[Poll] What maximum photo size would you like to see?

News and comments about this board.

What maximum photo size would you like to see?

820 pixels (existing)
9%
820 pixels (existing)
9%
900 pixels
11%
900 pixels
11%
950 pixels
8%
950 pixels
7%
1000 pixels
24%
1000 pixels
23%

Total votes: 159

Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Re: [Poll] What maximum photo size would you like to see?

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Fleet Lists wrote:From that perspective your comments are certainly true.

One concern with an increase is the amount of storage required.
I did some experimenting yesterday and found that a larger photo reduced to 1000 pixels wide takes about twice the amount of storage compared with the same photo reduced to 820 pixels wide.

Of course not every photo will be in this position but it is expected that such an increase could reduce the amount of time for which attachments remain on the system. At the current rate of additions we are expecting to start deleting the oldest attachment in November this year when the oldest one will be just a couple of days over 3 years old.
Fleet Lists, I think it may be necessary to consider in the near future the increase attachment allowance on the forum. As the quality of camera equipment improves, so does the image which in general is generally bigger in size, plus as more and more people become new members, this also increases the amount of attachments. It may be an idea to have a limit on how long an attachment is available, (I.e. 3 years) and according to the demand of the use of attachments and the increase that may occur from it, adjust the allowance/increase as necessary. Of course it'll probably mean having to pay more, but either that, or a very short term attachment cycle, which is not good for record keepers and newcomers.
MAN_LOVER wrote:How about people post QUALITY photos ...... Then we'll worry about size!
I agree Although the increase in size would be nice, there is already more than enough inadequate photos on this board with the current size, allowing a larger size will waste space of photos are of poor quality. So there's no winner really. Perhaps the admin need to be a bit more strict and for photos of poor quality that don't pose any significance should be removed. Of course consideration should be taken into account for poor quality photos that may represent "scoops" or "rare" sightings where the poster may not of been able to compose a proper photo in time, but is still of interest to others, but other general crap shots should be removed.

The biggest problem I find with all this is that members are afraid to give constructive criticism to people taking photos. For some, by just saying "nice photo" or "great selection", it may be interpreted by the poster that the quality of their photos does not need to improve and is OK as it is. WRONG, there's always room for improvement, even in my photos. And some people take offence to advise or tips given by other members, which never helps. Maybe we need a thread with tips and advice on how to take a well composed photo out in the street, taking in elements such as the type of camera and setting you use, where you stand, where you are in relation to the sun, what do you want framed in the photo etc... If the end result means a far greater quality of photos on here, I'm sure an increase to 1000pixels is well worth it.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Mr OC Benz wrote: Fleet Lists, I think it may be necessary to consider in the near future the increase attachment allowance on the forum. As the quality of camera equipment improves, so does the image which in general is generally bigger in size, plus as more and more people become new members, this also increases the amount of attachments. It may be an idea to have a limit on how long an attachment is available, (I.e. 3 years) and according to the demand of the use of attachments and the increase that may occur from it, adjust the allowance/increase as necessary. Of course it'll probably mean having to pay more, but either that, or a very short term attachment cycle, which is not good for record keepers and newcomers.
It was not so long ago that we increased the size from 2 gig to 3 gig and from the stats I have been keeping we have previously stated that we believe that we can guarantee a a time limit of 2 years. Currently we are running as stated in a previous post at 2 years and 5 months. So from that perspective we can stand some increase.

What may not have been stated that on quite a few occasions we have deleted less than satisfactory photos well before that time - ie yesterday I deleted some which were only a week old.

But thanks for your contributions which while perhaps not making our decision any easier, will give us a chance to consider some aspects which otherwise we may not have been thought of.
Living in the Shire.
drpeps
Favourite Vehicle: UQB605 & TP1044

Post by drpeps »

Mr OC Benz wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:From that perspective your comments are certainly true.

One concern with an increase is the amount of storage required.
I did some experimenting yesterday and found that a larger photo reduced to 1000 pixels wide takes about twice the amount of storage compared with the same photo reduced to 820 pixels wide.

Of course not every photo will be in this position but it is expected that such an increase could reduce the amount of time for which attachments remain on the system. At the current rate of additions we are expecting to start deleting the oldest attachment in November this year when the oldest one will be just a couple of days over 3 years old.
Fleet Lists, I think it may be necessary to consider in the near future the increase attachment allowance on the forum. As the quality of camera equipment improves, so does the image which in general is generally bigger in size, plus as more and more people become new members, this also increases the amount of attachments. It may be an idea to have a limit on how long an attachment is available, (I.e. 3 years) and according to the demand of the use of attachments and the increase that may occur from it, adjust the allowance/increase as necessary. Of course it'll probably mean having to pay more, but either that, or a very short term attachment cycle, which is not good for record keepers and newcomers.
MAN_LOVER wrote:How about people post QUALITY photos ...... Then we'll worry about size!
I agree Although the increase in size would be nice, there is already more than enough inadequate photos on this board with the current size, allowing a larger size will waste space of photos are of poor quality. So there's no winner really. Perhaps the admin need to be a bit more strict and for photos of poor quality that don't pose any significance should be removed. Of course consideration should be taken into account for poor quality photos that may represent "scoops" or "rare" sightings where the poster may not of been able to compose a proper photo in time, but is still of interest to others, but other general crap shots should be removed.

The biggest problem I find with all this is that members are afraid to give constructive criticism to people taking photos. For some, by just saying "nice photo" or "great selection", it may be interpreted by the poster that the quality of their photos does not need to improve and is OK as it is. WRONG, there's always room for improvement, even in my photos. And some people take offence to advise or tips given by other members, which never helps. Maybe we need a thread with tips and advice on how to take a well composed photo out in the street, taking in elements such as the type of camera and setting you use, where you stand, where you are in relation to the sun, what do you want framed in the photo etc... If the end result means a far greater quality of photos on here, I'm sure an increase to 1000pixels is well worth it.
Once again, Mr OC Benz has contributed well thought out and presented comments to the ATDB. I like his idea of a tips and advice thread on photo taking for the board.

I have recently upgraded my compact digital camera to a DSLR camera. This DSLR is capable of taking 4272 x 2848 pixel photographs which are about 4mb in size. For my bus photos I have reduced the resolution to 2256 x 1504 pixels, with the resulting photos being anywhere between 1.1mb to 1.7mb. Then I have used Microsoft Office's Picture Manager to resize the photos to 820 pixels wide and hope they fall under 300kb in size so that they can be uploaded to the board. I have not known whether I should take the photo at the highest resoultion my camera is cabable of then reducing it, or using an intermediate resolution before reduction. Most of the time I am connected to the internet via mobile broadband, so that makes it impractical to attach 4mb files whenever I need to send a photo by email.

It would be great if someone who has a blend of modern camera technology, picture editing, bus photography requirements and ATDB board requirements could put together a tips thread to help us mere enthusiasts who do not have all the technical bits ourselves.

drpeps
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Slightly off-topic, but just a suggestion for you, drpeps; take your photos in the highest resolution and quality settings your camera will allow - this should be saved as a RAW file on the camera (not a JPG). While it will chew up your hard drive space a bit, always keep your original. You are then free to do as manipulation as required with copies you make (including saving to JPG format) without losing your original quality and resolution. Once lost; these features are practically impossible to get back.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

That's what I was going to suggest too... Although to be honest, I have no idea what setting my camera is on, but it seems to work well. Also another thing to note: you don't have to have the world's best camera to take a good shot. It's all in the eye of the photographer, not the camera to determine how good your shot is. I've only mostly used compact cameras, although I hope maybe when I'm not continuously travelling around the world to be able to settle down and upgrade to an SLR...

Ive used up about 30GB on my hard drive for photos since I started in late 2009, although as my quality of photo improves, I have gone back and deleted out of focus or really crap photos that don't have any significance or which I have better photos of.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

We had hoped to have made a decision by tomorrow on this. However we have just found out some information about the 508 errors that we are encountering that these may be caused by the displaying of photos by users. Hence we will need to put a decision on this on hold until that is resolved. See http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 85#p804585
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

There has been some action on the 508 problem since last week but it has not as yet been possible to finalise that issue. So we will need to be patient on this issue.
Living in the Shire.
dominodc122
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Post by dominodc122 »

950px seems to be the optimum - with good pixel refresh and good detail.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

T1200 wrote:I have added some code to the proSilver theme tonight meaning that the web browser will automatically resize the image to fit within the browser window. Of course this means that the poll above is temporarily irrelevant to users of the proSilver theme, but we are just testing it to see if it causes any problems elsewhere.

I believe this solves the issue in the first reply and also the comment about viewing photos via iPhone/iPad.

More information:
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 17&t=68499
I notice that within the past week, it has reverted back to normal. Photos are not resizing to fit in the browser window, and with the maximum size of photos increase to 1000pixels, it is more difficult to view a photo on small screens again.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

This has been caused by an update to a newer level of the board software. This is being investigated and hopefully will be resolved shortly.
Living in the Shire.
T1200
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310 CNG Volgren CR228L

Post by T1200 »

I have been able to restore my photo display mod this evening. It should be back to how it was and we are taking steps to make sure the changes are not wiped out again next time the forum software is upgraded.
Reality continues to ruin my life.

Return to “News & Administration”