• Advertisement

Tram body & loyout notations

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Tram body & loyout notations

Postby Herbert » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:40 pm

Is anyone aware of a system of abbreviations for tram body layouts & seating similiar to the system used in bus fleets lists (eg B35Dw)?
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Herbert

Favourite Vehicle: rather partial to B12BLEAs!

Postby RK215 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:02 am

There is a system (originated by the LRTA, I believe) for designation of vehicle type, but I don't think it include seating capacity. I'll see what I have on it and post again.

One point I do recall - beacuse the vehicle type is unusual - is that the "nM4" refers to a 4-axle motored trailer, whereas B4 refers to a passive trailer. At least back in 1979, The Hague had PCC sets of the M4s + nM4 form, and Hanover had some B4s + nM4 Grossraumwagen sets, amongst a larger number of M4s + B4 combinations.

Cheers,
RK215

Postby RK215 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:58 am

Ok, here's an LRTA list from the early 1980's:

>>>>>

A: articulated car with suspended centre section ("two rooms and a bath" type)
J: articulated car with Jacobs bogie(s) (standard type with ends of body sections supported by one bogie)
N: articulated car with one rigid truck and one bogie (German "Nachlaufer" type)
X: articulated car with subframe or mechanical linkage to support the articulation (German GT4 type in Bremen/Stuttgart/Munchen)
Z: articulated car with bogies under centre section (variation of standard type to permit all bogies to be motored)
B: trailer (unpowered towed car with no or only shunting controls)
cB: control trailer (unpowered car with driving controls for push-pull operation with a motor car)
M: motor car (powered car with driving controls)
nM: motor car without driving controls (sometimes known as a non-driving motor car or motorised trailer)
2-12: number of axles
d: double-ended car (for bi-directional working)
h: single-ended car with limited facilities for bi-directional working (some offside doors and a full range rear controller)
s: single-ended car (may have limited shunting controller at rear)
Afb: post-war car with new body on truck recovered fro. war damaged car (German "Aufbau" type)
KSW: wartime utility design (German "Kriegsstrassenbahnwagen")
Vbt: standard post-war two-axle car (German "Verbandstyp")
Stadtbahn-B: current standard six-axle high-performance car for use on new or upgraded lines, mostly with platforms
Stadtbahn-M: current standard eight-axle car for use on existing metre-gauge systems with capability for subways or upgraded lines
Stadtbahn-N: as above but standard gauge

>>>>>

Cheers,
RK215

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion