• Advertisement

A general desto roll question

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

A general desto roll question

Postby Simes » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:44 pm

This comment by mobitec ICU elsewhere got me wondering

oh my god... its alive...
new engine and its running....
its got the mk4 doors, the new top desto roll design (fabric again) and the old west no2 roll.

although 3251 is the better one of the two now.

sorry norbert had to make the comment!

Which is cheaper? the fabric or the plastic?

Since the roll in this picture
http://www.businterchange.com/3252Sydney1.jpg

seems to be rare as hens teeth at the moment, I'm wondering if this is a trial roll? I see K mk3's on a more or less daily basis and haven't seen this roll on any of them yet, they seem to have the plastic one's inherited from withdrawn/transferred mk2's. (a few seem to be wearing or ill fitted since there are a few crumpled up examples around as well)

I wonder if there might be a move back to fabric destos, since the black dust on desto glass didn't really seem to be a problem back in the days of fabric. The numbers have always been plastic though right?
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Simes

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Postby boronia » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:57 pm

The old fabric rolls had to be screen printed by hand, whereas the plastic ones are, I understand, computer produced in a machine. Perhaps there is some new technology available now to allow re-use of calico.

The plastic is much thinner, so more signs can be wrapped around the roller drum. There used to be problems in this regard with some old calico signs in some depots, requiring names to be spread over two rolls.

The number rolls went from calico to plastic about the same time as the desto rolls, late 1970s I think.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby newcastle_man_2 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:21 pm

I have seen alot of broken plastic ones in buses up here aswell as ripped number rolls.
Proud member of the NGTN since 2007 - quality scoops guaranteed!
newcastle_man_2

Postby Ken » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:37 pm

Simes wrote:I'm wondering if this is a trial roll?

Yes, it is a trial roll. 3252 is currently a mismatch of desto rolls - the front has a trial top roll, an old 'chunky lettering' bottom roll, while the side ones appear to be the current general K rolls.

The trial new calico roll has the lettering a little too thin in my opinion, but other than that it seems fine. The King St Wharf desto shown in Norberts photo linked to in Simes' post above is the only real oddity on the roll.

Anyway, here is another posed pic of 3252:
Ken

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Postby Simes » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:35 pm

Yeah I remember seeing 3252 before it's "heart transplant" and back then it had the older style south west roll on line 2 but the top line was the current plastic roll (I think the side rolls were both "current")

I agree though Ken, the font is too thin, maybe the "production" rolls will be better in that regard? Then again, seeing the BBE rolls with information crammed onto those rolls, I won't hold my breath

here's a pic of 3252 with it's former roll

http://www.businterchange.com/3252.jpg
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Simes

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Postby daveharries » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:24 am

Do they have the electronic LED displays in Australia as we do over here?

They may cost a bit of dosh to obtain each controller and display needed but when you want to edit or add a destination you simply:

1. Install the programming software onto a laptop computer.

2. Connect a special module to the laptop computer. The module is used to upload the destination display's programming onto the display controler. The uploading rate is quite fast.

3. Do the editing and / or adding and / or removing of the destinations you need to do.

4. Save the new information to the module.

5. Plug the module into the display controller.

6. Upload from the module to the display controller.

Pictures (from the website of Hannover Displays who are among the manufacture of this equipment here in the UK) of the display programming software and equipment:

The interface for changing the text. Note the colours in use here.

Image Image
The types of display controller available. The socket for the module to plug in and upload is just to the right of where it says "Eric +" on the casing of the controller.

The module in the socket and uploading in progress.

I am told by the operations director of my local bus company that the programming for these displays is quite easy to do. But perhaps its best point is that you save money because with rollerboards you have to redo the whole roll each time you make a change.

And ultimately, of course, you can read the LED electronic destinations from a good distance. Here is an example of what you can end up with:

First Bristol 42962 (WX06 OMV) with its LED display. Note the scrolling bottom line on the display which is another useful tool as you can give
a decent idea of the route that the bus takes.

Sorry if this seems a slightly long post for some. I will go to bed now... :)

Dave
daveharries

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B9TL / Wright Gemini

Postby boronia » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:27 pm

daveharries wrote:Do they have the electronic LED displays in Australia as we do over here?
Dave

We have a variety of mechanical "flip dot" and all electric LED displays in use here.

Just mainly the older bises, and some with smaller companies stick with roller blinds
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby R-C » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:27 pm

The rollers on 3252 are as follows
Front No1 is the new fabric type
Front No2 is the West No2 Roll

Side No1 and 2 are they standard Arrow Alpha produced plastic rolls

In some of the mk2 and 3s we have the new style side No1 roll installed as the plastic ones seem to be getting ripped and destroyed.

If u look closely the rollers in the photo below you will see the font difference.

This roll is produced by some mob call TriSigns and is a very thick roll compared to the fabric rolls.

Should be interesting to see how it goes when the dust and crap starts settling in the desto box, as with the plastic ones it was simply wipe off the dust off the desto glass and the roll with damp cloth and warm water, where as with this it will need to be washed in a washing machine perhaps?

You will see this roll more often when the rollers get destroyed and new signage is applied.

But as for the case of 3251 and 3252 why not retrofit the mobitec signage into them?

And for 3252 as it was the allocated Route 448 bus when it was alive thats why the rollers are mixed as they are , as to allow the driver to use the following combination
To Marrickville Metro -> Top Roll Blank, Bottom roll MARRICKVILLE METRO
To Dulwich Hill -> DULWICH HILL SHOPS
or as some drivers did, as it was a loop sort of run
DULWICH HILL SHOPS
MARRICKVILLE METRO
R-C

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion