[SMH] Photography Is Not A Crime

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
invada1

[SMH] Photography Is Not A Crime

Post by invada1 »

Some time last year a discussion was raise as to taking photo's which could get you into trouble.

Here is a most interesting article from SMH regarding taking photo's especially in public places, and of children. It includes a few good links especially to laws and rights.

Ray
Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50375989@N00/
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Post by kitkat271 »

Where's the link?
invada1

Post by invada1 »

Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

invada1

Post by invada1 »

kitkat271 wrote:Where's the link?
permanently I hope not unless you have retired

Trolley Bus Racer
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58M Trolley Bus

Post by Trolley Bus Racer »

So can i take photos in the city loop?
Stagecoach Wellington Crew
Tranz Metro Crew

Now In The Eastern Islands Of Australia!
invada1

Post by invada1 »

Trolley_bus_racer wrote:So can i take photos in the city loop?
Only if you don't get caught whilest diving :shock: :lol:

Trolley Bus Racer
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58M Trolley Bus

Post by Trolley Bus Racer »

Only if you don't get caught whilest diving
its been a long day i dont understand... a simple yes or no would of been good
Stagecoach Wellington Crew
Tranz Metro Crew

Now In The Eastern Islands Of Australia!
jarf
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA/Volgren CR228L

Post by jarf »

There is actually nothing illegal about taking photos in the City Loop, however flash photography could present a hazard in a dark environment. :wink:
Random Gunzel Insanity - http://jarfness.blogspot.com/
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

I was told by a bus driver today that "due to the privacy act", that it is illegal to take photos of buses that have a driver in them.

Is there any such regulation? Sounds ridiculous, and I've never heard of it :roll: :?: :evil:
R-C

Post by R-C »

Just take the desired photo and edit the head out or blur it if posting online.
That is unless the driver has specifically requested the photo of the bus not be taken at all!
B7RLE
Favourite Vehicle: VOLVO B7RLE

Post by B7RLE »

i have given you my solution on msn and wont repeat it here another sulution is blur out there faces bus most driver want my website adress to show there familys what they drive
Proud Owner of a Volvo B10M mk 2 Volgren and a Scania L113CRB Volgren
Wrong Way - Go Back

Post by Wrong Way - Go Back »

SomeRobot wrote:Is there any such regulation?
NO
SomeRobot wrote:Sounds ridiculous
YES, IT IS
ACTION_MAN

Post by ACTION_MAN »

There's an interesting article in today's Sunday Telegraph entitled "Tackling camera pervits." Can't find the article on their website though sorry.

Here's an excerpt:
Attonery-General Phillip Ruddock said uniform laws were needed to protect women and children at beaches, on public transport and at sporting events.
-- actbus.net/forum --
Wrong Way - Go Back

Post by Wrong Way - Go Back »

The statement refers to taking photos ON public transport, not taking photos OF public transport. The regulations stop "pervits" from taking upskirt photos, such as occurred at the Australian Open tennis.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

As far as I am concerned I am allowed to take pics of anything I want whenever I want (within reason ofcourse) and until they ban photography completely I will continue to do so.

Having a digital camera with screen on the back makes things a little easier if you get questioned about what you are doing as you can show them the pics, cant do that with print cameras so there can always be some doubt as to what pics you have taken.

However its not ilegal yet so keep on snapping. :wink:
Has AdMet CB80 fever
jb17kx
Favourite Vehicle: Irisbus Agoraline

Post by jb17kx »

The Inspector wrote:As far as I am concerned I am allowed to take pics of anything I want whenever I want (within reason ofcourse) and until they ban photography completely I will continue to do so.
As will I. I understand that there are legitimate reasons for restrictions on the photography of some subjects, but buses? Come on!
Selected artistic and gunzel photos from my collection - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb17kx
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

SomeRobot wrote:I was told by a bus driver today that "due to the privacy act", that it is illegal to take photos of buses that have a driver in them.

