Victoria Buses with SA rego

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
gbc
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA MAN SL200

Victoria Buses with SA rego

Post by gbc »

I came across this website below and it has a photo of a Iveco Volgren CR228L bodied bus for Driver with SA rego plates. I looked at the fleetlist and some more have SA rego too. Were they intended for use in SA but never got here or did they run for a company in SA before going back to Victoria?

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1252014 ... 8768zqpWRa
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Re: Victoria Buses with SA rego

Post by Ken »

gbc wrote:Were they intended for use in SA but never got here or did they run for a company in SA before going back to Victoria?
None of those reasons.

Driver and certain other companies from a number of states choose to first register their buses in South Australia due to it being cheaper to do so. When the rego is due for renewal they transfer the registration into their own state. One of the anomalies of having state-based registration authorities with different rules and costs.
jb17kx
Favourite Vehicle: Irisbus Agoraline

Re: Victoria Buses with SA rego

Post by jb17kx »

Ken wrote:
gbc wrote:Were they intended for use in SA but never got here or did they run for a company in SA before going back to Victoria?
other companies from a number of states choose to first register their buses in South Australia due to it being cheaper to do so. When the rego is due for renewal they transfer the registration into their own state. One of the anomalies of having state-based registration authorities with different rules and costs.
Transborder Express is another company that did this quite frequently - they actually set up a holding company in Adelaide with SA accreditation and had the buses registered there (if I recall they did this first with a batch of buses built by CC SA to lower costs even further), before registering the buses in Canberra on ACT accreditation later on...
Selected artistic and gunzel photos from my collection - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb17kx
Nexas

Post by Nexas »

What is the difference in pricing between South Australia and Victoria?
Views expressed by me are strictly my own, not of my friends, employer, or anyone else.
member 1423

Post by member 1423 »

Nexas wrote:What is the difference in pricing between South Australia and Victoria?
I thought QLD was the cheapest? At least thats what my old old man said when he transferred his rego from NSW to QLD
LowRider
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA MAN SL200

Post by LowRider »

SA's pricing is about dead on with QLD. At least for cars, but it isn't uncommon to see lots of commercial vehicles interstate with SA Rego. SA also doesn't have Roadworthy Certificate requirements, so that would help.
Terrorising the Streets in an SL200!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

All the coaches Murrays bought from PMC-SA in the 90s came with SA rego, which stayed on for 6 to 12 months then went over to local plates. Even their later Autobus Scanias built in Qld came with SA rego.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Toot

Post by Toot »

From what I am led to believe, there is no stamp duty on the registration of a new bus in South Australia.

That is why a bus will have SA plates only for its first few months, then get its proper ones.
Highway Traveller

Post by Highway Traveller »

You also have to be registered as a company in SA to get your vehicle registered on SA plates.
The curse of all Coach Captains is the dreaded ARB's. (see if you can work out what ARB stands for)
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

There are a couple of accounting offices in Adelaide which are the registered offices for companies who take advantage of this option.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”