What Bus Is this?

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
brookebackwards

What Bus Is this?

Post by brookebackwards »

Hi I recently purchased the attached bus.

The previous owner told us it was a leyland, but inside it has a badge saying body by denning.

Does anyone know what make and model it is?

It has twin headlights and was very hard to find a leyland with twin headlights.

Thanks
Attachments
resized.jpg
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: What Bus Is this?

Post by boronia »

Leyland made chassis with all the running gear. This is how they would be registered.

Denning made bodies for many chassis types; also made their own chassis for coaches
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

[quote="brookebackwards"]Hi I recently purchased the attached bus.

The previous owner told us it was a leyland, but inside it has a badge saying body by denning.

Does anyone know what make and model it is?

It has twin headlights and was very hard to find a leyland with twin headlights.

Hi brookebackwards.
The body was built by Denning in Adelaide.Thats Port Road Beverley and Pope Street.
I've seen some of these with twin headlights and some with one each side.I added 2 photos showing 2 Adelaide Denning bodied Leylands.
Attachments
Adel-Den2 001 (305 x 227).jpg
Adel-Den2 001 (305 x 227).jpg (18.39 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Adel-Den1 (516 x 295).jpg
Adel-Den1 (516 x 295).jpg (34.2 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

It's a Leyland Leopard with Denning (SA) body that was new to Transway Services in 1973, who latterly traded as Elizabeth Passenger Services. It, and its similar twin, went to the STA in 1975 where is was painted into the silver livery. It sustained some fire damage whilst with the STA and was repaired by Smith of Edwardstown. Here is a Bruce Tilley picture of it when it was brand new:
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Is that another Denning bodied Leyland Leopard behind number 20
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
system improver

Bedford-29 wrote:Is that another Denning bodied Leyland Leopard behind number 20
Yep, the very similar twin to 20, No 14.
brookebackwards

Post by brookebackwards »

system improver wrote:It's a Leyland Leopard with Denning (SA) body that was new to Transway Services in 1973, who latterly traded as Elizabeth Passenger Services. It, and its similar twin, went to the STA in 1975 where is was painted into the silver livery. It sustained some fire damage whilst with the STA and was repaired by Smith of Edwardstown. Here is a Bruce Tilley picture of it when it was brand new:

THAT IMAGE IS MY ACTUAL BUS, SAME NUMBER PLATE RRF 020, MAY I ASK HOW YOU FOUND THAT PHOTO?
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

I actually believe that the second vehicle was 17, and not 14.
17 was a Leopard, registration RRG483. 14 was ex MTT 662, an AEC Regal IV, registered RUN462.

17 and 20 were purchased new, making them reasonably rare in the Elizabeth PS / Transway fleet which heavily purchased MTT cast offs over the years - as well as being the only two Leylands they ran, I believe.

Regards,

Paul
bjg154

Post by bjg154 »

The two units were

(17), chassis 7201276, which after leaving the STA was owned by a procession of NSW and QLD operators.

(20), chassis # unknown to me, which was sold by the STA to Aldinga Beach Passenger Service. It is almost certainly the bus on the trailer.

I suspect they were Denning SA body numbers 5 and 6 but would appreciate confirmation.
system improver

paulgersche wrote:I actually believe that the second vehicle was 17, and not 14.
17 was a Leopard, registration RRG483. 14 was ex MTT 662, an AEC Regal IV, registered RUN462.

17 and 20 were purchased new, making them reasonably rare in the Elizabeth PS / Transway fleet which heavily purchased MTT cast offs over the years - as well as being the only two Leylands they ran, I believe.

Regards,

Paul
Yep, my mistake. Thanks Paul
system improver

brookebackwards wrote:...
THAT IMAGE IS MY ACTUAL BUS, SAME NUMBER PLATE RRF 020, MAY I ASK HOW YOU FOUND THAT PHOTO?
Magic! The other explanation is that there were some bus enthusiasts who were photographing many buses in the 60s and 70s and those photos now form part of the archives of the Bus and Coach Society of Victoria.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”