• Advertisement

Toyota Coaster Impact resistance

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Toyota Coaster Impact resistance

Postby pabloinyuzhno » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:48 pm

Russia: A fleet of Toyota Coasters is available and are planned to be used for daily transport of employees to a remote worksite. The route is along steep dropoffs and other road users are generally well lubricated with Wodka. The risk of accidents therefore is high. As we do not have records of serious incidents involving Coasters, could anybody provide me with details of incidents so we can get an idea of the suitability of the vehicle for this type of use and the impact resistance? Thanks
Pablo, Yuzhno
pabloinyuzhno

Postby bendertiger2 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:05 pm

Have you considered talking to Toyota themselves and ask for crash testing design reports? Any bus is going to be well and truly damaged in a crash, especially a coaster, though they do have more protection then say, a van.
bendertiger2

Postby Bostik » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:22 pm

well after falling of a steep dropoff, i don't think much would survive, let alone passengers inside whatever vehicle it may be; a B10L or a Coaster
Bostik

Postby z80 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:30 am

Здравствуйте pabloinyuzhno,

I have driven Toyota Coasters on mine sites, and they are not a very comfortable bus to drive, but they are good for crashing in to things and handle very very bad roads well.

The mine site in this picture is 120kms on dirt road, and we hit kangaroo's and other animals all the time. In the rain the buses slide all over the road and some times crash in to the side of the road, but we just pull them out and keep going.

Most of our crashing was done at low speeds but they where good. Similar to a UAZ 2260, if you crash it, just push it back on the road and keep going.

This is another of the buses I used to drive. This one usually went to another mine site. Same sort of roads.

The one major problem we had with these was that they put salt water on the dirt roads to keep the dust down, so many buses had allot of rust due to salt corrosion.

If you want any personal notes on this PM me.
z80

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion