Possible Amendments to Board Guidelines - Photo Limitations

News and comments about this board.
T1200
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310 CNG Volgren CR228L

Possible Amendments to Board Guidelines - Photo Limitations

Post by T1200 »

With recent changes to the board software, and changes to the specifications of computers and internet connections available since this board was created, we are interested in hearing your suggestions for possible amendments to the Board Guidelines.

We already have a certain idea of what we might like to change, but would like some feedback before we make changes. An attempt will be made to respond to as many suggestions in this thread as possible.

One thing possibly on the cards could be to increase the width limit for photos, and also allow more photos to be posted in one thread. Any constructive responses will be appreciated.
Reality continues to ruin my life.
MAN NG313
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NG313's

Re: Possible Amendments to Board Guidelines

Post by MAN NG313 »

How about having a limit of 10 pictures per thread? Therefore people can post more pictures, but not too many to make the page slow to load (I do have broadband, but having an obscene amount of photos still takes a while for all to load).

Just my 2 cents.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

MAN NG313 wrote:How about having a limit of 10 pictures per thread?
I personally agree with this suggestion. The number of users without broadband is very small and not being able to view bus pics would be the least of their problems with being on a dialup connection.

Another thing that the board guidelines need to be amended to is to clearly spell out some of the new capabilities of the board and how we will use them. One example is that we now have the ability to 'moderate' users posts - i.e. a user can post a message but it is not visible to readers until approved by an admin/moderator. This is a better alternative to banning a user in certain circumstances and has already been implemented in a couple of cases.
TP 3000
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310

Post by TP 3000 »

Ken wrote:One example is that we now have the ability to 'moderate' users posts - i.e. a user can post a message but it is not visible to readers until approved by an admin/moderator. This is a better alternative to banning a user in certain circumstances and has already been implemented in a couple of cases.
Would this only be done to those who have been naughty? As sometimes there can be lots of posts in an hour & this would take up your time. It may sound like a whinge but I do agree with it & I have been put on warning.
Payback is a bitch, but is fun to watch.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

The screen I usually view ATBD on has a resolution of 1280x1024, therefore using the subsilver2 Board style, the maximum photo width without scroll bars would be approx 1000pixels wide - thus I personally wouldn't be keen for it to be OK for photos any wider to be the norm.

For example, the following photo at 1000pixels fits well with my screen resolution.

My concern about increasing the photo count would be one of quality vs quantity; however I'm in favour of the limit of 5 being increased, especially where additional photos within the thread and value to the topic. An example would be the recent thread of Adelaide B&W photos which now contains 7 photos.
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
T1200
Administrator

Post by T1200 »

Well my resolution is 1440x900 and I am in favour of increasing both the width limit of photos to 1024px as well as increasing the number limit to 10.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Does anyone use Internet Explorer with a small screen size and is the above pic fitted with scroll bars or made smaller so it doesn't make every message in the thread too wide to read?

I know Firefox doesn't deal properly with oversized pics, but those using Firefox would mainly be the 'computer gunzels' who have a good size screen. If IE can deal OK with oversize pics for those with older/smaller monitors then I would be all for increasing the pic width to 1024.
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

Ken wrote: I know Firefox doesn't deal properly with oversized pics, but those using Firefox would mainly be the 'computer gunzels' who have a good size screen. If IE can deal OK with oversize pics for those with older/smaller monitors then I would be all for increasing the pic width to 1024.
How about computer gunzels using firefox a laptop? I have to scroll across for the image in this thread. I think that 800 should be the pix width. However, I do agree with having 10 images per thread, even though I do use dialup occasionally.
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
Ken

Post by Ken »

TP 3000 wrote:Would this only be done to those who have been naughty?
Of course. We don't do it for fun.

It has only been implemented on 1 or 2 users from memory (not you that I'm aware of) who, for example, have ignored repeated requests not to talk about off-topic matters in threads completely unrelated to the subject matter they are posting.
Ken

Post by Ken »

howlerbus wrote:How about computer gunzels using firefox a laptop? I have to scroll across for the image in this thread. I think that 800 should be the pix width. However, I do agree with having 10 images per thread, even though I do use dialup occasionally.
Thats why I posted the message, so we can ascertain opinions of users such as yourself who may be affected.

If someone has time they might want to check and post here what the photo limits are on some of the rail enthusiast sites such as Railpage, Railmedia, Vicsig.
Windy

Re: Possible Amendments to Board Guidelines - Photo Limitations

Post by Windy »

I would be happy if the thread limit is increased, because it means that any trips I take, can be documented without the tedium of making 9 or 10 posts when that could be halved.
jb17kx
Favourite Vehicle: Irisbus Agoraline

Post by jb17kx »

I use Firefox on a fixed screen resolution of 1024x768 - so ordinarily 720px will be widest that can fit inline in a post without scrolling.

Oddly enough, that's only a problem in Firefox 2. Firefox 3 seems to resize the image to fit the page easily...
Selected artistic and gunzel photos from my collection - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb17kx
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Post by kitkat271 »

Good idea to increase photo limit to 10.
TransitBris
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by TransitBris »

Would 2272x1704 be a bit too big??? As thats the size on my computer straight from my camera without any cropping? :wink:
Scania pride 8)
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by CB80 »

I think the size limitations are fine. Raising the photo limit to 10 is a very good idea, however.
davemail66
Favourite Vehicle: E2123

Post by davemail66 »

I like the idea of raising the photo limit to 10 max instead of the current five 8)
Proud to be a Sunshine Coaster...........
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Before considering changing the size & limits, wouldn't it be best to workout a state-by-state, or sub-fourm for the photo/video section first?
Ken wrote:Does anyone use Internet Explorer with a small screen size and is the above pic fitted with scroll bars or made smaller so it doesn't make every message in the thread too wide to read?
I'm using Internet Explorer (IE) at the moment. I'm in the 1024x at the moment, and the picture for me still has a scroll bar, although it doesn't really cut off that much of the picture. With the 800x600 setting, it's easier to read, but at least on these new boards, you can increase the font size.

Firefox seems too slow, although when in IE, I noticed that sometimes only part of the picture(s) show.
What about making more use of thumbnails, (depending if the photo-hosting site allows)?

I'm not saying not to increase the photo limit, but what I've found, when I need to use a library or public computer, even though they're on broadband, that a picture or video can still take time to load.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
CM Hino

Post by CM Hino »

Hi here is my two cents
The idea of rising the limit to 10 pictures is a good idea.

I would like the comment made on a post(picture) limited to 1 page and then any other comments should be done in the general Discussion with a link back to picture.

Just my thoughts :wink:
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

CM Hino wrote:Hi here is my two cents
But 2 cents is not worth anything these days! :mrgreen:
CM Hino wrote:I would like the comment made on a post(picture) limited to 1 page and then any other comments should be done in the general Discussion with a link back to picture.
I think the comments should be kept to the same thread.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:I think the comments should be kept to the same thread.
I agree with you NF, keep replys to photos within that thread.

I also am in agreance with the increase to 10 pics per post but wonder howlong before someone decides they need to post 11. As for size, I think its fine as it is.

I also like your idea of a section for each state but the way it is currently is still ok as most add what state the pics are for in their title.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
National Link
Favourite Vehicle: DVR Locos CL 9-Q and BL 26-E

Post by National Link »

I'm In Favour For An Increase To 10 Pics. I Also Believe The Pixel Size Should Be Increased, Because Then I Don't Have To Keep Cropping The Photo To Make It Fit.
One Thousand ATDB Posts Can't Be Wrong.

Any views expressed are my own and do not reflect any views of my employers.
jb17kx
Favourite Vehicle: Irisbus Agoraline

Post by jb17kx »

National Link wrote:I'm In Favour For An Increase To 10 Pics. I Also Believe The Pixel Size Should Be Increased, Because Then I Don't Have To Keep Cropping The Photo To Make It Fit.
Have you heard of resize?
Selected artistic and gunzel photos from my collection - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jb17kx
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes - resizing is the answer to that.
Living in the Shire.
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

If the rules are changed to allow 10 photos per post which most people seem to agree with, would Admin. be upset if a post on a single subject still be broken up into two parts containing five photos in each.
I am asking this as the time it takes me to set up part one of my photo post i like to get it out on the board whilst i prepare part two for uploading. :?:
T1200
Administrator

Post by T1200 »

Red and Cream wrote:If the rules are changed to allow 10 photos per post which most people seem to agree with, would Admin. be upset if a post on a single subject still be broken up into two parts containing five photos in each.
I am asking this as the time it takes me to set up part one of my photo post i like to get it out on the board whilst i prepare part two for uploading. :?:
Definitely not a problem. That will still be perfectly fine.

Return to “News & Administration”