• Advertisement

Bus priority

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Bus priority

Postby tonyp » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:21 pm

An interesting coverage of the extensive bus priority measures in Warsaw that outlines different approachs and methodology. Much of this would be excellent as a way of increasing bus system capacity in Australian cities, if the resistance of the road agencies to reducing prioritisation of car traffic could be overcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUXVCeoQVxw
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Re: Bus priority

Postby simonl » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:14 pm

66km of bus lanes is less than Sydney. Sydney may be larger geographically but still...
simonl

Postby tonyp » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:21 am

simonl wrote:66km of bus lanes is less than Sydney. Sydney may be larger geographically but still...

Sydney has a population of 5.1 million in an area of over 12,000 sq km while (greater) Warsaw has a population of 3.1 million over 6,000 sq km. I assume that Sydney's count of bus "lanes" includes dedicated BRT-style busways, whereas the point of this video is about extracting exclusive bus lanes from the ordinary streets (plus sharing with trams on tramways).
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Merc1107 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:21 am

We can only dream of true bus prioritisation here in Perth. Excluding the Rockingham busway and the extensive South St/Ranford Rd priority lanes, the major interchanges only get a single phase in (sometimes lengthy) light cycles onto major arterial roads such as South St and Leach Hwy. This can waste several minutes at both the start, and end of the journey. If you strike gold and catch the cycle right, you run early and have to wait at a timing point.
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Postby tonyp » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:37 am

Merc1107 wrote:We can only dream of true bus prioritisation here in Perth. Excluding the Rockingham busway and the extensive South St/Ranford Rd priority lanes, the major interchanges only get a single phase in (sometimes lengthy) light cycles onto major arterial roads such as South St and Leach Hwy. This can waste several minutes at both the start, and end of the journey. If you strike gold and catch the cycle right, you run early and have to wait at a timing point.

Perth has some of the worst traffic management I've ever seen - and in the Australian context that's really saying something! Still, I'm amazed when catching the 998/999 nearing Fremantle at the end of its epic journey either direction that it's still exactly on time! I also appreciate how the bus timetables can be fairly finely tuned to traffic conditions.
tonyp

Postby Merc1107 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:07 pm

Merc1107 wrote:Still, I'm amazed when catching the 998/999 nearing Fremantle at the end of its epic journey either direction that it's still exactly on time! I also appreciate how the bus timetables can be fairly finely tuned to traffic conditions.
I guess that is a product of the fine-tuning you speak of ;)

One of the biggest hold-ups I've found occur around Murdoch. Eastbound traffic has to wait for the "priority" signal to jump across six lanes of traffic (I'm puzzled as to why no-one thought of an underpass or small bus-way that merged into general traffic). Westbound contends either with South St., or the three sets of brain-dead traffic/pedestrian lights encountered using Barry Marshall Pde (Fiona Stanley Hospital). The pedestrian crossing at FSH should have been an under or overpass, and the placement of the bus-stops in relation to it can create miniature "bus conga lines" during peak periods.

So in reality, I think bad traffic management is just the tip of the iceberg, to me, it is a symptom of a bigger problem, and that's the lousy design of our road network, whether due to cost cutting, favouring cars or otherwise. Take a look at the time, effort and expenditure that went into the Roe & Tonkin Hwy grade separation... With the end product being two sets of traffic lights! :roll:
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion