• Advertisement

Covid-19

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Re: Covid-19

Postby tonyp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:05 am

Things are moving along rapidly with transit as in other areas. Transperth has announced that it is introducing cashboxes for cash fares. This means that no change will be given to those who don't have the exact fare.

Transport Canberra has moved fully to the European system (cashless, rear door entry, front door available only to wheelchairs and pram), but social media feedback indicates that it is being caught out by its high floor buses because people with non-visible accessibility issues have been denied entry at the front door by drivers. The current widespread outdated trend for buying high floor buses with stepped entries (Bustechs and Combo artics) has hopefully finally met its nemesis.

Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby tonyp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:45 am

Spare a thought for British bus drivers with their front door entry and not much opportunity for "social distancing"!

Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Fleet Lists » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:02 am

Captain Cook Cruises, Sydney https://www.captaincook.com.au/covid-19/ Cancelling their cruise services for the time being.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Bus Suggestions » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:47 am

Official release from Transperth regarding COVID-19:
Transperth Website wrote:Last updated Tuesday 24 March
We are closely monitoring what is happening with coronavirus (COVID-19) and are in close contact with the relevant health authorities and will continue to follow their advice in terms of precautions and mitigation measures.

Our services are essential for many people in the community to get to work, the shops, pharmacies and to appointments. We ask people to only travel if necessary and if they have no other travel option available. Please do not use public transport if you are sick.

We are reducing the need for our bus drivers to handle cash on Transperth bus services. Please see 'What we are doing' tab below for more information.

What we are doing
Increased cleaning

While all Transperth vehicles are regularly cleaned, we are increasing the cleaning regime of our buses, trains and ferries as well as stations. Particular attention is being paid to surfaces passengers hold or contact. Regardless, surfaces where people touch – including poles, doors and handrails – should not be considered completely sanitised.

Cash handling

We recommend that passengers who usually buy cash fares on the Transperth system consider buying a SmartRider card. Also, we ask that passengers who usually add value to their SmartRider on board a bus, use alternative methods of adding value, such as Autoload.

We ask that passengers using our InfoCentres or the ferry kiosk, pay by card and not cash.

We are reducing the need for our bus drivers to handle cash on Transperth bus services. Buses are being fitted with a cash box near the driver, into which passengers still using cash should drop their money before the driver issues a ticket or adds value to a SmartRider. We anticipate these boxes will be installed over the next few days. Where a cash box has been fitted, no change will be given.

Temporary closure of front seat on-board buses

The front seats of buses will be temporarily closed off, providing more space between drivers and passengers. We ask all passengers to keep any interaction with the driver to a minimum.

Basically, this means TP has introduced a layout similar to the PTV bus earlier.
[Insert Signature]
Bus Suggestions

Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Postby Merc1107 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:08 pm

tonyp wrote:Transperth has announced that it is introducing cashboxes for cash fares. This means that no change will be given to those who don't have the exact fare.
I wonder how many people will stupidly tender notes for something like a $1 fare? :mrgreen:
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Postby Linto63 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:21 pm

tonyp wrote:Spare a thought for British bus drivers with their front door entry and not much opportunity for "social distancing"!
London buses have fully enclosed cabs with only one opening measuring about 20 x 10 cm and few ventilation holes that could be easily sealed.
Linto63

Postby Campbelltown busboy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:00 pm

This discussion board will become very quite when this virus/disease eventually puts us in a nation wide lockdown when it comes to the observation threads in state based discussions as we all would be at home
1000 posts and counting
1st post Sun Aug 11 2013 8:04pm
1000th post Sun Dec 15 2019 4:30pm
Campbelltown busboy

Postby rogf24 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 pm

Not strictly transport related but gosh, how has this less than 6-month-old but deadly virus spread from some very stupid vendor in an inland China market to Prince Charles and Tom Hanks now? The world is really a lot closer than we would have thought. Although clearly not close enough for some transport operators and authorities to learn from transport practices overseas.
rogf24

Postby Centralian » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:11 pm

Campbelltown busboy wrote:This discussion board will become very quite when this virus/disease eventually puts us in a nation wide lockdown when it comes to the observation threads in state based discussions as we all would be at home

I think Facebook has already achieved that with this discussion board. A few 'hot' topics get some contributions, but the spirit of sharing freely has certainly gone - which is sad.
Centralian

Postby Fleet Lists » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Yes at the peak we had over 200 posts per day but over January/February this year we averaged just over 36 posts a day. So far in March we are averaging right on 38.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Merc1107 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 pm

Centralian wrote:I think Facebook has already achieved that with this discussion board. A few 'hot' topics get some contributions, but the spirit of sharing freely has certainly gone - which is sad.
Facebook seems greatly inferior for having anything close to an intellectual discussion; comments get buried under one-another, search makes it difficult to always find what you want, scroll too far and your computer gradually grinds to a halt under the burden of their sloppily-run site. It's great in terms of photos, but the issues with discussion mean the only comments you see now are along the lines of "nice pix."

The other problem is, of course, that where there was the ATDB and maybe things like Yahoo Groups, there'd easily be two or three dozen splinter groups (all with differing levels of privacy, posting standards, and all with some degree of overlap in content).
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Postby tonyp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:07 pm

rogf24 wrote: Although clearly not close enough for some transport operators and authorities to learn from transport practices overseas.

I think there's pretty good knowledge of overseas responses (through UITP guidelines and other information). The problem is institutionalised issues and practices that have constrained the ability to fully implement those practices. There is no doubt that Transport Canberra has responded best and most fully, with only the constraint of having some high floor buses in its fleet that have created minor access issues for some.

I rather hope that a legacy of the experience will be that some follow-up thinking will be stimulated about practice issues like all-door boarding, cash fares, proper accessibility (not just minimal legal compliance), crowd handling and vehicle design. It would be sad if the bus sector just lazily reverted to the old ways after this.
tonyp

Postby Linto63 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 am

tonyp wrote:I rather hope that a legacy of the experience will be that some follow-up thinking will be stimulated about practice issues like all-door boarding, cash fares, proper accessibility (not just minimal legal compliance), crowd handling and vehicle design..
Translation: Covid19 has provided a wonderful opportunity for me to get out some of my favourite hobbyhorses out. When the crisis passes, many things will be up for review, but I doubt ii is going to bring a sudden change in vehicle design, the ability to pay with cash etc. These may change in time, but unlikely Covid19 will change the timeframe.
Linto63

Postby Centralian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 am

Merc1107 wrote: Facebook seems greatly inferior for having anything close to an intellectual discussion; comments get buried under one-another, search makes it difficult to always find what you want, scroll too far and your computer gradually grinds to a halt under the burden of their sloppily-run site. It's great in terms of photos, but the issues with discussion mean the only comments you see now are along the lines of "nice pix."

The other problem is, of course, that where there was the ATDB and maybe things like Yahoo Groups, there'd easily be two or three dozen splinter groups (all with differing levels of privacy, posting standards, and all with some degree of overlap in content).

Agree 100% Merc1107. We've split into small secret groups outside of this discussion board and info is now being shared only among those select few via Facebook. Many have become hoarders of information instead of sharers. When I joined here in 2004 and have watched its evolution I thought it was the greatest thing out for the bus enthusiast, especially one who wasn't in the industry. The effort that was put in for things like the fleet lists (an absolute gem that needs to be protected), happenings in the industry, photos both current and historic. I guess where is there to go once something becomes the best - downhill ! Still some great discussions and chat but as Fleet Lists mentions, you can see the decline in sharing. Perhaps just a reflection of Society today. :(
Centralian

Postby Fleet Lists » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:36 am

Fleet Lists wrote:Captain Cook Cruises, Sydney https://www.captaincook.com.au/covid-19/ Cancelling their cruise services for the time being.

Expanding on that, the only services now operating are the Lance Cove ferry service and a curtailed Circular Quay - Watsons Bay service which no longer operates to Barangaroo during this time.

And Manly Fast Ferry is now only operating the service between Circular Quay and Manly Wharf. https://www.myfastferry.com.au/2020/03/ ... formation/
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Campbelltown busboy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:40 pm

Here's something interesting the WHO's offical country by country case counter
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source ... 2b74edd8_2
1000 posts and counting
1st post Sun Aug 11 2013 8:04pm
1000th post Sun Dec 15 2019 4:30pm
Campbelltown busboy

Postby tonyp » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:05 am

A run-down around the systems based on information on the various agency websites and social media comments.

All systems now appear to have the special cleaning regime.

Demand door-buttons on trams and trains seem to be being disabled and all doors opened by drivers. There is anecdotal comment that not all bus drivers are opening all doors at all stops to circulate fresh air regularly as they should. (I'm not aware of any examples in Australia of demand door buttons on buses.)

There is a general practice of taping off the first row of seats behind the driver in buses and trams, even in trams where the driver is in a separate cab. (It's like some agencies don't do enough in some respects and overkill in others.)

There seems to be a general discouragement of or outright ban on cash fares, though it seems this is impossible to implement in rural areas in states where a smartcard isn't available outside major cities. Perth is continuing with cash fares but fitting buses with cash boxes.

Only two systems - Canberra and Brisbane - have adopted the recommended procedure of boarding all buses by the rear (centre and rear) doors and keeping the front door closed, thus fully protecting drivers. In both cases exceptions are made for people with mobility impairments to enter by the front door, but there are anecdotal reports from Canberra of drivers refusing access to such people. This is a particular issue in buses with stairs at the rear door such as Bustechs and Combos. The Perth CAT buses and Adelaide Connector and O-Bahn buses already have all-door entry but there is no announcement in either case that entry by the front door has been restricted.

Edit: It seems that rear door entry for buses has been introduced in Melbourne too.
tonyp

Postby Swift » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:59 pm

I believe bus drivers need better physical barriers from passengers than they're getting. How hard it it to tape up some plastic sheeting until a more permanent perspex fixture can be put up.
It looks like this obsession with having A/C on buses has become a liability in all this.
General measures have been too reactionary and poorly implemented with bungled handling of cruise ship passengers.
Australia's systemic weaknesses coupled with a culture of apathy are a two fold liability against combating this crisis.
Thank you Wran for giving us a four year reprieve from the Greiner monster by keeping that nightmare at bay in 84.
Australia worthless insular PT backwater you are where even the U.S is bounds ahead.
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby tonyp » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:35 pm

The medical advice is apparently that aircon doesn't play a role in spreading infection. However, opening all doors at all stops us useful in refreshing the internal air regularly.
tonyp

Postby Centralian » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:59 pm

Checking a few websites today I notice Murrays have suspended their Sydney - Canberra Express and Queensland Express services as from Monday 30 March until further notice.
Also AATKings at this stage have suspended their Holiday tours until 15 May and their Day Tours until 31 May.
Can't quite work out what Greyhound are doing as their post was confusing and a few days old now.
Cross Country Tours / All Australian Journeys have ceased operations until further notice and all staff placed on leave.
Outback Spirit (owned by operators of Indian Pacific & The Ghan) have suspended all tours until 30 June and their Kimberley operations for remainder of 2020 season.
Last edited by Centralian on Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Centralian

Postby boronia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Former driver37 wrote:I swore i read somewhere today that all Southlink buses are being cleaned and disinfected thoroughly every night not sure where i read this

Even if the buses are being cleaned every day, drivers can still pick up infections from elsewhere.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Swift » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:35 pm

It needs to be done at the end of each run.
An employment opportunity for some over qualified cleaning teams.
Thank you Wran for giving us a four year reprieve from the Greiner monster by keeping that nightmare at bay in 84.
Australia worthless insular PT backwater you are where even the U.S is bounds ahead.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:23 pm

I noticed new nifty looking perspex screens installed on checkouts at my local Woolworths.
I immediately thought if only bus drivers would be looked after like this.
Swift

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:32 am

Victoria will be on stage 3 as from midnight tonight. How long before NSW will be there as well?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby BroadGauge » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Fleet Lists wrote:Victoria will be on stage 3 as from midnight tonight. How long before NSW will be there as well?

The only real difference between the two states at the moment is that Victoria uses the term "stage 3" and NSW doesn't.
BroadGauge

Favourite Vehicle: Car

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion