• Advertisement

How do I Catch A Bus?

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

How do I Catch A Bus?

Postby Peter_Pickles » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:36 pm

I was travelling on a bus the other day when a thirtyish something guy steped into the bus and said to the driver .... "I'm from Tasmainia, What do I do?"

This got me thinking ...

Does bus travel vary between the states. I'm not talking about ticket types, I am refering to the way in which buses are boarded. For example, do you pay the driver or put a coin in a slot. Do you state your destination or do you just pay a standard fare no matter how far you go.

Or was this guy just playing in holiday mode. (I'm on holidays, you'll have to carry me. I can't do anything for myself.)

How hard can it be to catch a bus.
Peter_Pickles

Postby Member 563 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:06 pm

taiwan is an odd one you enter via the back door and pay on exit via the front door this is really odd and takes a while to get used to

another one is where you just get on and sit down anyware an the cute ticket guy will come over to you and ask you where you want to go and you pay him basied on the distance travelled

so yes it does vary from city to city in victoria it seems uniform system wide no odd boarding or ticketing systems
User has left this forum.
Member 563

Postby boronia » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:59 am

gwmss15 wrote:taiwan is an odd one you enter via the back door and pay on exit via the front door this is really odd and takes a while to get used to

This is quite common in Japan, too, where sectional fares and exact cash fare boxes are used on mosr services..

When you get in the back door, you take a ticket from a dispenser that shows the section number you boarded. Up front is a screen that regularly updates to show the "current" fare from each prior section. As you get out you put the ticket and cash into the farebox.

There are change machines in the saloon as well that will usually accept coins and notes up to about the equivalent of AU$10.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Jim_D » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:14 am

here in tasmania we pay on entry and the driver issues the ticket
Jim_D

Postby 08 XDi » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:45 am

People are really going to have to get used to making two transactions with smartcards. An absurd number of people are going to forget to tag off the bus and will get charged the default fare instead of the proper one.
Elvis has left the building!
08 XDi

Postby member 1423 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:05 pm

SM247 wrote:People are really going to have to get used to making two transactions with smartcards. An absurd number of people are going to forget to tag off the bus and will get charged the default fare instead of the proper one.

It will only take a few passergers to be charged a 5 zones for a 1 zone trip before they get the fact they have to tag on AND off
member 1423

Postby Volvo B12BLEA » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:43 pm

mbrowne1045 wrote:It will only take a few passergers to be charged a 5 zones for a 1 zone trip before they get the fact they have to tag on AND off

I hope TRANSLink have a huge publicity / educational blitz in all forms of the Media about tagging on AND off and they do it for a few months not just a week or 2.
Any posts are my views or opinions and are NOT on behalf of any Organisation.
Volvo B12BLEA

Favourite Vehicle: Rail and Ships / Boats.

Postby Cab » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:12 pm

I find it differs between operators;

Bribie Island confirm were you are going to go if you say 'zone 9' they say so 'your getting off before the Bribie bridge'?)

E.g -Caboolture Bus Line drivers generally ask you where you wish to go.
(however in some cases this isn't true :wink: )

-Brisbane Transport don't because of the shear scale of the service cover. You just get on if you have aready bought a ticket :)

That's just what i find :wink:
Another post by Cab.
Cab

Favourite Vehicle: buses :P

Re: How do I Catch A Bus?

Postby main identity » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:27 pm

IN ADELAIDE YOU CAN BUY A MULTITRIP TICKET WHICH WILL GIVE YOU TEN TWO HOUR TRIPS. YOU GET ON BUS AND VALIDATE IN A MACHINE WHICH PRINT TIME ON TICKET.

OR PAY DRIVER TO GET EITHER TWO SECTION TWO SECTION NON TRANSFERAL OR CONSESION TICKET, STUDENT OR A TWO HOUR TRANSFER TICKET.
Always going round in circles, one lap to go.
Time for a Coffee Break
Sensational Adelaide #1
main identity

Postby T1248 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:45 pm

I pity the poor fool one day that gets on a train at gympie north and gets of at say traverston (why i dont know but this is just an example) but forgets to swipe off and gets charged the full fare of going to zone 1. All i can say is OUCH!
Thats $17.40 compared to the $2.20 they were expecting to pay. I guess you wont be making that mistake again. Actually i would think you would be calling up translink if that happened. Weather they will be nice and refund the credit i dont know.

Cheers James

(Edit: AND WHY ARE WE YELLING, ARE WE GETTING PASSED BY A FREIGHT TRAIN ON THE LINE RIGHT NEXT US????)
Mysteriously Disappeared
T1248

Postby Bazza » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:49 pm

HE IS MERELY STATING THE SIMPLICITY OF THE ADELAIDE CROUZET SYSTEM RELATIVE TO SOME OTHER SYSTEMS IN USE IN AUSTRALIA!!1!!!111!!!ONE!11

:P
i think r31 skyline is pretty col guy. eh is shaped like a box and doesnt afraid of anything
i also think vl commdore is pretty cool guy to. eh uses nissan engine and doesn't afraid of anything either
Bazza

Favourite Vehicle: Nissan Skyline R31

Re: How do I Catch A Bus?

