New Forum Software Installed

News and comments about this board.
MAN NG313
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NG313's

Re: New Forum Software Installed

Post by MAN NG313 »

Let me just remind everyone that the real people who got this all together is the PhpBB Development Team who spent about 4-5 years getting it coded (apparently there are over 200,000 lines of code in the whole thing). I am sure the phpBB Developers would like a Donation for their hard work from the forum Administrators.
I think the word "software" is being overused here, as technically phpBB is a script (because its free). Something like vBulletin or Invision Power Board are software's as they are made by companies and you actually have to pay for them :D

Thought I would just add that in, as people seemed to ignore that obvious fact.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fleet Lists wrote:I posted the same thing at about the same time but it just seems to have disappeared - that is the second time today that that has happened???????
Again tonight I posted a message trying to start page 84 in the ban the user above you thread but someone beat me to it while I was entering the data. After I pressed submit, I got message back that post had been entered successfully but it is not there - lost again.

So it appears as though this problem is still around.
Living in the Shire.
T1200
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310 CNG Volgren CR228L

Post by T1200 »

G1300 wrote:I am sure the phpBB Developers would like a Donation for their hard work from the forum Administrators.

Thought I would just add that in, as people seemed to ignore that obvious fact.
The definition of Open Source software is that it's free. Those guys know they're not going to be paid for it! What they get in return is a reputation...and a wide user base all using the software that this group of guys created.
http://www.intel.com/products/glossary/body.htm wrote:When the source code of a computer program is made available free of charge to the general public, it's known as open source. The basis of open source software is to produce more useful and bug-free products for everyone to use. ...
Reality continues to ruin my life.
mjja

Post by mjja »

Software doesn't mean commercial software. Technically, anything that can be translated into a set of instructions to be executed by a CPU is software.

Incidentally, a piece of trivia: the concept of software was invented by IBM when they were designing their System 360. All previous computers had been designed to do a single job, but the 360 was an all-rounder (ie you could put software on it to do just about anything) - hence the number. The development of the 360 was a bureaucrat's nightmare - everyone doing their bits without reporting to the boss. But it was the best product IBM ever put out (and that's quite a statement) and had an incredibly quick and cheap development phase.
Happy Gunzelling and remember, "Go By Rail!"

Michael Angelico
Deleted 16/4/2008

Post by Deleted 16/4/2008 »

Can we get this post locked? WOW! New software, get over it already! :roll:
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by CB80 »

BBI wrote:Can we get this post locked? WOW! New software, get over it already! :roll:
:roll: This is the place to discuss the new software, and any problems with the software. Rather than making new threads for each bug (which no doubt you would complain about).

If you don't like it, don't read it!
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

BBI wrote:Can we get this post locked? WOW! New software, get over it already! :roll:
I think you're overreacting a bit. I see nothing wrong with this thread whatsoever
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

T1200 wrote:For the benefit of other users, particularly those on dial-up, you have to wait for the page to load completely before the large text is applied. However, every subsequent view of each page will be at the right size.
I'm waiting for the page to load, and it's going back the original size again.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
T1200
Administrator

Post by T1200 »

Then there's the fact that it's a session-based thing. :oops:
interestedparty

Post by interestedparty »

Red and Cream wrote:I noticed when looking back on Centralians posts that his photos were missing on the new look board and wondered why. I then saw his query about the problem in this section but the reply only suggested a solution to future posts he makes. I believe it is because HTML is no longer recognized by the new software but is there a way around this that Admin. can utilize as it is a great shame if Centralians hard work and effort he put into his posts is lost never to be seen again. :(
Absolutely Red and Cream but it seems not, I had often came by here to look at all the great pics posted by Centralain and others such as yourself, all those great oldies now gone. I can go and look at modern day stuff simply by getting into my car, what a shame.
T1200
Administrator

Post by T1200 »

interestedparty wrote:Absolutely Red and Cream but it seems not, I had often came by here to look at all the great pics posted by Centralain and others such as yourself, all those great oldies now gone. I can go and look at modern day stuff simply by getting into my car, what a shame.
They are not "gone", rather quite to the contrary, the addresses are still there, you can manipulate the link to view them.

