• Advertisement

Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interested?

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interested?

Postby Denv12 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:02 am

I started a post on Athol Hedges to Austral Denning.Its very positive.There are many replies,photos,etc.
I think the potential for a book dedicated to the topic should be considered.If there is an author out there looking for a book topic to publish it seems this topic is something worth considering.I would personally like to buy such a book of the history of these companies in 1 book.Its a big story that needs to be/deserves to be told.I think if we all contribute to various information,photos,Truck & Bus adverts,documents,etc we could provide the ideal resources if someone wanted to write the book.

So,would you like to buy the book if it was published?

Here's the link to the Denning-McKinnon "Dennmack" post.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76588

If there's enough interest then it might get published.Your positive feedback here would be greatly appreciated.And,what could you contribute to such a book?

The history, should it include the following?:
A.B.Denning
Denning McKinnon "Dennmack",
Athol Hedges
Domino-Denning
Domino Industries including the link with Neoplan.(I think they were at one time the Australian agents,around early 1980s.Then Charioteer took over.)
Austral Transport( including the arrangement between Kassbohrer and Austral for the license to build the double deck.)
Austral-Denning
It should include all buses,coaches,etc made by those respective companies.

Here's my post on the Athol Hedges to Austral Denning:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=76508
Last edited by Denv12 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Denv12
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby Centralian » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:55 am

I would probably buy such a book, but I just wonder if it would be a seller. I would suggest a more general book on bus body builders of Australia - or you could do a series by State eg. Queensland (the ones you mention, plus GBW, Northcoast, Watts, Coach Design, Coach Concepts, the operator bodies, MBS, Superior, Rogers etc); NSW (Syd Wood, Properts, Comeng, gets messy with PMC and it's interstate operations, Nambucca, Grice, P&D, CCMC, Smithfield, etc, etc), Victoria, probably combine SA and WA. All depends on what information is available to the author. Even just a photographic study of the evolution of the bus and coach designs in Australia. I have a lovely photo in my collection of an old derelict Cobb & Co coach (the original 1800's company) lying rotting away in a paddock, just like the more recent old buses we still find. You could go way back - Cobb & Co built their own coaches. I would be very interested in just the history of the body builders and how they evolved, merged etc. Bits and pieces have been written over the years in the various Society publications, or discussed on here - would be good to bring all that information together into one reference source.
User avatar
Centralian
 
Posts: 2096
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 301 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby Denv12 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:39 am

Centralian wrote:I would probably buy such a book, but I just wonder if it would be a seller. I would suggest a more general book on bus body builders of Australia - or you could do a series by State eg. Queensland (the ones you mention, plus GBW, Northcoast, Watts, Coach Design, Coach Concepts, the operator bodies, MBS, Superior, Rogers etc); NSW (Syd Wood, Properts, Comeng, gets messy with PMC and it's interstate operations, Nambucca, Grice, P&D, CCMC, Smithfield, etc, etc), Victoria, probably combine SA and WA. All depends on what information is available to the author. Even just a photographic study of the evolution of the bus and coach designs in Australia. I have a lovely photo in my collection of an old derelict Cobb & Co coach (the original 1800's company) lying rotting away in a paddock, just like the more recent old buses we still find. You could go way back - Cobb & Co built their own coaches. I would be very interested in just the history of the body builders and how they evolved, merged etc. Bits and pieces have been written over the years in the various Society publications, or discussed on here - would be good to bring all that information together into one reference source.


I would gladly by a book even if it covered every bus and coach builder in Australia.A chapter covering each state and a respective section for each state's builders.Thats one suggestion.
Denv12
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby Looselion » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:47 am

I agree with Centralian's suggestion, although the research towards such a comprehensive history would be a mind-boggler.....
I'd certainly buy such a book.
Many thanks to Denv12 for raising the concept.
User avatar
Looselion
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:54 am
Location: Queensland
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 91 times
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby Maladjusted » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:50 am

I also would love to read a compilation of all these innovative people and what motivated them to start and run a business supplying vehicles.

From what i see everyone wants to read one, however not many people are likely to take on the task of putting it all together, as it takes a lot to put pen to paper or fingers to computer.

There have been many individual narratives done over the years and perhaps it could become a collaborative effort, much like this discussion board.

Would it be better to have a printed book or an EBook?
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
Maladjusted
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby Denv12 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:13 am

Maladjusted wrote:I also would love to read a compilation of all these innovative people and what motivated them to start and run a business supplying vehicles.

From what i see everyone wants to read one, however not many people are likely to take on the task of putting it all together, as it takes a lot to put pen to paper or fingers to computer.

There have been many individual narratives done over the years and perhaps it could become a collaborative effort, much like this discussion board.

Would it be better to have a printed book or an EBook?



I think the printed book for the sake of keeping it as a collectible.I think a collaborative effort might be the go.I just hope there's enough interest that starts here and once the rest of the enthusiasts and bus industry hear about it then the demand will be obvious.The main thing is,it starts here as an idea and then everyone can spread the word.
Denv12
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby pauwri » Fri May 30, 2014 4:16 pm

I have Athol Hedges First rear engined coach sitting in my shed. She was in a truck and bus feature artical in 1962.
Attachments
Copy of 25.jpg
Kirklands No 25
pauwri
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby Denv12 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:45 pm

pauwri wrote:I have Athol Hedges First rear engined coach sitting in my shed. She was in a truck and bus feature artical in 1962.


Love the photo.Can you post a new specific topic on this coach? I'd love to see the response.It would generate some interest.
Denv12
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm
Has thanked: 552 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby bjg154 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi Paul

Great photo - is it ex Kirklands (25)?

Fantastic to learn it is being preserved - that makes seven from the fleet in preservation to my knowledge.
bjg154
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:09 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby pauwri » Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Yes it was exKirklands 25 the second pusher they had built. No 24 had a CCMC body.
It is 100% complete, I even have the original coach seats. Not in good condition but I have them.
I have had her for over 25 years , 20 of those parked in the shed.
pauwri
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby boronia » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi Denv12

I am doing some research into the involvement of Hedges and Domino in fire engine production. esp the units they produced on Ford R192 chassis with bus cabs.

Would you be able to contact me off line, you don't seem to have PM activated.

Thanks
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 16648
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 1469 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby CCCC » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 am

pauwri wrote:I have Athol Hedges First rear engined coach sitting in my shed. She was in a truck and bus feature artical in 1962.



Any update on this , still have it , any further with restoration/preservation , any more pic's
CCCC
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: vaucluse
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 55 times
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby lunchbox » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:21 am

I agree it's a great pic - lots of Flxible Clipper features evident....:-)
lunchbox
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:50 pm
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 109 times
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Re: Athol Hedges to Austral-Denning:The Book.Are you Interes

Postby stuartdbell » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:36 pm

I'd buy a copy if it was well illustrated. Generally very little known about Dennings in the UK and apart from Facebook contacts, no way of discovering more. I started writing an article about Denning after my visits to Oz started in 2004 but I couldn't find enough detailed information so the project was shelved. I still seek out Dennings on every trip.
stuartdbell
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:47 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time



  • Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests