Moderating Posts of New Members

News and comments about this board.
Windy

Re: Moderating Posts of New Members

Post by Windy »

Why don't you go search his posts and compare them with yours? The quality is beyond comparison! No doubt if he was moderated, he'd be off moderation way before you...
Coca Cola

Post by Coca Cola »

Windy wrote:Why don't you go search his posts and compare them with yours? The quality is beyond comparison! No doubt if he was moderated, he'd be off moderation way before you...
the quality is far from the point of this subject. You said, and i quote
Windy wrote:On top of that, any new members also have their posts moderated for 6 months, or for the first, say, 50 posts they make.
You noticed the any part of that, why is he except? He hasn't reached 50 posts, nor has he reached 6 months either. Your basically saying, if i deem you acceptable you are no longer within the "New Members Moderation Scheme." How is this not discrimination? Just because you like him he gets special treatment, thats definitely unfair.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

@Coca Cola

Where do you get the idea that if windy gets along with someone new or likes them that they will be excempt from any moderating of new members, windy is not an admin or moderator so has no power to authorise anyone from being involved.

He is simply saying that Two-Way is at a level where he would only need to be in the moderation group for whatever the minimum time will be where thee are others that may take longer before they get the idea of how to behave on here.

Windy (as anyone here) is entitled to his opinion and free to post it aslong as he is not attacking anyone or trolling, just like you are free to express your opinion.

The starting of this post was just for a suggestion on how to help improve the quality of this site and the posts on here, I agree with windy that a "moderation period" or "trial period"if that sounds better is good for new members but I think it should involve all new members no matter what age.

Instead of taking this idea on as an attack on you try take it as a way to help improve things for not only us or yourself but future members down the track.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

The old saying goes "Don't judge a book by it's cover".

This saying relates to what is being discussed here. Just because your join date is recent doesn't therefore mean you are a "new member" among us. Two-Way happens to have been on the board for a while now.
Coca Cola

Post by Coca Cola »

The Inspector wrote:Where do you get the idea that if windy gets along with someone new or likes them that they will be excempt from any moderating of new members, windy is not an admin or moderator so has no power to authorise anyone from being involved.

He is simply saying that Two-Way is at a level where he would only need to be in the moderation group for whatever the minimum time will be where thee are others that may take longer before they get the idea of how to behave on here.
Yes i know he is not a moderator, he is making it sound like he should judge weather or not you do go on the scheme or not. How is that fair towards anyone?
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

I think you are misreading Windy. He is merely putting forward an idea for discussion. Ultimately, the admins will decide whether the scheme goes ahead or not...and if yes, how it sould operate.
tonyw
Favourite Vehicle: Bus

Post by tonyw »

Oh dear, oh dear, it saddens me to see this debate continuing.

We live in a free speech democratic society. This is (currently at least) a PUBLIC forum.

It is sooooo simple. If you don't like what is posted dont' read it or respond to it.

If you are not interested in the thread or the board, don't read it.

Why is it any more complicated than that?

And if you want a 'private, serious' forum create it, or if it already exists use it and keep it secret from the rest of us ...
Coca Cola

Post by Coca Cola »

Eratik wrote:I think you are misreading Windy. He is merely putting forward an idea for discussion. Ultimately, the admins will decide whether the scheme goes ahead or not...and if yes, how it sould operate.
By his previous posts i do not think i'm misreading at all. I think that if the admins/mods do start up this program they should be the ones that decide the rules for it, not a registered user.
Two-Way
Favourite Vehicle: Simoco SRM-9000

Post by Two-Way »

I made my comment knowing that the moderation period would mean I'd be on moderation. I don't mind - I've got nothing to hide.
Would you have a look at that K-Whopper hallin' that Wriggle Wagon hes got it to the floor and looking for more!
Posts here are my opinions and thoughts only.
Connex
Favourite Vehicle: XT 853M-1627T-854M

Post by Connex »

tonyw wrote:We live in a free speech democratic society. This is (currently at least) a PUBLIC forum.
Actually, it's not a public forum. Anything with registration means you accept the private terms in which the administrators have written, which can be legally binding, make the board a private forum.

Yes, we do live in a society where free-speech and democracy is a right. But, everything that is posted in this forum must comply with the laws of the land.

The legal statement put in the board's guidelines states that everything posted on this board is on the onus of the author and that the board hold's no responsibility for the author's message.
tonyw wrote:It is sooooo simple. If you don't like what is posted dont' read it or respond to it.

It's not the issue of not having to look at forums. It's about removing the forums where anti-social behaviour, such as personal attacks, is inherent. By removing these forums, we remove a large section of the problem regarding such behaviour, as an environment where it has been fostered in no longer exists.

It's really quite simple. If you have something to hide, if you don't want to comply with the board guidelines, then don't press "Accept" when registering.
Metcard. Your ticket to Melbourne.
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

Flinders Flyer wrote:It's not the issue of not having to look at forums. It's about removing the forums where anti-social behaviour, such as personal attacks, is inherent. By removing these forums, we remove a large section of the problem regarding such behaviour, as an environment where it has been fostered in no longer exists.
Why can't the problem starters be kicked out? If I attacked Mr Member I would expect to be kicked out. Woopdy do if they hate som of us forever,
shovelyjoe
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O 500LE

Post by shovelyjoe »

Windy wrote:Why don't you go search his posts and compare them with yours? The quality is beyond comparison! No doubt if he was moderated, he'd be off moderation way before you...
Coca Cola wrote:You noticed the any part of that, why is he except? He hasn't reached 50 posts, nor has he reached 6 months either. Your basically saying, if i deem you acceptable you are no longer within the "New Members Moderation Scheme." How is this not discrimination? Just because you like him he gets special treatment, thats definitely unfair.
I think Windy is implying that the moderation period should be flexible and that the admins and moderators can shorten or extend the moderation period depending on the user's posts and general behavior on the forums. So an admin or moderator might deem a user not ready to get off moderation even after the 50 posts or the 6 months, and maybe vice versa.
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

tonyw wrote: It is sooooo simple. If you don't like what is posted dont' read it or respond to it.

Why is it any more complicated than that?
Its not that simple, there may be a thread where you have an interest and been participating in when all of a sudden a inapropriate, il-informed or childish response is posted and ruins the discussion that has already got a following. How are we meant to avoid these posts that pop in un-expected, should we just give up on a topic we have an interest in or try to sort it out and bring it back to a relevant level?

There are times when a decent thread is hijacked by nothing but dribble and comes from a younger group that are still learning about the industry but also need to learn some restraint from what they post.

Moderating will help as its not going to stop them posting but before their post is submited and admin/ moderator can look at it and help suggest a better way to right what they want to say so as not to stir up a issue.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
KingsXI

Post by KingsXI »

The Inspector wrote: There are times when a decent thread is hijacked by nothing but dribble and comes from a younger group that are still learning about the industry but also need to learn some restraint from what they post.
Due to the amount of crap - couldn't think of another word, thought for 2 mins on this - that people under-18 receive on this fourm, I am surprised that those people don't think twice before. It has taken me a long time just to think out the first sentence just thinking about what to write so I don't offend anyone :| .
I first joined this forum with a different account. No one knew who I was and I preferred it stayed that way. I was treated with respect by members of the board. People saw that I had just joined and saw this to be a sign that they would try and answer my questions no matter how obvious and there was never a hint of sarcasm in there note. As stated before, the posts were interesting back with a huge amount of information. On any given day, upto 20/25 new interesting discussions would start in the Sydney/NSW section of the forum.
I saw that the posts had become less and less interesting and so I eventually stopped posting and visiting the website. I joined again because I wanted a new name and to just start with an account where I would reveal more about myself. That was my mistake. In the last 3-4 months, I have seen the forum becoming more 'feral' with a people having a negative attitude towards people under-18.
I have been thinking about going back to my old account because:
1. the negative attitude to school students
2. the negative attitude towards people who have joined in March of this year or at a later date
I agree with people that there is an increase in the amount of rubbish that is posted on this forum but the attitude of some people is such that their posts discriminate against school children which I believe is against the rules of the forum - correct me if i'm wrong which I may be.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Personally I don't have any problem with what you have had to post, so therefore I can't say that I've ever had a need to have a negative attitude toward you. I am happy that you think before you post, as considered and thoughtful posts are usually going to cause the least offence and facilitate discussion. There are other younger members who I am aware of who also fall into the same category.

Note that it was one of your cohort who decided to crash this forum because of pettiness, stupidity and childishness. No doubt this will have led to further negativity towards younger members, or the more feral element at least.
Rick R

Post by Rick R »

I agree with your comment about thinking before you post Windy. If anyone is really upset at what someone has said and wants to post a response, they should hit 'Preview', walk away from the computer for a couple of minutes and re-read their post with a cooler head before hitting 'Submit'. Even better, draft a response in Notepad and wait till the next morning before re-reading and sending.

The tone of this Board has indeed deteriorated in the past couple of years, and a majority of those submitting 'bad' posts have indeed been from those of school age, but there are also some here who left school decades ago. It's more a case of people learning than people being 'bad', so some form of moderation with positive feedback from others here would be the best solution.

I am in favour of:
- Moderation for all new users for a period of at least 1 month, up until the Admins and Moderators are happy with the new user. Admins/Mods should (where possible) provide feedback to the new user on how they are going,
- Corrective moderation of any existing users who breach board guidelines, up until the Admins and Moderators are happy with the user again,
- Banning users who just don't get the message.

We need to encourage bus enthusiasts to become involved, and this board is a good way to bring new people in. There is an oportunity for new users here to learn social skills and etiquite which they need in the modern world, such as sending high quality emails, not just typing out whatever comes into their head and just hitting 'Send'.
Enjoy.
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

Hmmm. This is getting serious!

Please, lets stop with the name calling, personal attacks and various jibber-jabber.

I think that it's unfair to blame the younger users on what is happening here. For one thing, like anything, some people get tired of telling the world about what is going on within their transport-related life. Especially when there are some individuals on here that make totally off-topic comments and make the original poster sigh and wonder why he bothered to post it in the first place. But that is not necesarily the young ones.

Personally and naming names, I would much rather have Mr. "Coca-Cola" come on here and create threads like "Autobus" looking for genuine information than have Mr. "busrider" asking me whether or not I think soya beans are 'yum or yuck' (but then in saying that a good few of us are guilty of making a post or two there). No offence intended of course.

I don't think that there's any particular reason people have stopped posting on here, more a combination of factors.

There are just too many ears on here at the moment to post any meaty or juicy stuff. It's simply too cut throat to let go any industry secrets or trade information as there is a lot to lose for a company; a bad rumour or reputation for a small company could be fatal. I was certainly unaware of the amount of people that look on here, and certain (in retrospect) stupid comments I've made have potentially cost me and my career in the industry. Even though I had permission to do it, I was virtually tied, gagged and beaten then shot several times for the photos and video I put up of the BBL Fuji. Why? Because that was inside information, and had the potential to be mis-interpereted and seen as negative by the wider community. Even certain things I've posted about my current employer I have removed, because in retrospect there was the chance for it to be mis-interpereted and bring us issues.

Maybe some people don't realise that there are signifigant transport-industry figures that browse this forum such as drivers, operations staff, managers, owners and even CEO's of massive Aussie passenger transport companies. There is a 'representitive' if you will from virtually every bus and coach company in Australia on this board; someone who works for that company and acts as an ambassador for them (yes, even Crisps : -P ). This board is a lot more well know than you might think. Do the intials KBL, BBL, CBL, CCC, AAT, BCC, DOG, WCC, MGBS mean anything to you? I KNOW FOR A FACT that owners and managers of at least four of those Brisbane(ish)-based companies are regular guests on this board. If they find anything about them on here, they will most likely be offended by it and the offender will be disciplined meaning a lot of drivers are very reluctant to post a good answer with any specific current company information.

The other thing I think should be pointed out is that this is a very small industry and a lot of people know (or at least think) they know it all about the next person in it. Any little scerrick of news spreads like wildfire. The problem is that not much is happening at the moment! We're all kind of on a level playing field, very few people are buying or selling. Well, maybe they are but it's all kept so hush-hush because no-one wants to give the opposition a head-start by pulicly displaying their intentions as a company.

Just a few thoughts. Yes, I've had 24 different usernames (mostly because of language and style rather than content), but I also work in deep within the heart of the industry and know what these people are like. They simply don't want their company information publicly displayed for the chance of negative rumours starting (or maybe just information that could give other operators more knowledge about you than they should have). There have been so many threads dipping into dangerous territory recently, I think it's just going to take some time and discression by some users (myself included) and the true informative posts will return. I think banning that games room is not going to be good, because it does keep the number of posts up and it also gets people who would get bored with the pure transport stuff to stay.