I guess that I would be willing to go through and edit them, because according to the (unreliable) search function there are only eight pages of threads where Centralian has posted, and less which he created himself. I would get through them eventually! It's not as simple as it sounds though...I would need to gain permission(s) to do it first.
interestedparty

Post by interestedparty »

T1200 wrote:
interestedparty wrote:Absolutely Red and Cream but it seems not, I had often came by here to look at all the great pics posted by Centralain and others such as yourself, all those great oldies now gone. I can go and look at modern day stuff simply by getting into my car, what a shame.
They are not "gone", rather quite to the contrary, the addresses are still there, you can manipulate the link to view them.

I guess that I would be willing to go through and edit them, because according to the (unreliable) search function there are only eight pages of threads where Centralian has posted, and less which he created himself. I would get through them eventually! It's not as simple as it sounds though...I would need to gain permission(s) to do it first.
I tried to manipulate/edit the links but with no luck, I am sure there is a way and good luck to you if you have any luck
C130

Post by C130 »

has the edit function being removed, as when i posted something today, i tryed to edit it(before anyone else posted after me) and it wouldn't let me.
T1200
Administrator

Post by T1200 »

I have decided to volunteer and manually fix up all the broken image links, so that they can still be seen.

This will be a very gradual process, mind.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

Busways K230UB wrote:has the edit function being removed, as when i posted something today, i tryed to edit it(before anyone else posted after me) and it wouldn't let me.
Was that in the 'Where is it' section? At the request of the moderator, editing of posts in that section has been disabled due to a couple of people changing their messages causing annoyance to others.
C130

Post by C130 »

yeah it was, i was trying to delete one double up post as the computor at school stuffed up and didnt show that i had posted, and once i posted again, both posts were there, hence making it look a bit stupid.
Grenda Driver
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94

Post by Grenda Driver »

I'm still getting the random log outs whilst browsing. Especially when in the Pictures/Videos Sub Forum.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move."
T1200
Administrator

Post by T1200 »

Grenda Driver wrote:I can't post (unless this works...), every time I click Submit, it logs me out and I have to log in again - the cycle keeps on going on and on... Any help?
T1200 wrote:Clear your browser's cookies, cache and authenticated sessions.
Did you do that?

In other matters, I seem to have stopped receiving email notifications for Private Messages.
Grenda Driver

Post by Grenda Driver »

T1200 wrote:
Grenda Driver wrote:I can't post (unless this works...), every time I click Submit, it logs me out and I have to log in again - the cycle keeps on going on and on... Any help?
T1200 wrote:Clear your browser's cookies, cache and authenticated sessions.
Did you do that?

In other matters, I seem to have stopped receiving email notifications for Private Messages.
Done that numerous times - keeps doing it...
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move."
T1200
Administrator

Post by T1200 »

Try temporarily disabling antivirus/firewall/other anti-nasty software then posting?

Try a different web browser?

Where is tiger_man when you need him? :lol: (He's always here when you don't! :twisted: )
tiger_man

Post by tiger_man »

T1200 wrote:Where is tiger_man when you need him? :lol: (He's always here when you don't! :twisted: )
Taking care of weekly exams at the moment :P

Anyway, Grenda Driver, what I need first is some info:

1) Operating System (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OSX, Ubuntu, etc)
2) Browser you are currently using
3) Do you experience the same issue with: (a) Other phpBB3 forums and (b) any other form of forum software (e.g. MyBB, vBulletin, etc.)
4) Any software such as Anti-Virus, pop up blocker, Anti-Spyware, etc software currently installed.

You can either reply via this thread or via PM
Grenda Driver

Post by Grenda Driver »

1. Windows XP Professional SP2 (Legit!)
2. IE7.0.5730.11 with IE7 Pro V2.1
3. Only this forum, tried a few others - but I stay logged in. Only this one.
4. AVG7.5, Windows Defender, AdAware 2007.

Hope this helps!

Much appreciated.
Deleted 16/4/2008

Post by Deleted 16/4/2008 »

Try Mozilla and see if it works.
tiger_man

Post by tiger_man »

BBI wrote:Try Mozilla and see if it works.
On top of that I would also try and check that windows is as up to date as possible as it could be an Internet Explorer bug that may have been corrected by now.

Return to “News & Administration”