Report touting cabbies over Xmas

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Report touting cabbies over Xmas

Post by The Inspector »

Ministry of Transport has put up a hotline for those trying to get a cab during the festive/ summer holiday season where they can report cabbies that are window shopping for business.

Destination shopping is banned and any cabbi doing this should be reported to the MOT where they can be investigated and fined. Cabbies do this a lot, asking where you want to go and if its to short a run or not in the direction they like they refuse entry.

I for one am glad they have this hotline and wont hesitate to use it. Cabbies are there to transfer people to where they want, not were the cabbies wont. I also though this practie was already against the rules & regs.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Wrong Way - Go Back

Re: Report touting cabbies over Xmas

Post by Wrong Way - Go Back »

The Inspector wrote:Cabbies do this a lot, asking where you want to go
... aided by stupid intending passengers who communicate through the window.

Get in, close the door and only then give your destination.
Mercedes
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Mercedes »

Better still dont risk your life in a taxi and catch a bus instead :wink:
Proud 0305G x2 and 0405 x1 owner
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Now i know why people keep asking me iif it is alright if I can take them somewhere.Gives me the shits.Just get in shutup, payup, out.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Re: Report touting cabbies over Xmas

Post by The Inspector »

Wrong Way - Go Back wrote: Get in, close the door and only then give your destination.
I'd like to see you try and do that with a cabbie that stops with window half down and door locked, only unlocking it if he wants to take your fare, I have seen this happen, one night a guy hailed a cab on George st, one stopped, the guy tried to open door but it was locked so he said through window were he wanted to go.

Cabbie declined and started to move off, however this guy was fast enough to ripp off the cabbies nearside mirror in protest.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Perhaps you tell him "Hornsby", then when you get in you tell him "Paddington". "sorry I never said Hornsby".

He cant throw you out once you are in. :P

Maybe he wont like Hornsby either, because it will be too hard to get a fare back to the city, but somewhere convenient inbetween can be nominated.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Volvo Super Olympian
Favourite Vehicle: Double deckers

Post by Volvo Super Olympian »

Not even at night, today, I had to head offsite to my company's secondary office to fix something, and I was trying to get a cab at Martin Place around 16:00, managed to stopped a silver class, he pulled over and asked where i was going, i told him West Pennant Hills, then he goes "I only go to airport". I was like WTF, he had no passengers at all, and I had a cab charge card with me, he wasn't booked in anyways, since he had the cab light on! This is how they do business.

Usually I book the silver service before I leave my office via internet, but their site was down all day, and my work phone doesn't allow 13XXXX numbers, so I thought I would take a bet and wave for one on the street. Ended up catching a Tarago maxi at York St where I saw mo 9453 Forest Bendi, not a loss afterall 8)
Citybus

Post by Citybus »

boronia wrote:Perhaps you tell him "Hornsby", then when you get in you tell him "Paddington". "sorry I never said Hornsby".

He cant throw you out once you are in. :P

Maybe he wont like Hornsby either, because it will be too hard to get a fare back to the city, but somewhere convenient inbetween can be nominated.
Chatswood perhaps?
Wrong Way - Go Back

Volvo Super Olympian wrote:I was trying to get a cab at Martin Place around 16:00, managed to stopped a silver class, he pulled over and asked where i was going, i told him West Pennant Hills, then he goes "I only go to airport".
Once again, you played by his rules!
Shut up, get in and only then give the desto.
PAQ12

Post by PAQ12 »

I can't speak for other states, but in QLD, there is such a ruling where the passenger can complain to a governing body.
In the time I drove taxi's, I hated short fares on a quiet night, cause your only earning a couple of dollars an hour - but it was that or nothing!
I would get alot of southerners in the cab and ask, driver - will you go to ? - at first didn't make sense, but then a passenger told me that in Sydney, that happens all the time.
There were only 2 legitamate reasons for not wanting to carry a passenger, if you felt they did not have money to pay for the fare, or if you felt your life was in danger.
I hope anyone who sees such actions will complain, so this cab industry can be cleaned up - and sorry if this seems to be racist, but alot of these issues i've witnessed first hand are mainly from the population of immigrants who have became taxi drivers :roll:
For all your printing needs, think Print Arana - visit www.printarana.com.au or phone 1300 866 593

Formally Known as "BT Buses"
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

It's always the ethnics that do this crap.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

When did this rule/regulation come into effect? Since touting has been going on as long as I've been catching taxi's, especially at the dreaded 2am to 3am shift change hour. From talking with some of the St George/Diamond guys who I've gotten to know in my 18 months, they seem to avoid touting by knocking off early!
Swift obsessor wrote:It's always the ethnics that do this crap.
Well from my experience, if it's only the "ethnics" that do it, it must be every bloody cabbie out there :lol:
Not even at night, today, I had to head offsite to my company's secondary office to fix something, and I was trying to get a cab at Martin Place around 16:00, managed to stopped a silver class, he pulled over and asked where i was going, i told him West Pennant Hills, then he goes "I only go to airport". I was like WTF, he had no passengers at all, and I had a cab charge card with me, he wasn't booked in anyways, since he had the cab light on! This is how they do business.

Usually I book the silver service before I leave my office via internet, but their site was down all day, and my work phone doesn't allow 13XXXX numbers, so I thought I would take a bet and wave for one on the street. Ended up catching a Tarago maxi at York St where I saw mo 9453 Forest Bendi, not a loss afterall
Could my actions below, be considered karma directed at the taxi industry on your behalf then? :twisted:

I had an urgent specimen to send to Randwick, urgent in the sense that the results were being waited on and someone at the department that performs the test was staying back on overtime. So it had to be there ASAP, I call the company that the lab has an "understanding" with (down to fixed prices and PIN's for various destinations) cabcharge of course. I won't mention it, but for a cryptic clue, there's one of these clubs in most suburbs and towns. Get the usual "next available" we've been told it goes straight to the top of the CAD screen as an urgent call. It's 1715 today.

Anyway 1810 rolls around, no sign of a cabbie. So I call up the company. Get a slight runaround by the operator eventually she "finds" the booking, puts me on hold, meanwhile a cabbie appears, from another company (the name- the roman army had plenty of these) and I get him to fill the spaces on the log, I explain where he has to go, he takes the cabcharge and parcel and is on his way. Hang up the phone (still on hold) again karma, they cut me off after having me on hold for 2 minutes last time I had to chase something.

Not even 5 minutes later a cabbie from the first company arrives, when I told him he had missed it by such a short margin, I could tell by his look he wasn't impressed. Given my recent experiences in doing these kind of transfers and all the delays this company cause, I was finding it hard to keep a straight face.....
bendertiger2

Post by bendertiger2 »

I personally can't see what the problem is, people have a CHOICE to pay the fares wanted or not!
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

I got two numbers of cabs doing this on Friday night around The Rocks (George Street). I will be forwarding the numbers tomorrow!
Job done.
Wrong Way - Go Back

bendertiger2 wrote:I personally can't see what the problem is, people have a CHOICE to pay the fares wanted or not!
What the .... ?
The rates are fixed, it's not a freakin' auction!!!

Return to “General Transport Discussion”