Postby ABS » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:31 pm

main identity wrote:IN ADELAIDE YOU CAN BUY A MULTITRIP TICKET WHICH WILL GIVE YOU TEN TWO HOUR TRIPS. YOU GET ON BUS AND VALIDATE IN A MACHINE WHICH PRINT TIME ON TICKET.

OR PAY DRIVER TO GET EITHER TWO SECTION TWO SECTION NON TRANSFERAL OR CONSESION TICKET, STUDENT OR A TWO HOUR TRANSFER TICKET.

YOU DON'T SAY!!! :roll:

We've had a system like that for the last 10 years which is being replaced by the smart cards.

FINALLY, STOP YELLING! :roll:
ABS

Postby invada1 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:50 pm

:D gee's the industry has changed
How do I catch a bus???
Run like the wind!!
With your hand's!!
At a bus stop or terminus would help!!
With a big hook and line!!!

all answers that would have been given years ago obviously serious is the word of the day funs gone out the windoiw with bad music.

Gone are the days I guess where you get on a bus with cash in your hand and the smallest you've got is a $50 or $100. I used to love these people especially the ones who did it on a regular day. i'd be ready with a heap of coin and small notes heaps, heaps of coin :lol:

One fellow never failed so it was tead up that he got change for smallest tender of $20 mostly change and had to go to depot for the rest cab cost $35 bus fair $1.75 day off work to reclaim additional cash $100.
Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50375989@N00/
invada1

Postby Wrong Way - Go Back » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:08 pm

Welcome back, Invada.
It's been a long time between posts.
Wrong Way - Go Back

Postby mrobsessed » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:43 pm

Moore's Tours in Sydney had a pay as you leave set up on the way from Hurstville Station and pay as you enter on the way to the station. Minimum turn around time.
mrobsessed

Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Postby J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R) » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:24 pm

I beleive that Adeleide's is the easiest.... Most people so not know about or care about 2 section tickets so everything is simple.

1 ticket takes you anywhere as there is no such thing as zones and one price for any length of travel. the only variations is concession fares for SA concession card holders and also interpeak tickets for travel 9Am-3Pm monday to friday...

the day trip is easy too as it is all day unlike some states (looking at your crappy system WA) our day trips start from the first service and end at the last service, including those after midnight...

as for smart rider and smart cards etc... i have heard some bad things about it such as incorrect fares being charged... the daytrip price cap not taking effect etc..... also the initial cost of the card? $10? well that means that tourists won't buy them cos it is not worth the cost, but a tourist can pick up multi trips....

just a questin for states such as WA... if i start north of the city in say zone 2 and travel though the city zone 1 and then on the other side of the city into zone 2 again... does that count as 2 zones or 3 zones? also would this be effected if i alight in zone 1 and then catch a new service to zone 2
First ever passenger on J1 J1C 265 T217 RZ6 RZ8 N224 N122 521 522 173 E1 N206
Last ever passenger 112 124 T255 236 266 282 402 420
on first RZ5
on last 275
J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R)

Postby member 1423 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:20 pm

J1 Rasberrycoke (J1R) wrote:just a questin for states such as WA... if i start north of the city in say zone 2 and travel though the city zone 1 and then on the other side of the city into zone 2 again... does that count as 2 zones or 3 zones? also would this be effected if i alight in zone 1 and then catch a new service to zone 2

On the Translink system this would be counted as a 2 zone trip. Also, transferring is permitted on a Translink 'Single' ticket, so long as its withing 2 hrs of boarding the first service.

Refer to my post here explaining the public transport system in Brisbane/Translink area.

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13525
member 1423

Postby invada1 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:43 pm

Wrong Way - Go Back wrote:Welcome back, Invada.
It's been a long time between posts.

Not so long Wrong Way but always lurking in the background reading posts

not much to say when all you read is Gov Bus stuff

soon will be even less to read as the number of operators die off and political interferrance pushed by global vandalisim
But still we hear the cry of we can't afford to do that, its to costly we need government funding and hand outs................so we can go OS and buy large chuncks of realestate boats planes and more crap buses which are desgined OS built OS etc etc etc.
Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50375989@N00/
invada1

Postby bendertiger2 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:58 pm

By god, don't step on a hornibrook bus and ask what zone a certain destination is in, by doing that they'll print out the ticket already, then when you want to wait and let everyone else on (being nice) and then get them to cancel the ticket, they can't do it :roll:
bendertiger2

Postby AmishThrasher » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:15 pm

mbrowne1045 wrote:
SM247 wrote:People are really going to have to get used to making two transactions with smartcards. An absurd number of people are going to forget to tag off the bus and will get charged the default fare instead of the proper one.

It will only take a few passergers to be charged a 5 zones for a 1 zone trip before they get the fact they have to tag on AND off

I hope they don't get charged for 5 zones in Melbourne... that could get messy!
AmishThrasher

Postby dude » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:07 pm

Member 563 wrote:taiwan is an odd one you enter via the back door and pay on exit via the front door this is really odd and takes a while to get used to

King County Metro Transit in Seattle do this as well. I've been on transit systems all over the world, and this caught me by surprise. It only happens on outbound trips though due to the Downtown Free Fare zone, so by making it not uniform it is confusing to the uninitiated..
dude

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion