• Advertisement

Semi Trailer-Double Deck bus.

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Semi Trailer-Double Deck bus.

Postby Denv12 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:53 pm

I found this photo.,Thought it might be of interest.A semi trailer-double deck bus.
Attachments
CAM01277 (676 x 507).jpg
CAM01277 (676 x 507).jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 4535 times
Denv12

Re: Semi Trailer-Double Deck bus.

Postby boronia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:24 pm

These were once quite popular in India and other parts of the sub-continent
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Denv12 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm

boronia wrote:These were once quite popular in India and other parts of the sub-continent

They look like they were a decent idea.Having the Mercedes prime mover would be a bonus for reliability.
Denv12

Postby 1whoknows » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Probably a TATA ripoff rather than a genuine MB though.
Cats are best.
1whoknows

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:23 am

That's not a bus. this is a bus https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... 1a12669bb7 :D

922 views and 60 downloads so I suspect somewhere in the world someone is thinking about building it and after it is proven successful in a third world country we will buy them "off the shelf"
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search ... hTab=model
eddy

Postby Wolseley » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:33 am

Last edited by Wolseley on Wed May 13, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolseley

Postby Denv12 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:37 am

Wolseley wrote:
eddy wrote:That's not a bus. this is a bus https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... 1a12669bb7 :D

"Limited to 50 kph"? Sounds like they're going to hold up a lot of traffic.

You would think they change the rules to design them with safety standards so they can travel on all roads at similar sppeds to their freight carrying counterparts.
Denv12

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 am

Wolseley
They would only be used in 50kph areas like George street in place of expensive trams at about $500,000 each including a low powered single axle prime mover.

So cheap they could run one a minute for the interest on installing trams.

Denv12
They will not change the rules for 50kph so I doubt that they would for anything faster and semis do have a bit of a bad history of jacknifing.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search ... hTab=model
eddy

Postby Wolseley » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 am

Last edited by Wolseley on Wed May 13, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolseley

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 am

Wolseley wrote:
eddy wrote:That's not a bus. this is a bus https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... 1a12669bb7 :D

The main advantage with this sort of arrangement would be that the vehicle could be used as either a prime mover or a bus. For this to be of much use, the company operating the bus would also have to operate a fleet of trucks as well. There were certainly a number of companies that used these types of buses in the past (a rather hazy childhood memory tells me that Arthur H Gillott, who operated the St Ives Bus Services had one, but I could be wrong), but I don't think that you would find, outside any rural centres, companies handling both heavy freight and bus services nowadays.

The proposed bus trailer would, I think, not find any takers within Australia. Would it not be simpler just to use a bus?

Personally I believe the main advantage would be that the trailer could be substantially built to last 30 years with just a new prime whacked under it every ten.

Horses for courses, yes a conventional bus would be much simpler for conventional routes, but where you have extremely heavy loads you need many wheels to take them.
eddy

Postby northbritish » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:22 am

This type of bus would need a conductor for safety reasons thus doubling the labour cost of running it. This would negate any other savings gained. So it would not appeal to operators.
northbritish

Postby santob » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:16 am

1 minute intervals? how do you propose to load and unload all the passengers and extras in such short intervals?
santob

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:54 pm

northbritish
I cannot see a problem, people would stand behind the line like when a train comes in and stand clear of the ramp as it is closed just like when train doors give a warning.
If you wanted to be extra safe there could be cameras, sensors or even have a LH drive prime mover.

santob
If for example there are half a dozen at the layby end one would leave one minute after the one in front so there would be always one in sight no matter how long they took to load which I guess would only be about one minute anyway with no tickets and the whole side to enter/exit.

However buses would not overtake so if a driver sees another bus right behind him he would skip the next stop unless someone had pressed the buzzer to get off.

The whole idea is to have a very quick trip by skipping many stops while still allowing the stops to be no further than 400m apart.
eddy

Postby Denv12 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:49 am

eddy wrote:northbritish
I cannot see a problem, people would stand behind the line like when a train comes in and stand clear of the ramp as it is closed just like when train doors give a warning.
If you wanted to be extra safe there could be cameras, sensors or even have a LH drive prime mover.

santob
If for example there are half a dozen at the layby end one would leave one minute after the one in front so there would be always one in sight no matter how long they took to load which I guess would only be about one minute anyway with no tickets and the whole side to enter/exit.

However buses would not overtake so if a driver sees another bus right behind him he would skip the next stop unless someone had pressed the buzzer to get off.

The whole idea is to have a very quick trip by skipping many stops while still allowing the stops to be no further than 400m apart.

These would be idea for limited stops service runs like the Transit links between Adelaide,Modbury to Golden Grove Shopping village.They were great services but limited stops which got there quicker.Not that you'd use them on the obahn.
Denv12

Postby Bedford-29 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:03 am

I rather have Ashok Leyland Comet semi trailer DD in the picture its more retro.(BEST) Bombay certainly had interesting buses in there fleet.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Bedford-29

Postby eddy » Thu May 01, 2014 7:48 am

Denv12
The big problem I have with limited stops is that there are always passengers who want to get on or off between them and I much prefer close stops with buses only stopping where needed.
In actual fact because I live near wide roads, old people and great bus drivers they just stop outside a lot of peoples houses and they all know each other's names with the regular drivers.

Bedford-29
I love that idea but you would have to mix them in with a few trailer buses that could take wheelchairs, bikes, electric scooters and big strollers.

Often I have thought it would be win win to have old buses doing the 555 in George street as it would save a lot from the scrap heap and tourists would come from all over the world to have a ride in them particularly as the safety standards are not as important at 50kph.
eddy

Postby lunchbox » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:46 pm

I wonder what's in that large "unwindowed" area over the turntable?
lunchbox

Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Postby boronia » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:29 pm

Wouldn't be much room for anything. There is the top deck floor above, and the subframe for the coupling below.

But no doubt the Indians would find some way of utilising it.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby OLYMPIAN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Is that India?
Detroit 6VT92/ZF 4HP500...the best bendi bus power train!
OLYMPIAN

Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Victory Mk2, Olympian

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion