• Advertisement

30 minute cities

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

30 minute cities

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:47 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... =editorial

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull reveals plan to streamline road and rail transport in cities
March 11, 2016 4:22pm

PRIME Minister Malcolm Turnbull says Australia must work towards developing “30 minute cities”, pursing transport initiatives that allow people to get wherever they need to go within half an hour.

Fresh from revealing plans to fund a high-speed western Sydney rail line, Mr Turnbull said his government would take a “very different approach to cities to that of my predecessors”.

“Firstly, historically, certainly Coalition governments have been very reluctant to fund rail, support rail, (they) prefer to support road,” he told the ABC.

“My government will support transport infrastructure regardless of its mode.

“It depends on what makes most sense. And the reality is it will be a mixture of both (road and rail).”
Turnbull spent time with NSW Premier Mike Baird at a bakery in Parramatta.

Mr Turnbull said commuters should be able to traverse out biggest cities in no more than half an hour.

“If you invest in the good transport infrastructure, then density gives does give greater amenity because there are more things to do, you’re closer to work, you’re closer to university,” he said.

Tony Abbott ignored John Howard’s warnings

“We’ve got to work around the idea of a 30-minute city, where people can get to work, to university to school, to whatever they want to do, to all of the things they want to do, within 30 minutes.”

During an address at Western Sydney University, Mr Turnbull said his government would “no longer discriminate between transport modes”.
Turnbull has found a supporter in former prime minister John Howard, who urged the public to give him a chance.

“Above all we see transport infrastructure not just as a piece of road or rail to get people from A to B, but rather as an integrated investment that creates amenity, value, liveability, affordability and economic growth,” he said.

Mr Turnbull said “affordable housing, good transport, easy access to employment and study, reliable communications, energy and water” were the building blocks of “great cities”.

“Communities here need smart, well designed, walkable density,” he said.

“We should aim to have more people in Western Sydney living in an ever extending zone of the 30 minute city - where people do not have to travel too long to get to work, school or university.”
Turnbull has promised to no longer discriminate between road and rail. Picture: AAP/Dan Himbrechts.

Opposition Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese claimed Mr Turnbull had borrowed Labor’s idea.

“When I was listening to (ABC) 702 this morning I thought that was a little bit familiar and indeed it is,” he said.

“At the National Press Club, way back in 2014, I said this in a launch of our 10-point cities plan: ‘I’m particularly attracted towards consideration of the 30-minute city concept. This is a simple concept that most of people’s day-to-day work, education, shopping or recreational activities should be located within 30 minutes walking, cycling or public commuting from their homes.’
Anthony Albanese has hit out at Malcolm Turnbull’s proposed plan as he suggested the same thing as the National Press Club in 2014. Picture: Gary Ramage.

“I’m glad that Malcolm Turnbull has been paying some attention to what Labor has been saying about cities policy, but this is following, not leading.

“And saying that you want a rail line to Badgerys Creek airport without providing any funding, without providing any clear step forward and without a commitment even that it will be completed in 10 years’ time, is pretty inadequate.”
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: 30 mnute cities

Postby Zidanehartono » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:20 pm

Speaking of 30 Minutes,should be providing high frequency services.

BTW the title is incorrect, it is 30 Minute Cities.
Watch/Subscribe to my Youtube Channel/Videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-M7QInyEuWVWJNmVav1E_w
Zidanehartono

Re: 30 mnute cities

Postby eddy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:17 am

I have been pushing Parrahub for ten years but people think it is a fantasy.

How come when he says it it is not disputed just because he is richer, smarter, younger and better looking :lol:
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search ... hTab=model
eddy

Re: 30 minute cities

Postby lunchbox » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:26 pm

A breath of fresh air and reason from our new Prime Minister. Urged, I might add, by that guru of modern city design, Prof. Peter Newman. Sydney, however, is driven by vested interests. Those interests are primarily interested in personal gain, or making money. Neither goal lends itself to good urban design or greater productivity.
WestConnex, for example, is sixteen thousand million dollars headed in precisely the opposite direction...........
lunchbox

Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Postby simonl » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:58 pm

That would bring things back to the Marchetti constant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marchetti's_constant
simonl

Postby Frosty » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:45 pm

He wishes Malcolm Turnbull
Today I went from Town Hall to Green Square in 25 mins including walk from QVB to Town Hall station and Green Square station to home about a 6 min walk. 2 mins to exit the station.

Perfect example if I need to go to Eastgardens from Green Square using PT good luck getting there in 30 mins.
Meanwhile the other day I travelled from Green Square to Glenfield in 37 mins not bad door to door. Though that can take easily 1 hour.
Frosty

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:41 am

I suppose it really depends on how big you are thinking.

Many people think George street is the city and have never been along the M7

If you want to travel within Wollongong, Lithgow and Gosford the you need 160kph trains from a central hub with limited stops and even then it would take over one hour.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search ... hTab=model
eddy

Postby Frosty » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:34 pm

It would possible to have 160 kph trains its standard in the UK like St Albans, Brighton to London is the same distance as like Wollongong to Central or Central to Wyong. Wollongong is easy in one hour. Wollongong,Thirroul, Helensburgh or Sutherland, Wolli Creek & Central.

Though it would mean killing of important stations such as Epping & Eastwood on the CCN. Blue Mountains would be a challenge due to terrain.

Melbourne is easier due to terrain and corridors. I think Melbourne and V/Line should look to maybe 180kph.
Frosty

Postby krustyklo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:33 pm

I think Melbourne and V/Line should look to maybe 180kph.

When the Regional Fast Rail was being designed, one of the original design options was to go to 200 km/h but was deemed too expensive due to the need to remove all level crossings.

Given there was some discussion of passive design allowing for later upgrade to 200 km/h, it would be interesting to know if that happened, ie, if the Vlocities are capable of 200 km/h and the design of the infrastructure passively allowed for the higher speed.
krustyklo

Postby jarf » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:01 pm

krustyklo wrote:Given there was some discussion of passive design allowing for later upgrade to 200 km/h, it would be interesting to know if that happened, ie, if the Vlocities are capable of 200 km/h and the design of the infrastructure passively allowed for the higher speed.

The Vlocities are certainly capable of higher speeds. They use the same engines as the British class 220, 221 and 222 DMUs which run at 200km/h in service. The transmissions are designed for speeds of up to 220, which is approaching the practical limit for a conventional diesel train.

There's just not really anywhere at the moment to work them harder, given all of the other infrastructure limitations. :wink:
Random Gunzel Insanity - http://jarfness.blogspot.com/
jarf

Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA/Volgren CR228L

Postby eddy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:35 am

Frosty wrote:It would possible to have 160 kph trains its standard in the UK like St Albans, Brighton to London is the same distance as like Wollongong to Central or Central to Wyong. Wollongong is easy in one hour. Wollongong,Thirroul, Helensburgh or Sutherland, Wolli Creek & Central.

Though it would mean killing of important stations such as Epping & Eastwood on the CCN. Blue Mountains would be a challenge due to terrain.

Melbourne is easier due to terrain and corridors. I think Melbourne and V/Line should look to maybe 180kph.

I was actually thinking one hour Wollongong to Gosford with dead straight new lines mainly in tunnels or Wollongong to Lithgow the same.
eddy

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion