A Misuse of the Quote Function

News and comments about this board.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

A Misuse of the Quote Function

Post by Swift »

Some people insist on quoting the previous reply in it's entirety when just answering it as the next poster would suffice.
Quoting is only useful if you want to highlight a particular point or a post that is further back.
Why quote what is there to be read immediately above??
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Re: A Misuse of the Quote Function

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

:oops: :oops: Guilty. When I first joined this board that is exactly what I did. Happily, I have mostly stopped now.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Reposting photos in quotes is another PITA
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
chuboy
Favourite Vehicle: The oldest in revenue service.

Post by chuboy »

Swift wrote:Some people insist on quoting the previous reply in it's entirety when just answering it as the next poster would suffice.
Quoting is only useful if you want to highlight a particular point or a post that is further back.
On the contrary, I find it useful to know exactly what a post is 'answering'. Since posts can be edited or deleted at any time, some time in the future the context may not be there. That is to say, one may not always be able to read what is directly above. It gets more complicated when many people post in one thread at a time and posts are submitted in the time it takes you to write your reply - then your answer has no context at all because the post "immediately above" is not what you thought you were replying to.

You will find successful forums elsewhere on the internet do not prohibit quoting the post directly above. I do agree that excessively large quotes, either with lots of text or big images, is annoying.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Swift wrote:Some people insist on quoting the previous reply in it's entirety when just answering it as the next poster would suffice.
I agree.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

As an admin I barely take any action when the previous post is quoted except where it involves a number of photos where it can become very annoying to have all the photos repeated. The aim is basically NOT to have photos included in a quote unless absolutely necessary.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “News & Administration”