Videoing Buses/Trains etc.

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Videoing Buses/Trains etc.

Post by Swift »

I recently bought a camcorder and would like to start video recording some buses in route service with it. I'm concerned (ok afraid!) of public reaction and driver's reactions too.
Anyone got advice/ideas on avoiding interactions with passers by and how to handle anyone who asks what you're doing, even if it's ostensibly friendly?
What is the situation like out there?
Unapologetically hate attention seeking bus pax.

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: Videoing Buses/Trains etc.

Post by boronia »

There is a previous post that goes into the legalities and technicalities of photography.

Basically if you are in a public place and not concentrating on a particular person, you are entitled to shoot to your heart's content.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.

Swift

Post by Swift »

Yeah I have researched legalities but people still have their own "parallel universe" laws saying it's prohibited.
Just look at all the auditor videos on the tube with the myriad of characters who insist they know better than you, including law enforcement. :roll:
Not to mention the judgmental ones who ruin your footage when they stare at you and it's captured to remind you each time you view it.

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Post by boronia »

If you are going to get paranoid about it, better take the camera back
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.

Swift

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote:If you are going to get paranoid about it, better take the camera back
Useful for playing back old tapes. I got it second hand at a bargain price to replace my busted one.
I have recorded some Busways MANs outside my home, but it was in the dead of night with no one around. :)

moa999

Post by moa999 »

The word camcorder surprises me (but 2nd hand explains it)..

Almost all your vlogs/low budget docos/films are now filmed in a proper camera, typically in a low weight gimbal, sometimes even using a mobile phone.

As above, if your easily offended may not be the best hobby.

Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

If you are videoing onboard, a decent phone such as a Samsung Galaxy, iPhone or even a Huawei are quite sufficient for videoing. Sit above the rear axle to get the best combination of noises etc...

Don't worry about the legal side of it. Public place means film to your hearts content, as long as you aren't filming a person or anything. If anyone hassles you, just remind them that it is NOT against the law to film public transport, for personal use, in a public area.

Check out some of PoweredbyCNG's or Mr. OC Benz's videos for a look at the best way to do it.
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”