Daz.
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

dazisstillback wrote:Personally and naming names, I would much rather have Mr. "Coca-Cola" come on here and create threads like "Autobus" looking for genuine information than have Mr. "busrider" asking me whether or not I think soya beans are 'yum or yuck' (but then in saying that a good few of us are guilty of making a post or two there). No offence intended of course.
Well, Mr "dazisstillback", if you're going to put it that way, then I feel an urge to do this...
Re: Rate the set of the person above you

by Coca Cola on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:21 pm
MetroTasCatcher wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:23 pm
MetroTasCatcher wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:29 pm
Coca Cola wrote:
MetroTasCatcher wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:43 pm
Coca Cola wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:02 pm
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 pm
Coca Cola wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:34 pm
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:10 pm
Coca Cola wrote:
MetroTasCatcher wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

I can't wait for busrider to see this
(and heaps more of posts like this)

Then I, as a moderator, try and clean it up a bit and remove over a page full of these posts by CC and another user.

by Coca Cola on Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:21 pm
Coca Cola wrote:
MetroTasCatcher wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

I think busrider turned up too soon
It keeps going though...
Re: Rate the mum of the person above you

by Coca Cola on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:45 pm
Ok we'll start this again, seeing busrider has given up completely

A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION
And etc, etc, etc... If you're going to compare 2 people in that way, do it a bit more fairly. There's a fairly good reason for me having quite a few posts in TGC. I moderate the bloody thing! Or try to, anyway. :roll:
Daz
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage

Post by Daz »

I'm sorry I used you as an example; probably didn't think that far enough through. My point is, sometimes he actually asks really really good questions while others are on here purely for the games.

Going back to my previous posts, generally speaking I think the type of users who post informatively in the discussion boards are not going to post or even browse through the games. That's another reason to leave it there; the kiddies are going to pop those threads in somewhere; it might as well be in a corner where they can do what they want. It's clear from the outside what a user might expect to find inside so if they don't want to look at it, they don't go in!

Daz.
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
MetroTasCatcher
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Crown Victoria P71

Post by MetroTasCatcher »

dazisstillback wrote:(but then in saying that a good few of us are guilty of making a post or two there).
:| Look away Isaac, look away. C'mon, I was young, and stupid :lol: :roll:
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Coca Cola

Post by Coca Cola »

busrider wrote:
dazisstillback wrote:Personally and naming names, I would much rather have Mr. "Coca-Cola" come on here and create threads like "Autobus" looking for genuine information than have Mr. "busrider" asking me whether or not I think soya beans are 'yum or yuck' (but then in saying that a good few of us are guilty of making a post or two there). No offence intended of course.
Well, Mr "dazisstillback", if you're going to put it that way, then I feel an urge to do this...

by Coca Cola on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:21 pm
MetroTasCatcher wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:23 pm
MetroTasCatcher wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:29 pm
Coca Cola wrote:
MetroTasCatcher wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:43 pm
Coca Cola wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:02 pm
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 pm
Coca Cola wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:34 pm
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

by Coca Cola on Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:10 pm
Coca Cola wrote:
MetroTasCatcher wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

I can't wait for busrider to see this
(and heaps more of posts like this)

Then I, as a moderator, try and clean it up a bit and remove over a page full of these posts by CC and another user.

by Coca Cola on Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:21 pm
Coca Cola wrote:
MetroTasCatcher wrote:
A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION

I think busrider turned up too soon
It keeps going though...
Re: Rate the mum of the person above you

by Coca Cola on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:45 pm
Ok we'll start this again, seeing busrider has given up completely

A - MINUS ONE MILLION

S - MINUS ONE MILLION
And etc, etc, etc... If you're going to compare 2 people in that way, do it a bit more fairly. There's a fairly good reason for me having quite a few posts in TGC. I moderate the bloody thing! Or try to, anyway. :roll:
This is not personal attack towards you, but, have you noticed that i have quoted MetroTasCatcher a majority of those times.
My Posts wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
Notice anything in-common with the posts you quoted and what i just said.

You played-along with a majority of those posts, replying to them in a fun and joyful way. Now you are just throwing them back at me because it suits you. You could tell that i didn't like the fact that you were changing some of my posts to direct them at you, yet you continued to do so anyway and gave me no noticed that you didn't like them (other than the fact that you were changing them). All you are doing in this thread is targeting me because of some things that i have done in "your" section, you might not have noticed yet but i'm not the only one that participated in the crap that goes on in your threads, MetroTasCatcher is just as prominent i am/was (just for examples sake, nothing personal).

Yes i will admit, my first post in this thread was a little uncalled for but to be brutally honest - sending a user a PM doesn't achieve anything, the person doesn't change there attitude towards anything (incl. you).
dazisstillback wrote:I'm sorry I used you as an example; probably didn't think that far enough through. My point is, sometimes he actually asks really really good questions while others are on here purely for the games. Daz.
Thanks Daz. On top of "Autobus" (which i didn't find out much on, some good info though) i have posted question about "Murrays Coaches" (which turned out to be a complete screw-up), "Leyland Comet" (that vehicle is so old i wouldn't expect anyone to know anything about it though), "Scania Opticruise" (didn't really get what i asked for, just what i already knew), "Bova Vehicles" (was OK to start with, died off far to fast though), "Daewoo 14.3m Super Mover [Chiron]" (no concrete stats provided but i wasn't heart broken), "[Photo Request] Bustech "Graduate"/SBV" (exactly what i wanted to know was posted), "Caterpillars Withdrawal" (didn't tell me much but still good to get responses) and my very first post "Why isn't this company on the Fleetlists' Page?" (Its an honest question, i didn't know about the workings of fleetlists' and who kept them intact/how anything worked regarding them). A majority of which you have posted in, i am thankful for your answers because they are fun to read and add humour to some somewhat humorless sections of the board. I don't see why you have had 24 different usernames though.

I am as guilty as the next person for posting crap about a company (bad crap not good crap) and i am sorry for doing so, it ended up that one entire thread had been deleted. I have rubbed some people the wrong way, i am sorry for doing that also. I have insulted people in topics, i am sorry for doing that as well. But i must also say, people have been rude to me, people have offended me, people have written personal attacks towards me. Some of these people i have tried to be nice to, then there are also the people that you have been nice to and they just can't be bothered to reply to a PM but aye what can you do - its there choice whether or not they reply, not mine.

As you might have noticed a majority of my threads posted have been with a general interest in the topic, some end up turning into XXX storms, then there are ones that never get informative replies.

None of this message should be taken as person attack, if so you are taking it the wrong way (read it again if that is the case).
Windy

Post by Windy »

That's great, but this isn't the thread for it...
Coca Cola

Post by Coca Cola »

Windy wrote:That's great, but this isn't the thread for it...
Thanks for the useless comment, you obviously don't get what i am trying to say. I am saying that i have posted several questions on here that are legitimate, bus enthusiast based and you are all just blaming me for stuff that i have done in sections where it doesn't matter.

You seem to think that you are the best of the best and think that you should set the rules for how things go on in the ATDB, thats alright if you think that, just don't express what your thinking here. I have noticed every time someone says something that you don't like you just start up with personal attack towards that person, just like what you said towards Albatross...
Windy wrote:I think it would be safe to say that everything that you uttered from your mouth on the Hillsbus Dural tour and on the bus to Custom Coaches was pretty much useless. It certainly didn't shift the orbit of my world in any direction. Therefore I don't think you should consider yourself an authority on what is useful or useless.
Why do you posses the right to judge what is useless or what is not either? You are just attacking him because he may or may not have said some stupid things on a bus tour (which has nothing to do with BA) and you are just throwing it back at him, maybe he was nervous because he was around some new people, maybe he was trying to fit in and make some new friends - weather or not he succeeded in that is not of my knowledge but he can say whatever he wants and you shouldn't hold it against him because it is not your right to.

Maybe you should go on this probational period if it is introduced, due to your personal attack towards people and your rude comments. Just because you thought of it doesn't mean you can't go on it.

I am sticking up for myself in this situation and will continue to do so! I also think i'm saying what everyone else is to chicken to say themselves.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Clearly comprehension, grammar and literacy are not your strong points. Your current discussion is WAY OFF TOPIC Kindly cease and desist from cluttering up this thread with your crying. Create your own thread in the general discussion section.
Coca Cola

Post by Coca Cola »

Windy wrote:Clearly comprehension, grammar and literacy are not your strong points. Your current discussion is WAY OFF TOPIC Kindly cease and desist from cluttering up this thread with your crying. Create your own thread in the general discussion section.
Do you get pleasure from posting personal attack towards me about the comprehension/grammar/literacy that i use. Not everyone is perfect if you didn't know.
Board Guidelines wrote:- Please respect other users and their opinions. Each person has their own opinions, and these opinions must be respected. Do not denigrate/belittle/abuse/harass someone simply because they have a different opinion to you.
- Do not post a message to correct the spelling/grammatical errors of another person or to say how irrelevant, boring, childish or stupid you think a subject or person's comments are.

Return to “News & Administration”