Busy city pairs

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Roderick Smith

Busy city pairs

Post by Roderick Smith »

Condensed.
Roderick

World's busiest airline flight routes: Melbourne-Sydney now world's second busiest.
...Meanwhile, the statistics for the Sydney - Melbourne corridor could add leverage to the argument that Australia needs a high-speed rail network, taking pressure and driving traffic away from its two biggest airports.
A high speed train could potentially travel from Melbourne to Sydney in three hours and three minutes, or two hours and 44 minutes express.
World's busiest ten air routes: (flights per year):
1.Jeju-Seoul, South Korea: 65 000.
2.Melbourne-Sydney, Australia: 55 000.
3.Mumbai-Delhi, India: 47 000.
4.Fukuoka-Tokyo Haneda, Japan: 43 000.
5.Rio de Janeiro-Sao Paulo Congonhas, Brazil: 39 000.
6.Sapporo-Tokyo, Japan: 38 000.
7.Los Angeles-San Francisco, USA: 35 000.
8.Brisbane-Sydney, Australia: 34 000.
9.Cape Town-Johannesburg, South Africa: 32 000.
10.Beijing-Shanghai, China: 30 000.
World's busiest international air routes...
Based on the largest global routes by total number of flights (arriving and departing) for domestic and international routes for jet operations only. Source: OAG.com.
Jan 8 2018 http://www.traveller.com.au/worlds-busi ... est-h0e7ha
Tim Williams

Re: Busy city pairs

Post by Tim Williams »

High speed trains cost a lot of money and the trains would still not permit day productive return trips for business people - a 3 or 4 hour train journey in each direction leaves very little time to conduct business. During my business career, I undertook quite a number of interstate day trips by planes, that were productive/worthwhile.

So, if we assume a fair proportion of the market for the high speed trains would be friends/family and vacations, then I doubt the numbers would be there.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”