by boronia »

aussieneil wrote:Thankyou! Do the manuals mention stall speed of the fluid flywheel? Are you selling the manuals? Cheers!
I'm not sure what you mean by "stall speed". Perhaps the minimum engine revs to circulate sufficient oil?

Normally a vehicle in gear would be capable of moving slowly at normal engine idle speed provided there is no external "resistance" such as brakes applied or a gradient. The power/torque characteristics of the engine would determine the minimum resistance required to prevent this.
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.

Guy_Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

[ Found the Leyland manual of your bus. I also have a parts manual to. A it is in a large file of Leyland type buses I will copy it tomorrow on to a DVD
I will included a a DVD of parts at no cost if you buy the Manual
guy arab

aussieneil

Post by aussieneil »

What sort of $$ am I looking at, guy arab? Haven't purchased the bus yet, but will definitely know tomorrow. Cheers!

Return to “General Transport Discussion”