Leyland Worldmaster Repower options

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
shark bus

Leyland Worldmaster Repower options

Post by shark bus »

Hi all,

My 0.600 powered Leyland Royal Tiger Worldmaster is beginning to use a lot of oil and smoke under load.

As the 600 is a little underpowered and slows up on the hills I am thinking this may be a good opportunity for a repower.

I have a donor bus with what seems to be a good 680, though I am being advised a TL11 will be an easy fit and a better choice.

Any advice on the pros and cons of the 680 vs TL11?

Are there any other low budget, easy fitting options out there, Volvo, Isuzu etc?

Ultimately I would like a relatively easy and cheap repower with reliability, economy and a bit of grunt up the hills.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Cheers,
Paul
KBS

Re: Leyland Worldmaster Repower options

Post by KBS »

I have a Mercedes 0305 engine or a m.a n. Sl202 engine for sale both in very good condition Geoff. 0408974414
shark bus

Post by shark bus »

KBS wrote:I have a Mercedes 0305 engine or a m.a n. Sl202 engine for sale both in very good condition Geoff. 0408974414
Thanks Geoff,

I have no idea whether either of those are an easy fit or good choice for the Worldmaster.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

It would be unusual for a Worldmaster to have an O600. I thought the 680 was standard in these?

The viability of repowering could well be dependant on the diff fitted.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

boronia wrote:It would be unusual for a Worldmaster to have an O600. I thought the 680 was standard in these?

The viability of repowering could well be dependant on the diff fitted.
I'm pretty sure most, if not all, Worldmasters came with the 600.

The 680 came out in the late 1960s with the Leopard (some early Leopards had 600s), and the TL11 came out in the 1980s with the Tiger.

I would say the 600 was a midmount that laid on its side, as was the 680 and the TL11.

Many have said that the TL11 is essentially a turbocharged 680.

Perhaps a 10 litre Volvo turbocharged engine might be suitable. They are normally midmounts that also lay on their side.

Please don't undertake this project on my say so ... (as they say) ... always seek advice from a professional.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

All the Adelaide Worldmaster from the late fifties had the 0680 engine. It's the better option.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Sydney's Worldmasters were also O680s.

The Leopard engines may have been more powerful versions, as I recall reading that some WMs were fitted with 'Leopard engines" later in their lives.
@ The Museum of Fire.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

All MTT Perth Worldmasters were specified with the 600 engine, owing to the overwhelmingly flat topography of their original operating area.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

KBS wrote:I have a Mercedes 0305 engine or a m.a n. Sl202 engine for sale both in very good condition Geoff. 0408974414
That would be a first, seeing one of them in a Worly or leopard!!
I suspect you would have to transplant the engine and autobox as a package as I have never known an OM407 h or D2566UH to be combined with a semi auto. I think the torque and power would do damage to a Wilson over time, but would sure be an interesting experiment.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Moore's managed to fit a GM engine in one of theirs, so a Merc engine should be doable. It is just a cost vs benefit exercise.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

shark bus wrote:.

A mechanic from Koala Koaches told me 10 years ago that the TL 11s in their Leyland Tigers had worse oil leak problems than the 760 motors in their ex Adelaide AEC Swifts!
If you have a 680 already, would look at fitting that in. It would preserve the character of your bus best as well as keeping it pure British. :!:
I used to marvel at the performance of North & Western's Tigers with their 245hp version of the TL11. Some buses had the derated 215hp version.
But you also have to consider the diff ratio (top speed) of your bus. The N&W buses could do well over 100 km/h, so the power could be exploited in each gear, but with a diff that only allows a bus to max out at 60km/h or even less in some cases (Sydney Worldmaster), I think it would be a waste of time having such abundant power in combination with such short gearing.
An 0680 will give ample performance.
shark bus

Post by shark bus »

Swift wrote:
shark bus wrote:.

A mechanic from Koala Koaches told me 10 years ago that the TL 11s in their Leyland Tigers had worse oil leak problems than the 760 motors in their ex Adelaide AEC Swifts!
If you have a 680 already, would look at fitting that in. It would preserve the character of your bus best as well as keeping it pure British. :!:
I used to marvel at the performance of North & Western's Tigers with their 245hp version of the TL11. Some buses had the derated 215hp version.
But you also have to consider the diff ratio (top speed) of your bus. The N&W buses could do well over 100 km/h, so the power could be exploited in each gear, but with a diff that only allows a bus to max out at 60km/h or even less in some cases (Sydney Worldmaster), I think it would be a waste of time having such abundant power in combination with such short gearing.
An 0680 will give ample performance.
I am looking at installing an Eaton Type 4 2 speed diff give me a higher ratio for the highway
k1r1sh

Post by k1r1sh »

I have a 1960 Leyland World master and I have just put a TL11 into it. Not a cheap option. Has cost me $20,000.00 plus the price of the engine to have it installed.
k1r1sh

Post by k1r1sh »

I have a 680 for sale for $1100.00 if anyone is interested
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Dick White bus sales Alstonville a few years back had a Leyland OPD half cab fitted with a Volvo engine if they can fit that engine into a half cab DD a Volvo engine out of a B10M might able to be shoehorned into your Worldmaster.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Swift

Post by Swift »

Bedford-29 wrote: Volvo engine out of a B10M might able to be shoehorned into your Worldmaster.
They are known for being very flat and compact.
Desto Dave
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Worldmaster, Tigers.

Post by Desto Dave »

K1r1sh, would love to see and hear your Worldmaster with a TL11 in it, any chance of making a video of her please and post on here? How does it perform now and did you do anything else, like change the gearbox or diff?
shark bus

Post by shark bus »

k1r1sh wrote:I have a 1960 Leyland World master and I have just put a TL11 into it. Not a cheap option. Has cost me $20,000.00 plus the price of the engine to have it installed.

Wow! How does it run?

Would you mind sharing a few details of the process, what gearbox and diff you are running and the results?

Would love to see some pics or check it out in person if you are in Sydney.
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Where did you get to, sharkbus?
shark bus

Post by shark bus »

mrobsessed wrote:Where did you get to, sharkbus?
The long story.. Job not yet done, due to time and a myriad of choices.

Option one.
It looks like the problems with my 600 are fuel system related, possibly just need to overhaul the injectors. This would hopefully reduce the smokiness and poor performance to a degree.

Option two.
I have been offered a 680 which has recently had the heads rebuilt for a good price, though I will need to find someone to freight the motor from Victoria to NSW.

Option three.
I have found a Tiger motorhome project as a TL11 donor and licencing WA will issue a permit to do the upgrade.
Problem number one is I am currently on the east coast and will have to drive back to WA for final inspection (not sure if my insurance will cover me while driving an uninspected modified bus).
Problem two is I have also been informed rebuilds on TL11 injector pumps can be over $15,000!!!!, frankly that makes me nervous.

Too many choices! ..would appreciate any input :)
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Give "The Diesel Guy" a call. If anyone can help you, Al can.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

With Tiger motor home project if its driveable get a unregistered vehicle permit to bring it home.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15

Return to “General Transport Discussion”