• Advertisement

Sunliner Express

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Re: Sunliner Express

Postby dominodc122 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Nice shot Craig - They were a breeze to drive and handled well both loaded and empty.

Cheers mate! :D
dominodc122

Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Postby CJT » Sat May 26, 2012 8:47 pm

The Scania, whilst not my favourite coach... were good to drive and extremely good on fuel... comfortable for the pax as well. Sunliner was a very well run company with good equipment and good staff, it was a sad day when they closed. And for what its worth... I actually like the Neoplan look!!! :D

About 10 / 12 years ago, I came across two ex Sunliner Neoplans (then painted in Bayside Buslines green colours) for sale in a campervan yard, on the Gold Coast Highway near Logan. They wanted $45,000, each for them. Unfortunately, they had rusted out by then and were leaking badly (it was a very wet day) the salesman told me they were in excellant condition and the only reason the floor was covered in water, was that someone had left the roof hatch open!!!, I think not! :lol: :lol: :roll: needless to say I didn't buy them.
CJT

Favourite Vehicle: Merc 0303 & Silver Eagle

Sunliner Express

Postby mrobsessed » Sat May 26, 2012 11:31 pm

I saw a Neoplan in WA as a motorhome a few years ago. Unmistakable.
mrobsessed

Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Postby CJT » Sun May 27, 2012 6:32 pm

An operator out in the Surat Basin area of Queensland had a Neoplan coach for a while. I think it may of been McGuire's Coaches?, I remember seeing it in Hervey Bay a few years ago doing a school camping charter. It was very neat and tidy and still looked good. Didn't have a camera with me that day unfortunately.
CJT

Postby User7526 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:57 pm

bootman wrote:To my memory... sunliner never had a dd painted in their colours and everyone seem to forget the head on with a car that burst into flames.... the driver rescued all pass.When i wrote about the taco's i meant data loggers and speed limiters which sunliner refused to install. I was a mechanic for VIP and to my knowledge the agreement with sunliner was queensland only until VIP was sold....sunliner did not last that long........But sunliner is not totally dead....yet

If my memory is correct, the driver that was hailed a hero for rescuing all of the passengers and luggage ended up meeting a coach at a changeover point sometime within 6 months later under the influence of alcohol. Everyone in the industry at the time was talking about it, the crash and fire stressed him out so much and he got on the grog as a result. It was a real shame to hear and still is.

Peta.
User7526

Postby CJT » Sun May 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Your 100% right Peta, I knew the driver in question, prior to this incident he was a very popular man with both passengers and fellow drivers, and he was nearing his retirement when all this happened... a terrible way to end his working days. In saying that it wasn't good for the passengers he had just picked up in Nambucca Heads either.
CJT

Postby dominodc122 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:44 am

No such thing as councilling back then - you just had to "tough it" out. I always wondered what happened to our driver involved in the Cowper crash. I know he was in a bad way from injuries, but the fact of seeing a prime mover heading straight toward you, with nothing you can do but shout a warning to the pax and then leaping into the stair well to save yourself must have left huge emotional scars and probable depression issues - Does anyone remember the chaps name at all?
dominodc122

Postby dominodc122 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Cheers for the update re these two drivers CJT and yes your point was well taken regarding this! :wink:
dominodc122

Postby davidquentinorf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:29 am

Did the accident inspection ever take that into consideration and review the McCaffs drivers roster for rest breaks versus log book entries?
davidquentinorf

Postby dominodc122 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 am

davidquentinorf wrote:Did the accident inspection ever take that into consideration and review the McCaffs drivers roster for rest breaks versus log book entries?

i very much doubt it...we had "log books' that were supposed to "cover" this aspect ...I remember seeing a driver of another company lying in the coach luggage bin at Coff's one night asleep after extracting some luggage - I roused him and asked if he was ok, he explained that this was his 5th day straight doing overnighters and that he was told no one was available to cover for him due to driver shortage - I took him to a snack bar and got him a coffee and he slept while they made it!!!? :shock: ... he ended up an hour late (as did I, as I lead him home to Brisbane ...carrying his pax as I was light (ended up with the coach full...told the pax the other coach had a "technical fault"...so none the wiser...we pulled off at Annerley and changed the pax back over in a suburban street ...told them the driver had" found the problem"...)I have a couple of stories of my own relating to fatigue and threats of dismissal if the schedule was not kept - yes ...there were some companies that were prize arseholes, but thankfully few and far between)
Last edited by dominodc122 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dominodc122

Postby fm2790. » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:43 am

Peta mechanic wrote:
bootman wrote:To my memory... sunliner never had a dd painted in their colours and everyone seem to forget the head on with a car that burst into flames.... the driver rescued all pass.When i wrote about the taco's i meant data loggers and speed limiters which sunliner refused to install. I was a mechanic for VIP and to my knowledge the agreement with sunliner was queensland only until VIP was sold....sunliner did not last that long........But sunliner is not totally dead....yet

If my memory is correct, the driver that was hailed a hero for rescuing all of the passengers and luggage ended up meeting a coach at a changeover point sometime within 6 months later under the influence of alcohol. Everyone in the industry at the time was talking about it, the crash and fire stressed him out so much and he got on the grog as a result. It was a real shame to hear and still is.

Peta.

That wouldn't have been a Greyhound Pioneer coach Brisbane bound would it Peta?
fm2790.

Postby User7526 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:13 am

Quote fm2790 "That wouldn't have been a Greyhound Pioneer coach Brisbane bound would it Peta?"

No mate, as we were saying in the text it was all about Sunliner vehicles and drivers.

Peta.
User7526

Postby rodd.hood » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:49 pm

The 2 Denning coaches involved in the Kempsey disaster were not rebuilt.They were scrapped as the authorities would not allow us at Denning to rebuild them due to the sensitivity of this major accident.The Vin no's were listed not to be used again.
rodd.hood

Postby BBL 10 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:19 pm

CJT wrote:The Scania, whilst not my favourite coach... were good to drive and extremely good on fuel... comfortable for the pax as well. Sunliner was a very well run company with good equipment and good staff, it was a sad day when they closed. And for what its worth... I actually like the Neoplan look!!! :D

About 10 / 12 years ago, I came across two ex Sunliner Neoplans (then painted in Bayside Buslines green colours) for sale in a campervan yard, on the Gold Coast Highway near Logan. They wanted $45,000, each for them. Unfortunately, they had rusted out by then and were leaking badly (it was a very wet day) the salesman told me they were in excellant condition and the only reason the floor was covered in water, was that someone had left the roof hatch open!!!, I think not! :lol: :lol: :roll: needless to say I didn't buy them.

I know the place your talking about that had those two Neoplans for sale. The local bus service I was working for sold a Domino bodied Hino to him cheap for him to resell. I went to this fellows yard and saw these two coaches along with a ex BCC Leyland Panther which had tunrned up from Sugar Valley, the guts of it had been stripped out and he wanted over 10k for it. The Hino we sold him was three times the price and the Neoplans were around 50k from memory which was too high considering how run down they were. (what a rogue dealer this bloke was)

One of these Scanias turned up at a property in Woodridge being converted to a motorhome and when finished it was a palace on wheels it looked really good but it had a hell of a lot work done to it. The coach is still there to this day and is kept looking well maintained. Its the only Neoplan/Scania that I know of in Brisbane.
CAT DIESEL POWER
BBL 10

Favourite Vehicle: MCA/CAT 3208T

Postby fm2790. » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 pm

rodd.hood wrote:The 2 Denning coaches involved in the Kempsey disaster were not rebuilt.They were scrapped as the authorities would not allow us at Denning to rebuild them due to the sensitivity of this major accident.The Vin no's were listed not to be used again.

We are hearing conflicting reports oothe Kempsey bus accident. You are saying that the coaches involved were not rebuilted. How come there people saying one of them lasted another 14 or years before it was completely scrapped after the second accident in QLD. Please explain!!!!!
fm2790.

Postby 1whoknows » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:08 am

The VIN plate off one of them was certainly reused however my belief is that it was applied to an older Denning in order to boost that coach's longevity.
Cats are best.
1whoknows

Postby HiHo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Re Kempsey disaster V.I.P. was not involved.The Neoplans were imported for Max Holman 5 went to V.I.P. and the 6th went to a company in Melbourne i cant remember there name.After V.I.P. went out i got one of them and when i went i dont know what happened to mine i beleive it ended up in N.Z.Sunliner never had any of them.
HiHO
HiHo

Favourite Vehicle: Mk iv Merc.

Postby DENAIR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 pm

the 6th Neoplan went to Landmark Tours / Hurstbridge Coaches and operated express for Sunliner and budget express operator Inter - Capital Express
cheers petekane 8)

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-6546
DENAIR

Favourite Vehicle: DENNING DENAIR

Postby Fleet Lists » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Does anyone know what its rego was?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby sydfox22 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:13 pm

i was visiting denning at the time they were being rebuilt. They scrapped the bodys and just kept most of the running gear that could be salvaged and was then used on the new chassis which i guess would have a new vin number as well.
sydfox22

Favourite Vehicle: landseer

Postby Ben O » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:53 pm

HiHo wrote:Re Kempsey disaster V.I.P. was not involved.The Neoplans were imported for Max Holman 5 went to V.I.P. and the 6th went to a company in Melbourne i cant remember there name.After V.I.P. went out i got one of them and when i went i dont know what happened to mine i beleive it ended up in N.Z.Sunliner never had any of them.

Your one, TV 955 at ABC Coachlines, had an interesting history. After ABC, it went to the following operators:-
- Kristin Coaches, Gordon TV 249 via Auction 19/6/89
- Westons Coachlines, Denistone TV 249
- King's Bus Service Pty Ltd, Kempsey TV 249
- Shane Lyons, Lightning Ridge TV 249, rereg MO 4069
- North West Coaches (Graeme A Waller Pty Ltd), Lightning Ridge Mo 406 7/00
- North West Coaches (Benzmax Pty Ltd), Lightning Ridge MO 4069 9/01
- Tara Coaches (Coleman), Tara, QLD 574 HWH. Sitting withdrawn in 2011.

Ben
Ben O

Postby HiHo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks Ben Ive been wondering what happened to it as i said in the post someone told me it went to NZ>
HiHO
HiHo

Favourite Vehicle: Mk iv Merc.

Postby dominodc122 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:15 am

"One of these Scanias turned up at a property in Woodridge being converted to a motorhome and when finished it was a palace on wheels it looked really good but it had a hell of a lot work done to it. The coach is still there to this day and is kept looking well maintained. Its the only Neoplan/Scania that I know of in Brisbane."

QAny chance of some photo's of this Neoplan conversion?? :) Regards Chris
dominodc122

Postby greenie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:53 pm

And where about's in WOODRIDGE, would that just happen to be ?
greenie

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion