Victoria Fleet list Disaster.

News and comments about this board.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Victoria Fleet list Disaster.

Post by Fleet Lists »

We appear to have lost a large part of the Victorian fleet lists at about 6pm today.

Everything for operator codes beyond SEY has gone and for code SEY everything beyond 0716AO. It appears that this bus had just been updated and then updating was taking place on SEY 0720AO.

It is suspected that some simultaneous updating was taking place on a Ventura bus (possibly 1761AO) and that the software could not handle this.

It does not look good at the moment.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Victoria Fleet list Disaster.

Post by Fleet Lists »

The lost section has been restored as at 14th June 2009. This means that any updates done since then will not show at this stage.

But I hope to recover those changes tomorrow.

Unfortunately I misssed out doing a backup this week.

Also the new list for Wynne's Coaches, Maffra, Vic can not be restored.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

But now the big question arises - How can I stop this in future, Ihad always suspoected there could be a problem if two people updated at the same time but I not expected this sort of thing.

So far I have not found anything that can tell me that one person is updating so that I can suspend the second update until the first update is complete.

Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Unfortunately this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as my fleet list enthousiasm is concerned.
Living in the Shire.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

It might help to (I know there would be alot of files) but split up the Updates.php file into like qld-updates.php and so on? Would that help?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Somehow I do not think so. It is a more basic problem.
Living in the Shire.
gen man
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Worldmaster CRT2/1

Post by gen man »

Fleet Lists wrote:But now the big question arises - How can I stop this in future, Ihad always suspoected there could be a problem if two people updated at the same time but I not expected this sort of thing.

So far I have not found anything that can tell me that one person is updating so that I can suspend the second update until the first update is complete.

Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Unfortunately this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as my fleet list enthousiasm is concerned.
This probably wouldn't have happened if the updating of the Victorian lists was left to one person. However, now we have two other people stuffing up everything!!! :evil:
need red GA:521, 831.
AAT-Kings:
2014 - Year of Privatisation!
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Queensland has two, BusPicsQLD and Myself and it hasn't stuffed up so far. Who is the 2nd person?
MAN 16.242
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200

Post by MAN 16.242 »

Hornibrook wrote:Queensland has two, BusPicsQLD and Myself and it hasn't stuffed up so far. Who is the 2nd person?
In addition to Gen Man, Me and Mercedes do updates to some fleet lists.
MAN 16.242

Post by MAN 16.242 »

gen man wrote:This probably wouldn't have happened if the updating of the Victorian lists was left to one person. However, now we have two other people stuffing up everything!!! :evil:
No need to get so angry, what’s wrong with more than one person updating fleet lists for a state :?: :?:
It can more fleet lists be up to date :roll: :roll:
Me and Mercedes have help do some updates to the Vic fleet lists, what’s wrong with that.
What is wrong with more than one person updating fleet lists for a state, what you'd rather have no help whatsoever :?: :?:
Queensland has two people updating fleet lists and it seems to work.
Connex
Favourite Vehicle: XT 853M-1627T-854M

Post by Connex »

I just ran 1761AO, which is NBC #704, through the Fleet Lists search, and it came up with a long series of updates that took place on 01/07/09.

It appears that the individual buses have been updated, but the actual list itself hasn't.
Metcard. Your ticket to Melbourne.
gen man
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Worldmaster CRT2/1

Post by gen man »

MAN 16.242 wrote:
gen man wrote:This probably wouldn't have happened if the updating of the Victorian lists was left to one person. However, now we have two other people stuffing up everything!!! :evil:
No need to get so angry, what’s wrong with more than one person updating fleet lists for a state :?: :?:
It can more fleet lists be up to date :roll: :roll:
Me and Mercedes have help do some updates to the Vic fleet lists, what’s wrong with that.
What is wrong with more than one person updating fleet lists for a state, what you'd rather have no help whatsoever :?: :?:
Queensland has two people updating fleet lists and it seems to work.
The QLD section probably works because the new person has consulted the original fleet list updater, which has never been the case with yourself & Mercedes!!! You & Mercedes just continue to take over & stab me in the back, I hope you're satisfied!!!
need red GA:521, 831.
AAT-Kings:
2014 - Year of Privatisation!
MAN 16.242

Post by MAN 16.242 »

gen man wrote:
The QLD section probably works because the new person has consulted the original fleet list updater, which has never been the case with yourself & Mercedes!!! You & Mercedes just continue to take over & stab me in the back, I hope you're satisfied!!!
So what you'd rather we consult with you ever time we plan to do updates :?:
Last edited by MAN 16.242 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

Personally, from an observers point of view, I think one person should be enough, and failing that, if two people, that they should have defined areas of responsibility, and make sure they communicate.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
MAN 16.242

Post by MAN 16.242 »

RailwayBus wrote:Personally, from an observers point of view, I think one person should be enough, and failing that, if two people, that they should have defined areas of responsibility, and make sure they communicate.
I only started doing fleet lists to help out, as I could see some things were starting to get out of date.
MAN 16.242

Post by MAN 16.242 »

gen man wrote:The QLD section probably works because the new person has consulted the original fleet list updater, which has never been the case with yourself & Mercedes!!! You & Mercedes just continue to take over & stab me in the back, I hope you're satisfied!!!
If we consulted with you better, would you be happy for us to more updates :?: :?:
Or would still want no help with the fleet lists :?:
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

I didn't really consult with BPQ, yes we arranged specific lists to touch or don't touch by I already had experience with the scripting used - being PHP.

Maybe you should sort out which lists you will control like I have the rest of Queensland and BPQ has Brisbane North bar Hornibrook.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Hornibrook,
That is NOT the point. It does not matter who controls what in a particular state, this problem will arise if two people happen to update simultaneously.

Now getting away from the politics of it all

As far as I can see in the php documentation the flock (file lock) statement should sove this problem. I have inserted it in a test version of the update script but it is not doing what I had expected to do when run in conjunction with a small script I wrote to lock the file before the update script got to it.

Hence I amended the small script to see what would happen if I ran it simultaneously in IE and Firefox and unfortunately again the results were not what I had hoped for. Here is the script as it stands at the moment.As far as I can see I have coded it the way the php documentation says it shoudl be done.

<?php
$fpx = fopen("nsw-fleet.txt", "w");

if (flock($fpx, LOCK_EX)) {echo "????";}
else echo "1234";

sleep ("10");
?>
It is available at http://www.busaustralia.com/fleetlists/ ... stlock.php

The first program started should lock the file and then go to sleep for 10 seconds echoing ????. The second one started should find the file locked and then echo 1234 and then go to sleep for 10 seconds.

The first one was OK as it echoed ???? and stopped after 10 seconds. But the second one also echoed ???? and went for 20 seconds so instead of dropping through the lock test, it just waited for 10 seconds for the file to become available and then went to sleep for the 10 seconds.

Which means I can not take the special action I want to take if the update script finds the file locked.

Any help would be appreciated.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Even though I do not have the flock function working the way I would like it, I have implemented it in the Update script in such a way that hopefully it will prevent such things as happened last happening again. But I would still like to know why it is not quite working the way I had expected.

I have also brought the Ventura list as up to date as I could.

Hopefully the same will happen with other operators over the next few days.

I have a couple of other fixes to put into the update scripts so I dont think I will be doing any more conversions from the old to the new format now until after the 11th July after I had a few days away from the keyboard.

The previous version of the update script was rather unique as it lasted for nearly 12 months - it was dated 18/7/2008 - the one just implemented will not last as long as hopefully the other fixes will go in before I go away.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I was out most of the day today but since coming back home I have reinstated the lost Seymour changes - hence the two lists involved in the problem should now be up to date.

I will get stuck into the rest of them over the weekend.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “News & Administration”