Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Reo
Favourite Vehicle: Deckers-AEC,Leyland,Albion

Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast

Post by Reo »

Interstate and Intrastate buses have begun arriving on the Gold Coast to help out with the Commonwealth Games. Does anyone know where all these extra buses will be 'housed' during their stay ?
Langleys
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Re: Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast

Post by Langleys »

Reo wrote:Interstate and Intrastate buses have begun arriving on the Gold Coast to help out with the Commonwealth Games. Does anyone know where all these extra buses will be 'housed' during their stay ?
. Ours are at the Yatla depot. Theres a few different depots being used
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

For northern NSW Surfside information see https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/get ... rthern-nsw
Living in the Shire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

I understand that a storage area is being established alongside the tram depot - 'the visiting buses are stabled in the Council Depot next door and in carpark. Noticed one from Sunbury, and one from Ford's'
Last edited by Tonymercury on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Given that it will be school holidays in Queensland, and Surfside for one having a large school bus fleet, surprised that the required extra buses couldn't be sourced locally. But then perhaps, the minimum standards required are a little higher than Sydney had in 2000, when pretty anything with a valid registration seemed to pass muster.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

The company which has the contract for organizing the bus services has very high standards of operation.I think the company is looking for high standard air con,low floors, semi coaches and coaches to work the services.Thats why they have gone further to source the buses.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I understand that Nowra Coaches acquired a fleet of artics for the games - that's in addition to the Volgren ones they bought for Nowra.
Reo
Favourite Vehicle: Deckers-AEC,Leyland,Albion

Post by Reo »

A fleet of Double Deckers would probably be ideal for the task, however I guess that it would have required huge amounts of tree pruning all over the Gold Coast to be able to use them.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Reo wrote:A fleet of Double Deckers would probably be ideal for the task, however I guess that it would have required huge amounts of tree pruning all over the Gold Coast to be able to use them.
Not in terms of moving big crowds over relatively short distances with high turnover. Deckers are far too slow in loading and unloading. You don't need the seating capacity on that sort of job, unless the buses are connecting somewhere distant like Brisbane.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

If used on point-to-point services, they would have little need to use kerb-side lanes.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote:If used on point-to-point services, they would have little need to use kerb-side lanes.
Kerb-side lanes are usually the fastest to drive on in Australia because of Australians' habit of sticking to the right-most lane! :lol:
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Kerb-side lanes are usually the fastest to drive on in Australia because of Australians' habit of sticking to the right-most lane! :lol:
As both a bus user and a car driver, I can attest to this! Since noting how experienced bus drivers often move faster in the left than the right lane, I have used this knowledge when driving my car...
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

krustyklo wrote:
As both a bus user and a car driver, I can attest to this! Since noting how experienced bus drivers often move faster in the left than the right lane, I have used this knowledge when driving my car...
Except on freeway bus services here in Perth... Use the left-most lane and you'll be stuck at well below 100km/h (or less than 80, even). Its a sad state of affairs when buses limited to 87km/h can race past vehicles in the rightmost lane! :shock: :mrgreen:
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

krustyklo wrote:
But the point was that there are less likely to be trees fouling the second lane to impact double deck buses.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Free Lance
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305, m/o 3021

Post by Free Lance »

Using KERB side lane is almost always the best you just have to aware of traffic around you, but as a bus driver that is already a part of the job description
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I posted that nearly a week ago.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Fleet Lists wrote:I posted that nearly a week ago.
A bit like when when I peruse a certain monthly industry publication, often I find myself thinking haven't I read this before? Would normally let this go through to the keeper, but seeing our learned friend decided to address me as 'lazybones' for asking a question http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 3#p1020781 on the basis that something had been reported (when it hadn't), thought I should return serve. 15 all Tony. :D
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Tut, Tut, still upset?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

As long as, either way, the board upholds a motto of "you heard it first on ATDB"!
tonyp

Re: Gold Coast Rapid Transit updates

Post by tonyp »

http://www.news.com.au/sport/commonweal ... f4a1b880b5

I thought buses are "flexible" and can go around each other in a blockage? Well this is the argument we always got from the bus advocates in their various anti-tram campaigns!
1of55

Post by 1of55 »

Buses are MUCH more flexible than trams or trains. When the trams or trains are not running, due to ‘maintenance issues’, guess what, we rely on BUSES to transport people, who would otherwise have to use their cars or stay home. Fortunately we ( in Queensland) have a reliable back up of bus operators and drivers prepared to offer public transport, often at very shot notice.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

I thought buses are "flexible" and can go around each other in a blockage? Well this is the argument we always got from the bus advocates in their various anti-tram campaigns!
Given the article itself stated that buses were able to be moved from one loading point (Surfers Paradise) to a much busier one (Broadbeach South) "within minutes"of identifying the need, this surely would be a counter point that buses are indeed flexible? If a similar problem occurred in Melbourne where more crowds showed up than expected for one route to the Grand Prix (for example), how trivial would it be to move trams from one route to another, say even just from Spencer St to Swanston St?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

My comment was tongue in cheek! The point of difference between the various modes is capacity. In that regard the Australian articulated bus fleet is never large enough.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Doesn't sound like they're doing the capacity bit very well, or is it a combination of that and poor organisation?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-05/c ... es/9620934

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/qld/co ... 8d786ba7ae

Return to “General Transport Discussion”