Australian cities compared with overseas cities

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Linto63

Australian cities compared with overseas cities

Post by Linto63 »

Copied from http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... start=1025
moa999 wrote:
tonyp wrote: The public transport system of New York City itself moves about six times the number of people that Sydney's public transport presently moves. The mainstay of the system is metro, the task couldn't be done without that. Like London and Paris, the old metro is fairly dense and compensates for the loss of streetcar (tram) systems that provided the next level of capacity, but nowadays it has become too expensive to build metros with such density and coverage,

So to those who haven't yet gone through the door, I'd ask them whether Sydney's suburban double-deck commuter rail system could do six times the work it does now?
Of course it can't - but those cities have much higher populations crammed into a tiny area - so the public transport solution needs to be totally different.

If you had LR in NYC it would be a conga line of street cars.

Apart from a few small areas Sydney (and even moreso Newcastle) are way less dense.
Comparing Newcastle or Sydney to New York, London or Paris is chalk and cheese. They are different on so many levels. Transport in this country has its faults, but having spent a fair bit of time in New York over the years, wouldn't exactly say its system is anything to aspire to to.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Re: Australian cities compared with overseas cities

Post by BroadGauge »

Linto63 wrote:Comparing Newcastle or Sydney to New York, London or Paris is chalk and cheese. They are different on so many levels. Transport in this country has its faults, but having spent a fair bit of time in New York over the years, wouldn't exactly say its system is anything to aspire to to.
It depends what part of the system you're referring to. There's a lot about the functionality of the subway to aspire to.

I doubt too many suburban commuters using trains in Sydney would want to swap their system for the MTA Long Island Rail Road, had they tried both of them.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I found this American's analysis of Sydney's rail network contrasted with a couple of U.S cities.
https://youtu.be/ne9OsUnVVBg
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I wasn't recommending NY's transportation system as something to aspire to in the first place. I was using it as an example of how many people may be transported by public transport in a city of 8 million people - which is what Sydney will become. I am trying to instill some sense of reality in the minds of people who think that Sydney's suburban double deck commuter rail system will be able to handle such volume into the indefinite future.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”