Bus Australia website moving to new web host

News and comments about this board.
shovelyjoe
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O 500LE

Re: Bus Australia website moving to new web host

Post by shovelyjoe »

I just got the white screen today from 2:06pm to 3:35pm - quite a long one this time. Usually for me they last around 20 to 30 minutes.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I think a lot of people must have got it, including myself, as nothing was posted during that time.
Living in the Shire.
MetroTasCatcher
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Crown Victoria P71

Post by MetroTasCatcher »

Yep, me too, was online for 2 minutes then WHITE!
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I logged on about 5.45 AM. I could get the index pages (view new posts) but not individual topics when selected. Still had the problem about 12.30pm.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

The outage from 1 to 3pm-ish was noted by many including myself.

I was in communication with the site's Tech department who cleared the forum's cache as they thought that may help. (A corrupt or incorrect file in the cache could cause problems).

If we continue to experience the white-screen issue they have further suggestions which could be of assistance. With any luck we won't need it - we'll have to wait and see though.
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

Ken wrote:The outage from 1 to 3pm-ish was noted by many including myself.

I was in communication with the site's Tech department who cleared the forum's cache as they thought that may help. (A corrupt or incorrect file in the cache could cause problems).

If we continue to experience the white-screen issue they have further suggestions which could be of assistance. With any luck we won't need it - we'll have to wait and see though.
Seems to have worked, at least as far as I'm concerned... :)
Ken

Post by Ken »

I haven't heard of any outages since then, so yes, it looks like things are on the right track :)
Happy Bus User

Post by Happy Bus User »

I've had it as well, but no outages recently which is good.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes it appears to have been resolved.
Living in the Shire.
ka9102

Post by ka9102 »

hey just wondering how long would it take to get all the old photos transferred across to the new server,thanks

I still have problems viewing some of the old photos.
transporting oranges to the world...
Ken

Post by Ken »

ka9102 wrote:hey just wondering how long would it take to get all the old photos transferred across to the new server,thanks
I'll have a look at that issue as soon as I can.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I have found 3 batches of file attachments which for some reason weren't uploaded to the new server.

I have uploaded 2 batches so far with 1 left to do. Will advise when it is done.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And while on the subject of lost photos, etc, it is now possible for me to upload photos to the gallery again and hopefully this is also the case for others. I uploaded six yesterday and will continue to upload about 5 a day until I catch up to where we should have been if this problem had not occurred.
The six uploaded yesterday concluded the March photos and from now it will be April photos.

There are still about 28 or 29 photos which have not come across - this is also still being investigated.
Living in the Shire.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I have now uploaded all the photo attachments. If there are any particular ones which aren't there let me know.
Bidgee
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7R and MAN SL202

Post by Bidgee »

Ken wrote:I was in communication with the site's Tech department who cleared the forum's cache as they thought that may help. (A corrupt or incorrect file in the cache could cause problems).
Something so simple yet is normally the last thing you think of. Problem solved. :D
Ken wrote:I have now uploaded all the photo attachments. If there are any particular ones which aren't there let me know.
All of my attachments are missing, an example. :?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Further to my previous post about lost photos from the Gallery, there were 26 photos which did not come across and which can now not be retrieved. So over the weekend I will be deleting details of those photos from the gallery. All the lost ones had file names starting with a lower case character towards the end of the alphabet and were all uploaded by myself during the rebuilding of the gallery from the various old galleries - the one from Mark V below was also uploaded by myself during that period.

There is only 1 photo (guess what Veolia m/o 8104 by Mark V) for which I have a backup copy and I will be reloading that as a new photo also over the weekend.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Of the 26, one was resolved ie a Southlink photo of 2801 leaving 25.

In addition to m/o 8104 Ken has sent me a copy of Toronto MO 1483 which will also be reuploaded in the next few days.

So I have deleted 25 photos of which 2 will be uploaded again which means we will have lost 23 photos.

The Gallery at the moment shows there are 2121 photos while my software says there 2120 so there is stil a discrepancy of one somewhere which I hope to resolve at some stage.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The descrepancy of one still related to Southlink 2801. In the old gallery there two photos of this bus, one with URL Southlink2801.jpg and the other Southlink2801.JPG - the only difference being that in one the jpg was upper case and in the other lower case.

But when they were downloaded from the old server to Ken's PC, the software thought they were one and the same and hence we now only have one Southlink2801.JPG with Southlink2801.jpg lost so in fact we will be 24 photos down from what we had after we upload the Veolia and Toronto ones on Sunday and Monday.

So hopefully that is the end of that part of the transfer problems.

Basically the problem related to the fact that it was not realised that one of the files on the old server contained more than 2000 images, including both full sized and thumbnail images. But the download sofware will only transfer 2000 images at a time and it was not realised that a second transfer was necessary.

It is believed that is also the cause of the loss of some of the attachment photos.
Living in the Shire.
Ken

Post by Ken »

A belated update on image attachments: Unfortunately any images not currently showing won't be able to be retrieved. As Fleet Lists says, this is related to servers limiting the number of files they will display to 2000 at a time. I thought I had worked around this and backed up all of the attachments (there were about 6,000 files in the attachment directory), but it appears that many have eluded me.

My apologies for this. If anyone wishes to re-upload any 'lost' images they are most welcome to do so - by either editing their original message or by reposting them as a new post.

Return to “News & Administration”