Posting Photos Of Bus Accidents ect.

News and comments about this board.
Coca Cola

Posting Photos Of Bus Accidents ect.

Post by Coca Cola »

Recently there have been a few thread started up about vehicles being in accidents/written off ect.(this is the main and there was a MetroTas thread to, since removed). It looks like, in the first thread mentioned, that it has been taken in what looks to be an STA depot (or some place along the lines), my question is, do people have the permission of STA/other companies to post these photos online?

I feel from the companies point of view that they wouldn't like one of their vehicles being posted online (for anyone to see) in such an untimely condition. They also make no reference to being allowed to post these photos online either, i feel this is the reason why the "Coming together Metro Style" thread was cleared of all photos.
Windy

Re: Posting Photos Of Bus Accidents ect.

Post by Windy »

Personally, I wouldn't post photos of a bus accident, as they do usually inadvertently cast an operator in a negative light, or will be an opportunity for negative comments to be made.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

I don't know the details of the Metro Tas pic/thread so I can't comment specifically on it.

Photos of buses in less than perfect condition are of interest to many people on this forum, hence why the thread you provide a link to was started and discussion ensued.

Photos taken inside a depot where the photographer is told to not photograph or not to place online a certain bus clearly shouldn't be posted on this forum.

Regarding the photograph linked to - I have no reason to believe it was taken without permission.

It is also worth noting that many photos of damaged buses are shown on TV, in newspapers and on news web sites.

Simply by posting a photo of a damaged bus does not automatically imply anything about the company that runs it, the driver, the chassis manufacturer etc.

Happy to hear others opinions.
Two-Way
Favourite Vehicle: Simoco SRM-9000

Post by Two-Way »

I don't agree with anything being posted of a bus that has been involved in a major accident - esp. where there has been a fatality. Sure, it might be shown on TV, but the operator may not like that either - so why post here? We are the ATDB, not the ATSB!
Would you have a look at that K-Whopper hallin' that Wriggle Wagon hes got it to the floor and looking for more!
Posts here are my opinions and thoughts only.
Coca Cola

Post by Coca Cola »

I am in no way trying to be rude here but, if you were the owner of a coach company and you saw that one of your vehicles was posted one here and it had a giant hole in the front due to an accident (regardless of who is at fault), would you be happy for it to be seen by all?

I feel that most companies would not like to see one of their vehicles in these states, it can send a bad message out to all parties (esp. if one was considering to charter a coach from said company). This could result in a loss of business if this customer was to find said photos, you find with most consumers that they will jump to the most irrational conclusion once they see a photo of a banged up bus. Most would assume that it was the drivers fault and that that companies drivers are unsafe, as well as the company.

I think it would be better if these photos were posted once the bus was repaired so there were "Before & After" shots, that could then show the consumer what pride they take in their vehicles if they are in an accident, this would still most likely lead to the same irrational conclusion though because, you still don't know how the accident happened? Just because thats what someone said (not necessarily the driver) doesn't mean it too be true, we don't need to get into the technicalities that there are CCTV's in STA buses, thats not the point.

Just because it is assumed that the photos are taken with permission does not make it true, i'm not trying to insult people but the user that posted the linked photos gave no reference as to where they were or if he had been allowed to post them online/take the photos to start with.

As for buses being shown on TV / newspaper / news websites, i would generally think that they have permission to publish the story, i wouldn't imagine a news corporation could not just publish whatever they want, whenever they want - they are not the government. Would they not need to ask for permission to publish a story about a bus that had a car run into it/it ran into a car ect.

I can remember a story coming up last year about the Brisbane City Council Mercedes-Benz O500LE [Volgren] having problems with accelerating uncontrollably (just kept on going till they couldn't go anymore), i am quite sure that if that was any old company they would not have let it go on the news, but seeing it was a council bus they want to let people know that they are taking the appropriate measures by removing the buses from service until the problem was fixed so they can win brownie points with the town residents. I think this is bad press for Mercedes-Benz though because it was a chassis electronics failure and Mercedes-Benz are the people that manufacture those systems, if there is a problem with the electronics and operators find out why would they buy a chassis from them? It just means that they would be buying an unreliable vehicle that could fail just like the others, and they would know that. On the other hand it is great for those drivers because they can be called the "Hero's" for being the ones that (should of) kept the bus under control/stopped it, i'm sure those drivers were praised for their efforts that day.

Either way comments will be made about a company because of an accident that one of their vehicles was involved in, i'm sure we all know how rumors start and then spread uncontrollably like wildfire, getting worse and worse, so why would it be any different when it comes to buses?
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

If it is out in the public realm then it will be seen by many more, especially if on a main road or the media get involved. I have to agree with Ken, there is nothing wrong with photos of damaged buses. It seems banning them will then see photos of buses broken down to be banned (As it sees the operator in a bad light by having a vehicle break down anywhere along its route or other), then photos with an incorrect destination being displayed being banned (That would be seen as incompetence of the operator of the vehicle and the company!). This list goes on and on of what can be construed as 'bad light for the operator'. When it is out in the public realm it is fair game, inside the operators own depot then that is but another story, where permission must be sought or photos kept to the persons self. However, if you cannot prove a photo was taken and posted without permission, then you have no evidence of guilt.
Coca Cola wrote: As for buses being shown on TV / newspaper / news websites, i would generally think that they have permission to publish the story, i wouldn't imagine a news corporation could not just publish whatever they want, whenever they want - they are not the government. Would they not need to ask for permission to publish a story about a bus that had a car run into it/it ran into a car ect.
Bwaha ha ha ha ha ha ha! You're kidding me right? If you have seen alot of their tripe, then I am sure you can agree they can and do.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Ken wrote: Regarding the photograph linked to - I have no reason to believe it was taken without permission.
I don't what the STA's policy might be on this. The photographer would have been at work at the time, so would have had permission to be in the area. Any photo taken in the course of his duties may be deemed to be the property of his employer, and should not be publicly distributed without permission. Such policy would not be restricted to accident damaged buses.

I do know that the police and fire brigades operate along such lines.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

Am I right in saying that we all have to be careful about what text we post in relation to the bus incident?

For example I was in a bus that was involved in an accident a few months back. The Supervisors that attended the incident did what they needed to do & before the bus left I took my photos. Now I just reported the facts.

But if I had said things along the line of "Bus 400 was the driver of this bus & he is terrible, it is his fifth accident this month. I am surprised that HP Coaches* hired him, but then again they've had quite a number of incidents lately, I've been told they cut corners with maintenance." Then 100% that post would of been deleted.

*I hope that there is no company called HP Coaches, I made the name up as my laptop is a HP.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

I have posted pics of a bus accident before and no-one got their nickers in a twist, including the STA or members on here.

If you take a pic on a public street then you are free to use it how you see fit, including posting on the net.

The problem with pics of accidents is the context of posts made by people who were not their or know what happened and just speculate.

If we are to stop posting pics of vehicles in accidents (bus/ train/ tram or whatever) then we should also stop the posting of info on accidents as text can do more harm than a photo.

I say that the poster of the pics should firstly be the photographer and have taken the pics in a public place or with permission if on private land, they should then be descerning of what pics they use, ie nothing with injured people in the shots.

The posting of accident pics can be done without causing any problems, aslong as those replying are also careful of what they say.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

I generally support Coca Cola's views that the posting of such photos is unnecessary and is more inclined to do harm to the industry/ operator concerned and consequently to their view of enthusiasts.

I can accept reposting of photos that have already apeared in mainstream media and are therefore already "out there" but see no good reason for enthusiasts (supposedly supporters of the industry) to be generating such material.

None of the enthusiast magazines feature such photos other than in very historical context (eg DGT bus in the harbour from 40-50 years ago) and that's the way I believe it should be on here as well.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Come on ,it's not like a photo of a corpse.It's a vehicle and there is nothing wrong with taking your own pics to show others.It's justr like anything else of interest.

If it's in a public place and there is nothing prohibiting you legally,you are free to photograph it and post it on a forum if you wish.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
150Yrs

Post by 150Yrs »

Should last word in subject heading "ect" read "etc" ?
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

It should yes.

However, most people have more important things to concern themselves with.
Job done.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I can remember a few years back, that if one of the major interstate operators' coaches was involved in an accident, the first staff member to attend would have a spray can of black paint to make sure all the names were obscured before the ghoulish press arrived.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

I've heard a similar story about crashes of bitumen trucks. (Apparently the normal procedure for the load in such a crash is to ignite, so they're not good publicity.)

gld
JJTheDriver

Post by JJTheDriver »

Quite often the towies used to cover up the name on the side with plastic/ 100mph tape as well, obviously at the request of the company involved, and no doubt a few pasos changed hands as well
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE HERE CALL 0499 385958
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

boronia wrote:I can remember a few years back, that if one of the major interstate operators' coaches was involved in an accident, the first staff member to attend would have a spray can of black paint to make sure all the names were obscured before the ghoulish press arrived.
That would be a bit tricky if your buses were painted, say, BRIGHT RED...

Daz.
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
Kitare

Post by Kitare »

Im of the opinion that if it is presented as nothing more than news, and the photo is of a factual nature, then it is news and it should be allowed to be posted.

Its the mindless speculation and innuendo presented by some that is the issue, not the photo itself.
SO YOU THINK KIM KARDASHIAN CAN DANCE? THE FRIDAY *** ** * RETURNS THIS WEEK!!!
Lemon
Favourite Vehicle: Reno PR100.3 (107/108/990/991)

Post by Lemon »

I think that the posting of accidents is okay but the speculation that follows after is just stupid. The best way to avoid this would be to have a moderator lock the thread or to see if there is some sort of feature that allows the member posting to tick something off (ie, a post icon) which will lock that thread.
One of the last member of the General public to set foot in Belconnen Interchange, 24 May 2009
"Even if it's free, I'm not buying it"_'Irisbus Rider'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zacmathes

Return to “News & Administration”