Is there any such regulation? Sounds ridiculous, and I've never heard of it :roll: :?: :evil:
From http://www.4020.net/words/photorights.shtml - worth a read if you haven't seen that page before. I know you're in Vic but I can't imagine the Vic privacy related legislation being notably different to that in NSW.
NSW & Commonwealth Privacy Acts

Owing to federal/state jurisdiction and constitutional issues, both federal and state Privacy Acts are limited to the regulation of Government Departments and corporations (and even then, only those with an annual turnover of more than $3 million).

Therefore current privacy legislation does not apply to the taking and display of photographs by individuals.

As the NSW Privacy Commissioner pointed out in 2004:

Privacy laws, which deal with the handling of personal information, don't generally regulate the behaviour of individuals.

Even if legislation was extended beyond corporations and departments, "candid photography" would still fall outside its scope, as current law is mainly concerned with the collection & storage of public records (such as personal health & financial details etc.), and not the blanket concealment of people's intimate lives — see this Commwealth Privacy overview, as well as the index of Federal Privacy Commissioner cases.
City Bus Observer

Post by City Bus Observer »

SomeRobot wrote:I was told by a bus driver today that "due to the privacy act", that it is illegal to take photos of buses that have a driver in them.

Supplementary to other replies to your post. Drivers of buses are empowered to enforce certain rules and regulations and as such are public persons they drive "public" transport and cannot hide under the veil of "privacy".
Bernard
P1497
Favourite Vehicle: P1497

Re: [SMH] Photography Is Not A Crime

Post by P1497 »

invada1 wrote:Some time last year a discussion was raise as to taking photo's which could get you into trouble.

Here is a most interesting article from SMH regarding taking photo's especially in public places, and of children. It includes a few good links especially to laws and rights.
Where?
P1497 - my favourite Sydney tram
What if there was as much money as necessary for schools and hospitals,
and they had to hold a raffle to buy a new warship?

BUSES KEEP CLEAR
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Re: [SMH] Photography Is Not A Crime

Post by The Inspector »

P1497 wrote: Where?
Try reading the rest of the posts, he has supplied the link in his 2nd post :roll:
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

This might be a bit late. But quite a while ago, I was told by the ACT Policre branch of the Australian Federal Police that you are allowed to take pictures of anything in public. But you do need the person's permission to take a video/voice recording of them. As that comes under the listening devices act. I think the Police would know more about this sort of thing. Specially as that is what they came to speak to us about.

Taking pictures can be quite a good thing as you might capture a crime in the act (accidentally) & your picture could be posted on every media outlet in the world.

*You may like to note that the ACT Police spoke to me as a part of the Rivers ACT Rural Fire Service Briagde in relation to a **************************************** who decided to set fire to our station.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

Bus 400 wrote:I was told by the ACT Policre branch of the Australian Federal Police that you are allowed to take pictures of anything in public. But you do need the person's permission to take a video/voice recording of them.
That was my understanding as well. It's good the AFP agrees :)
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Post by kitkat271 »

Came across this on another discussion board this week - Big Brother is definitely watching us, although there appears to be some "incentives" to be had for participation.

http://www.vpmag.com/yssy/viewtopic.php?t=20144

How long before our NSW Police friends think of such a register?
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

Sydney International Airport

Post by leopard1543 »

The other day at Sydney International Airport I got 'pulled up' for taking a photo of a poster of the 333 Prepay bus. I was told by this woman in sort of a security uniform that I was not allowed to take a photo. I said to her well it doesn't really matter now I've taken it anyway. :?
She sort of wanted to push it further so I asked her were the signs were to say that photography was not allowed and well she couldn't show me one anywhere so I more or less ended up saying to her that she didn't have a leg to stand on and that was the end of the matter.
I also took a bit of a walk after the encounter around the Airport but could not see one sign anywhere saying that the use of cameras or photography was prohibited so as far as I'm concerned I will be using my camera there again. :lol:
Bring back the Leopards!
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

The only place you cannot legally take photos in Sydney Airport is Passport Control, Baggage Claim and Customs in Terminal 1 where signs are posted to state that.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club

Return to “General Transport Discussion”